PDA

View Full Version : how to use a krammer/miha mold ?

mike in co
07-23-2009, 05:20 AM
ok i have seen handled pin molds....but this crammer style is new to me.....
so i aint bashful....how does one use this style mold ?
and if there is a thread out there it did not show up in search...but you can send me to it,

thanks
mike in co

BABore
07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Look on Miha's web site. There's full instructions there. It has also been talked about here. Without ever having set hands on one, I can tell that the pins are retained to one of the block halves with guide pins and C-clips. The pictures show a limited amount of sideways travel. Seems obvious that you cast the boolits, cut the sprue, tap the hinge, open the mold, and turn it over so the pins can index outward some and the mold is upside down. If they don't release, you tap the pins over some and rap the hinge again while it's upside down.

fredj338
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Look on Miha's web site. There's full instructions there. It has also been talked about here. Without ever having set hands on one, I can tell that the pins are retained to one of the block halves with guide pins and C-clips. The pictures show a limited amount of sideways travel. Seems obvious that you cast the boolits, cut the sprue, tap the hinge, open the mold, and turn it over so the pins can index outward some and the mold is upside down. If they don't release, you tap the pins over some and rap the hinge again while it's upside down.

I have two moulds modifed to Cramer from ERik. They work pretty much as you describe. The pins are self centering when you close the mould & usually the wt. of the bullet pulls the pin out when you turn the mould over. Great system for quantity HP casting. It's only slightly slower than non HP moulds.

44man
07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Can anyone post a picture?

Jaybird62
07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Try this link:

www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Cramer_style_casting

44man
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Try this link:

www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Cramer_style_casting (http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Cramer_style_casting)
That is unreal!

Wayne Smith
07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I push the pins with my fingers in welder's gloves rather than use a mallet.

GabbyM
07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
That is unreal!

I was impressed also.
I'm on the list for one of MiHecs #503 HP 44 cal Cramer molds and have two of his #503 six cavities ordered. May need to get a new revolver just to keep up with all these boo lits.

Dale53
07-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I am totally sold on Miha's moulds.

I do not yet have a hollow point Cramer style (I am on the list to get the #503 hollow point) but have used a friend's MeHec .45 ACP Hollow Point Cramer mould. It is a piece of cake to use and Miha's pictures accurately show the method that works. Just flat EXCELLENT tooling all the way!

I DO have a MeHec six cavity #68 mould and have cast several thousand bullets with it. WONDERFUL mould! I can cast 21 lbs of match quality bullets in an hour without rushing. THAT is excellent, for sure!

Dale53

Down South
07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I use gloved hand to push the pins out too. It's a piece of cake.