PDA

View Full Version : Can I tumble lube any bullet?

Nate1778
07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
need clarification and I used the search feature to no avail. Can I tumble lube all bullets, or is it just Lees tumble bullets? I really am not ready to get into pan lubing just yet, and wander if Lees Alox will work with all bullets?

fredj338
07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Sure, your results may vary, but if it's got some kind of groove, the Alox will stick to it.

mike in co
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
when i started, i double tumble lubed and then used a lee push thru sizer.....some boolits dont need sizing. the sizer wipes the excess off the od.

mike in co

Shiloh
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I've done it successfully with .38 and .45 Others on the forum have done it with other calibers. Can't speak about rifle boolits as I've never done them.

Shiloh

243winxb
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes, i tested using 45acp bullets using Xlox. Make sure you use enough, the bullets should have a varnish color to them. Warm lube, about 1 teaspoon to 8lbs/300 bullets. From Lee-
Liquid Alox application

Best results in applying liquid alox are when the alox is heated before applying, or thinned with paint thinner. This makes it flow more easily, and results in a more even coat. One technique is to boil water and pour it into a coffee mug, and then drop the bottle of liquid alox into the mug for about five minutes.

Place your freshly cast bullets into something about the size of a Cool Whip bowl and drop a few drops of liquid Alox on the bullets. Mix the bullets around until they are all coated. Lay the freshly coated bullets on some wax paper to dry. Liquid alox will usually dry enough overnight to reload the next day, depending upon the humidity. Tacky bullets can be dusted with powdered graphite.

If you subscribe to the "more is better" line of thought, your coated bullets may never dry. Don't go for a "golden" color but rather just a light varnish. If you discover that your bullets are sticky the next day, you can get by with using a little less the next time. Keep reducing until the "stickiness" is gone by the next day.

If you are sizing your cast bullets, it is necessary to lube them first. Because the sizer will remove some of the surface of a larger diameter bullet, you may need to re-lubricate the bullets after they have been sized.

Many of our bullets are of the "TL" or Tumble Lube design. These bullets have many shallow grooves that are perfect for allowing Liquid Alox to adhere to a great amount of surface. It has been reported that the accuracy of these bullets is high.

Nate1778
07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys for the clarification. One day I will get into the pan lube but for now I believe I am climbing uphill as it is.