PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200

Four Fingers of Death
07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
has anyone had any experience with these rifles? I have an old M17 Sporter with a stuffed barrel. The local gunstore has these new with a 3-9 Bushnell scope and rings, set up ready to go for $AU595.

I was looking forward to re-furbishing the M17, but didn't notice when I bought it that the stock was obviously made for someone with small hands and it places my hand touching the bolt which wouldn't be a pleasant situation with heavy loads.

Besides that a reasonable/good barrel sells here for $AU450 and up (then you have to fit it), so I'd probably have change with the Stevens/Savage and then sell the M17 Sporter.

I'm thinking that any rifle associated with Savage would be a shooter.

Any rifle this cheap will probably require a bit of elbow grease on my part later on.

Ben
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
The best part of the Stevens 200 ( Savage ) rifle, in my opinion, is it's barrel.

Many of these rifles are shooting sub inch groups at 100 yds. right out of the box.

Ben

jack19512
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a Stevens 200 in .223 caliber and I like it a lot. The trigger isn't the best but I can live with it. I think it is a good rifle for the money it cost me.

jack19512
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Many of these rifles are shooting sub inch groups at 100 yds. right out of the box.

I agree, mine is totally stock and I can't complain about the accuracy.

07-23-2009, 11:31 PM
I love mine, mine is 223. I adjusted my trigger down from 7 pounds down to about 3. And i could not be happier. Now i just need to find some coyotes.

MT Gianni
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Mine is also in 223. It may be one of the ugliest guns ever produced and the trigger takes concentration but it is a shooter.

NoDakJak
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Naaah! The Model 800 Mossberg was even uglier and the ones that I have handled normally had a much worse trigger. You can't argue with success however. While calling coyotes once I called in a family group. My hunting partner dropped three of the four running coyotes before they could get over the hilltop. I never even got a shot.
Neil

Four Fingers of Death
07-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I picked up a Mossberg 30/30 the other day, boy, that is one homely looking rifle :)

I think I will hang out for a Marlin 3006. O/seas at the moment I will check back in mid Sept when I get home. Thanks for the input.

fordwannabe
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I love the savages. I had a poorly shooting 308 barrel on mine and in 15 minutes I changed it to a tackdriving son of a gun, screw one barrel out and the next in. Want to change calibers screw one out the next one in it's really about that easy(just make sure you use a headspace gauge to do it). And I know I said I didn't like the barrel that was on it but I think it was a fluke I have 3 others now that all shot great out of the box. Oh yeah the barrel that is on my 308 now I bought from another savageshooter for $20. It's the one I used to shoot the blessed gumballs at 100yards, it's ashooter. Tom

Four Fingers of Death
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
I had a friend years ago, only had one rifle, a Savage 110 I think the model is. He had 22/250 and a 308 Bbls, a set of go/no go gauges for each, a Savage spanner and two scopes mounted in Weaver rings and it had a long one piece Weaver mount. He used to change Bbls easily and firred the scopes very carefully, wiggling them into the mount the same way each time and then checked them with a bore sight. I don't think he saved much over the cosy of an extra Savage, but he was happy and he sure was deadly afield.