PDA

View Full Version : .58 cal lube cutter

mtnman31
07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I am slowly learning to use the lathe and have a few small learning projects in my queue; so far just simple tools and accessories. I used a scrap of brass hex rod to make a lube cutter for .58 cal minie balls. It was my first time using brass and boy, is that stuff nice to work with. It took me a couple hours (don't laugh, I'm still a novice) to get this turned out. If I had to do it again I would forget the knurling, it didn't line up perfectly and will probably just collect lube once I put it into full service. I just wanted an excuse to play with the knurling tool. I used a drill bit to rough out the center and an adjustable reamer to finish it off. I also got to experiment with cutting a taper. I am happy - it works good and looks presentable. Also, for me, the brass feels better in the hand than do the aluminum cutters - it has just the right amount of heft to it.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/58_Cal_Lube_Cutter.JPG

Buckshot
07-22-2009, 02:34 AM
..............Very nice work. Yes, brass IS nice to work with. When turning it the metal comes off and there is that gleaming surface shining up at you. It just sems to melt off under the tool bit doesn't it? You WILL appreciate that knurling after pan lubing a days worth of Minie' boolits. If you're like me (and I don't know how it happens) but I end up with lube in my hair, ears, on my shirt and mostly all overover the surface I'm sitting at.

http://www.fototime.com/AB8239CAA6DD6A0/standard.jpg

I make mine out of steel as I too don't care for the 'feel' of aluminum. Brass looks like it belongs cutting out Minie' boolits as it's kind of 'period', but it's also kind of expensive :-) Get yourself a good 10" Nicholson or Simmonds lathe file to do the tapers. That way you don't have to monkey around resetting your compound after cutting a non-critical taper. Be sure to put a wooden file handle on the tang. You don't want the tang driven through the palm of your hand if something grabs :-)

...............Buckshot