PDA

View Full Version : management!!!

mike in co
07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
is it possible to make a stickie/folder sub set on this forum...????
the topic would be:

shooting gas check boolits without gas checks.....

its like every week someone asks the SAME QUESTION.

just thinking out loud

mike in co

sundog
07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
ahh, mikey. I understand your pain, bro....

oldtoolsniper
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Is it ok to do that? :kidding:

rhead
07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
No one would read it they would have to be directed to it.

cabezaverde
07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Ya know, I almost made the same post yesterday.

Nora
07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I think a sticky would be good, but also have a title that will be so blatant that it will be the first to come up on a search. I've tried to search for things, not to find them and give up after about 10 or 12 pages. Then ask the question and be given a link that was posted but a few days before but was on page 15 of my search.

Nora

Fire_stick
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
oldtoolsniper,

:lol:

I almost fell out of my chair when I read through this thread and got to your comment.

mtnman31
07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I tend to ignore them - it's easier than getting worked up about it or trying to find a solution or new rule.

If a commonly asked question post shows up and it has a lot of replies I might check it out because it may be something unique or new. Personally, I find the old "need a good load for XX caliber" questions annoying. They ask for a load recipie and provide no background info. Don't ask the question unless you can provide some specifics with it, like make of gun, molds you have, powders you prefer, and if you have measured the bore.

syh
07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
We should add a page on this to the wiki!

;)

snaggdit
07-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Yeah! How is that coming? BTW, back FINALLY from AR! Only a 14 1/2 hour drive today!

Bret4207
07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
There was supposed to be a sticky on it. I thought I did it some time back, but I can;t find it now.

Hey Mods, you want to do this I'd make "sticky" it in every section in bold red type.

I'm all for it, there are a hundred posts on this.

45nut
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
OK,, beyond the "Classics & Stickies" area you want what?

mike in co
07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
ken,
is it possible to make a "folder" that has all/most of the post in the history of this site , is stickie'd somewhere. just subject: "gas check/gc boolits without gas checks/gc"

if you do a seach how many do you find ?

mike

45nut
07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
OK,, best option is to give me a link that best covers the topic.. more than one link is cool too.

mdi
07-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I can rarely find anything I'm looking for on the "search" thingy. Could it be me? Naaaahhhhh!

mike in co
07-24-2009, 02:19 PM
the problem is our search function sucks.....sorry but its true.

i did a seach several ways and got nothing...yet we all know they are out there.

i was hoping admin had a better seach tool

i have seached multiple times on various subjects....and get no results..even tho i know its out there.

can you search for gc or gas check and the word out or ???

mike in co

waksupi
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Mike, I just did a search for gas checks, and got over 500 responses.

Bret4207
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Ric , can you just copy the one from Classics and stickies ( I knew I'd find it) and stickie it to the top of cast boolits? Maybe in bold red type?

waksupi
07-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Ric , can you just copy the one from Classics and stickies ( I knew I'd find it) and stickie it to the top of cast boolits? Maybe in bold red type?

Clue me in, Brett. What do you want stuck? As you probably know, all I have a chance to do is skim the posts each day, and Mike's post just happened to catch my eye. Gimme a link, and I'll stick that sucker. Not smart enough to do it in red, though!

anachronism
07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
How about an FAQ section that only mods can post to & edit?

imashooter2
07-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah! Let's add another sticky. That's sure to fix the problem!:roll:

MT Gianni
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
How about a sub-forum. This is as popular a subject among new guys as some of our sub-furums.

masscaster
07-24-2009, 11:47 PM
If you've posted in any these types of threads you can go into your profile and search through your posts for where they're located. It'll take a little reading but they'll be listed there. Time consuming, yes.
Just a suggestion.
masscaster

syh
07-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Coming from someone who's relatively new (And therefore constantly looking for info), the search function is nearly impossible since you get 500 results, and the one you're looking for is hidden somewhere on page 13 or something.

Also many of the sticky threads are filled with thanks and random comments, which is great for a normal thread, but distracts from the actual info.

I know there was a Wiki in the works, which would be ideal to solve the problem at hand, but I haven't heard any progress in a while. I'm offering to help if someone can point me toward whoever's heading it up!

Bent Ramrod
07-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe a Poll would do it. Something like this:

1. Yes it is possible and it's my secret to "Cast Boolit Accuracy at 2800 ft/sec."

2. Yes it is possible, and accuracy is no different.

3. Yes it is possible, but accuracy suffers.

4. I dunno--why don't you try it and tell us how it went for you?

5. No, it is utterly impossible.

6. It is not only impossible, it is illegal under the Strict Rules of Cast Shooting.

The enquiring Pilgrim could just look at the pretty-color bars and judge for himself.

Me, I don't read those threads and won't start until I run out of gas checks.[smilie=1:

mike in co
07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Mike, I just did a search for gas checks, and got over 500 responses.

actually that is what i'm talking about......
none of the first page of those has anything to do with NO gas check.
how many would you page thru looking for ONE that was about no gc >

the search tool shows no results when looking for WITHOUT gas check.

which gets back to my original request, if mgmt could sort the 500 results for a second time looking for no or without or what ever. select those and put them in a file with a label.

mike in co

mike in co
07-25-2009, 04:23 PM
i just did a search on "NO GAS CHECK".....

you get the same results as "GAS CHECK"

BECAUSE THE SEARH TOOL IGNORES THE WORD "NO"

like i said it does not work.....

mike in co

mike in co
07-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah! Let's add another sticky. That's sure to fix the problem!:roll:

thanks for adding something positive to the discussion.

Maven
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
The search engine wouldn't help much if the PB bullet in question is one of the .30cal. "group buy" types and is listed under GB Mold Results or something like Maven's Day at the Range with the 30-150-TL cast bullet or something similar. To tell the truth, it never would have occurred to me to post my results under a PB heading, even though in hindsight it would have been perfectly logical to do so.

mike in co
07-25-2009, 04:55 PM
maven,
ya got me lost with that one.....

the subject was shooting gc boolits without gc's......

did i miss something ....

mike in co

Maven
07-25-2009, 05:27 PM
mike, I guess I was trying to make the point that a search engine may not produce the intended result and that perhaps the writer/author could mention whether the CB in question was GC'd or PB'd, but then again, I don't know how such threads are stored or cross-referenced. However, I often see the same question(s) asked repeatedly and wonder whether the search function was used or used, but the results were too vague to be of immediate use: Who wants to read through 500 posts anyway?

45nut
07-25-2009, 05:39 PM
An idea for someone would be to write up a clear and content rich thread we can work with out here.................

Bret4207
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Clue me in, Brett. What do you want stuck? As you probably know, all I have a chance to do is skim the posts each day, and Mike's post just happened to catch my eye. Gimme a link, and I'll stick that sucker. Not smart enough to do it in red, though!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48857