PDA

View Full Version : Core Material

JSH
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I have a few rifles that I would like to slug the throats on. Dead soft round balls work, but would really like a bit more length to my reference piece. Any of you guys have some dead soft lead core material I could purchase?
A piece of 30 about 24" long a piece of 6.5 about 12" and a 12" piece of 35 caliber. I really want/need somthing in 30 caliber for a K31 project I have going.
Jeff

BT Sniper
07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I have read people use the fishing sinkers with holes through the middle with good sucess. I know it is not the length you wanted but I heard the hole through the middle made it alot easier to slug

phil218b
07-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Go to Brownells and get some cerrosafe. If you want the throat it will cast a perfect chamber and throat for you and is reusable.

JSH
07-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I have slugged all of my dedicated cast bullet shooters with either round balls, fishing weights or dead soft lead core material. I have used cerosafe and have several ingots of it. The reason I wanted to slug the chamber is for future reference down the road. I have a bunch of plastic containers that I use and lable with the serial# and caliber of each one. I have some throat/neck issues I am working with.
I had a few odds and end pieces of what I guessed to be core material, that I had used a couple of times before. I can't find what I did with the pieces I had left. I did the original pretty much as Veral describes. Worse comes to worse, I will just make a mold and pour some from my stash of dead soft sheathing. Should not be to hard to take a couple of pieces of flat bar aluminum and drill a hole in it.
jeff