PDA

View Full Version : Should Get Real Interesting Real Fast...

Josh Smith
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
As part of college, I had to take both a lubricants class and a fluids class.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/interesting.jpg

I wonder what I'll come up with? Woo hoo!

Josh <><

leadeye
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Looks like the beginnings of Josh Lube.:-D

runfiverun
07-24-2009, 09:52 PM
unless you are using the ivory for the stearate [as a lubricant]you won't need it.
as you have nice carriers there and nothing to carry.
so it ain't got nothing to bind.

Josh Smith
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Yup, it's there for the lube.

Ok, let me see if I can't tell you how I'm thinking...

You know how you have, say, 10w-30 motor oil?

The idea is to use stearate for a heavier lube, and the petroleum jelly for the lighter lube. Same thing with the tallow it contains.

I'm thinking if I get the right amounts of everything, it should work well over a wider range than some other lubes out there, but made with stuff that's easier to get.

Josh <><

Josh Smith
07-25-2009, 01:48 AM
This stuff works! No more lead fouling with the tumble lube bullets!

Of course it takes longer to lube them. You dip the bottom driving band into the mix, pull it out and let it cool.

When you load it, the lube spreads perfectly into the grooves. I messed up the first couple times figuring I'd need a lot, and gummed up my press. Turns out that a litte goes a looooooooooong way. This will last me for years.

Oh, recipe:

2 cups or so 50/50 mix purified beeswax and paraffin

1 tsp or so petroleum jelly

a few slivers of Ivory Soap

This stuff is extremely sticky, even when dry, but doesn't seem to gum up my 1911. I loaded 50 more rounds. We'll see how it lasts the night - I'm hoping it will dry and come off the cases, as there's a thin film on them. No biggie, just don't really like it on my hands.

Josh <><

Whitespider
07-25-2009, 07:56 AM
My latest concoction is designed to be petroleum free, and is working extremely well even at 2300 FPS in my Hornet. The fouling remains soft, a single dry patch leaves the bore sparkling.
½ cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 heaping teaspoon Ivory soap (dissolve in heated Crisco)
1 bottle LLA (blend into heated Crisco/Ivory mixture)
1 LB bees wax
1 cheese wrapper (carnauba wax)
Gulf Wax (canning paraffin) add until desired consistency is obtained (I used about an 1/8 LB and it flows through my lube-sizer without heat)
I’m thinking it would be a good BP lube without the paraffin added, hmmmmm?

runfiverun
07-26-2009, 02:17 AM
i don't think the lla would be very compatable with b/p.
starmetal is working on using plain ole soap [irish spring] without anything else right now.

Tom W.
07-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Someone tell me, what is paraffin made of???

rhead
07-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Someone tell me, what is paraffin made of???

It is one of the leftovers from lubricating oil production. the paraffines are removed in order to lower the pour point.

Josh Smith
07-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Well, I cut the mixture in half with some vegetable oil.

Found a hand held strainer that fits perfectly in the pot to my old mess kit.

First try around it came out too thin. I took some out, added more wax, and dunked 'em again.

After cooling, it seems perfect.

Pretty dang slick, but sticky as well - you can tell the wax and petroleum jelly are in there.

The bullets are lubed up like .22LR, only a bit thinner so as not to gum up my press.

I'm not overly concerned about filling the lube recesses at this point - tumble lube bullets are meant to be coated, anyway.

Doing all this on an old Coleman stove that still runs on white gas and has an iffy generator. My other (bigger) one, the generator's just toast. Gonna have to find a new one.

I'll load up a few tomorrow or Monday and see how well the thinner stuff works!

Josh

oldtoolsniper
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Doing all this on an old Coleman stove that still runs on white gas and has an iffy generator. My other (bigger) one, the generator's just toast. Gonna have to find a new one.

Josh
Rebuild the stoves. Info below.

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont-coleman.html

357maximum
07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Josh

You can buy a generator replacement or buy a kit that replaces the tank/generator to run on propane.........$8 a gallon for coleman fuel or $14 for a 20lb propane tank refill :roll: easy choice there...and no pumping......====== consistancy is more easily regulated with propane.

WalMarts in our area actually carry the stuff to do both..it is in the camping section.

runfiverun
07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
paraffin is also a direct by-product of oil production and is present in some car oils like quakerstate.
it was/is a hinderance to oil production[from the ground] in some areas.

StarMetal
07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
paraffin is also a direct by-product of oil production and is present in some car oils like quakerstate.
it was/is a hinderance to oil production[from the ground] in some areas.

In the early days it was in oils, especially the ones from PA, but today all the refineries remove it. That's exactly what the unit I worked at Sunoco did. They call it MEK Unit, but the correct name is Dewaxing & Deoiling. MEK is the solvent for washing oil from the paraffin. We had these big filters on a 20 foot long cylinder and about 12 foot in diameter. They are a frame structure covered with canvas with vacuum nozzles inside the cylinder putting a suction on the canvas. The housing for the filters is enclosed and blanketed with inert gas. You fill a certain level of the filter up with an unprocessed oil/wax solution and adjust the vacuum. This builds a cake of parraffin on the cylinder as the cylinder revolves through the solution level picking it up due to the vacuum. As it rolls around a knife slices it off the cylinder and a screw convey carries it away. All the time there are MEK sprayers spraying this paraffin cake and the vacuum sucks it through along with the oil leaving almost oil free paraffin. Then the paraffin goes over to distillation and there the reminder of the oil and the MEK solvent is removed. Then you have pretty much pure paraffin.

