PDA

View Full Version : Shot load question...

lead-1
07-24-2009, 02:56 AM
Several years ago I loaded my trap loads with Winchester 452AA which is an obsolete powder, now that I am out I am thinking of switching to Red Dot. I am using a MEC 650 loader and the question is "do you shotgun reloaders think I will have to change the wad pressure if all I am changing is the powder"?

lurch
07-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Unless you are really set on red dot, I'd suggest clays. Burns much cleaner. As to wad pressure, any time you change the powder, you are likely going to change the bulk for a suitable charge. Consequently, the wad pressure needed to make it all fit in the hull will change some. The good thing is, the plastic wad/shot cup combo is pretty forgiving if you over do it a bit.

So I'd say yes, your wad pressure will change, but the wad will help even things out and find its own happy spot. Try a few and see how the crimp goes. Adjust from there and you'll be set.

lead-1
07-24-2009, 03:44 AM
I wasn't sure on the wad pressure as I know that Red Dot is a lot bulkier than the 452 was. I am not completely set on a replacement powder and Clays, WSF and WST were being kicked around. Is Clays a flake powder like Red Dot, I think WSF is the replacement for 452 so it is probably about the same consistancy. Does the burn rate factor into the wad pressure like bullet depth does on a metallic round?

[smilie=b: too many choices

southpaw
07-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Clays is the cleanest powder that I have found. I have tried many of the others but nothing was better than clays. Yes it is a flake powder. You wont be disappointed.

You will have to play with the wad pressure and see what works for you.

Jerry Jr.

lead-1
07-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'll buy me a pound of Clays to experiment with.

Matt_G
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll buy me a pound of Clays to experiment with.

Good choice.
I think you are going to like Clays. :mrgreen:

USSR
07-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I switched years ago from Red Dot to Solo 1000. It's the cleanest burning powder that I have found.

Don

Rockydog
07-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Wad pressure used to be very important when paper shells were loaded with stacked cork, cardboard and felt wads. With plastic hulls and plastic wads I pay very little attention to it other than to set it so that the indicator needle on my MEC loader makes a slight bump when the wad contacts the powder. Just enough to see it move. Too much pressure collapse the wad base and leads to deep crimps that leak lead though a center hole in the crimp etc. RD

nonferrous
08-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Not only is Clays a great trap powder, it's nice to have around for a lot of popular handgun loads and it does a good job with them as well.

Rrusse11
08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Try some of the Alliant Clay Dot, I just got a jug recently, and really like it. Supposed to be a clone of Hodgdon Clays at about 20% cheaper, you do have to buy it in 8# 'ers but.
Cheers,
R*2

HWooldridge
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I also vote Clays - very clean burning. I hunt dove with 7/8 oz loads of #7-1/2 in a light 12 ga Bernadelli Elio double gun and the barrel insides will look like mirrors at the end of a long day of shooting.