Joe

Tom W.
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
So then it has something to do with petroleum ???
Kinda shoots a hole into a petroleum free product.... Unless I'm missing something....

rhead
07-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Kinda shoots a hole into a petroleum free product.... Unless I'm missing something....

If it hadn't the petroleum jelly would have.

cajun shooter
07-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Tom W, The process that was described by Starmetal states that the oil is removed from the paraffin. I make my own lube from time to time(USE NASA MOST OF TIME) and I can tell you that I have no ill effects from adding the paraffin. It helps give the lube body. The paraffin that is sold by Gulf Wax is meant for canning and I'm sure that it contains no oil. When I was a kid they had several paraffin candies that were filled with kool aid or some sweet liquid. You chewed on the paraffin until you became tired and spit it out. I think that the LLA in the above recipe would be the ingredient that I would leave out or you will have a barrel full of tar.

waksupi
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
When I was a kid they had several paraffin candies that were filled with kool aid or some sweet liquid. You chewed on the paraffin until you became tired and spit it out.

You were supposed to spit that out?????!!!!! [smilie=1:

badgeredd
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
You were supposed to spit that out?????!!!!! [smilie=1:

Cures diarrhea, I hear.:-D:-D

kodiak1
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
runfiverrun
A bit of a problem with oil production from parraffin wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it that shtuff is a real pain in the ceaster.

It can get so bad it will freeze the rods in the hell the jack can't lift it and it won't go back down. Add winter to the mix and see what that stuff can do at -40 out side. I hate paraffin and i wouldn't use it in Black Powder at all.

Just this knot heads opinion.
Ken.

runfiverun
07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
we have problems with it from time to time in production enancement too.
especially in the wells that produce both natural gases and oil as their topper.
it'll kill a well dead even when it is full of high grade ceramic proppant.
you then have to clean out the wax and leave the 90g worth of proppant in the hole.
glad that isn't my department.

StarMetal
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
runfiverrun
A bit of a problem with oil production from parraffin wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it that shtuff is a real pain in the ceaster.

It can get so bad it will freeze the rods in the hell the jack can't lift it and it won't go back down. Add winter to the mix and see what that stuff can do at -40 out side. I hate paraffin and i wouldn't use it in Black Powder at all.

Just this knot heads opinion.
Ken.

That's what is wrong with any paraffin in diesel fuel, freezes up the fuel line. Actually the stuff is a good lubricant. One of the petroleum engineers once told me that if it wasn't for paraffin having such a high freezing point that it was damn near the perfect lubricant.

I guess if it came out of petroleum it's a petroleum related product, but it's different from the oils. Paraffin, or wax, comes from other sources too.

It's true it's used in food products and as an emulsifier in chocolate. I always thought the cheaper the chocolate the more paraffin that was in it.

Joe

rhead
07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
CS It is not a matter of it containing oil. It IS oil. Just like diesel fuel or gasoline is. It is one of the products that is removed from the crude. It makes an OK carrier for lubes and will stiffen up a mix, but isn't very slick itself.

Whitespider
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Paraffin is petroleum free.
Paraffin and petroleum are separated during the refining processes; paraffin isn’t a petroleum product (it’s more of a petroleum contaminate), it’s just a by-product of the refining process.

…I think that the LLA in the above recipe would be the ingredient that I would leave out or you will have a barrel full of tar.
I’m with ya’ on the LLA leaving a “cooked” residue in the bore, but….
Funny thing, with the addition of the Crisco I don’t get the residue from the LLA, nor do I get the smoke. It’s almost like the Crisco keeps the alox from burning and keeps fouling soft enough that each shot pushes the fouling from previous round out the bore with it. No kidding, after 50-rounds a single, tight fitting, dry patch comes out with just a bit of black on it; the second dry patch comes out almost perfectly clean and the bore sparkles end to end. With revolvers I don’t get the hard carbon build-up just ahead of the case mouth, just a little soft waxy stuff that pushes right out with a dry patch.

Tom W.
07-28-2009, 06:07 AM
O.K. I ain't so confused now....

Josh Smith
07-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm having trouble getting an even coat.

Finally achieved a fairly even coat using 1lb of 50/50 beeswax/paraffin and 1/2 cup 90wt gear lubricant.

The boolits are slicker 'n snot, and have a fairly consistent coating.

I'm thinking though that I'm going to end up having to go with a new, normal mould (this is a Lee tumble bullet mould) and a lube/sizing die before I'm totally happy.

Josh <><

Echo
07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I learned in HS (Houston - oil country) that paraffin was a fraction of some crude oils (asphalt is another, of some (generally) western crudes), and the fractionating process pulls most of that out at the lower (lowest?) level of the fractionating towers. Process may be different now...

Josh Smith
07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Here is a non-petroleum based lube for black powder. I suppose it would work with smokeless, as well. It was developed by a bunch of crazy muzzeloading folks, but I guess it works well!

Moose Snot:

10 oz. bees wax
2 oz. fresh opossum rendered phatt-they say it goes rancid quick but truth is it's already rancid when you scrape the phatt off'n it.
1 oz. mares sweat. You need acess to a horse Josh, then run it hard and collect the sweat.
About dozen garden slugs boiled in a little water with some dish liquid. It liquifies the slugs.
They sure are slippery too.
Mix all under low heat, just enough to melt the bees wax, pour into old blue Vics-Salve jar as the dark blue bottle glass keeps u.v. rays from ruining the melted slugs.

Credit to Maxiball/Jeager106 on another forum for providing this info. I may even try it! :D

Josh <><