PDA

View Full Version : lee conversion fromsingle stage to 3 hole progressive

gds
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I stopped by a gunshop today as I was traveling and saw an old lee box. As I got to looking at it and looking in the already opened box, I pulled out the instructions. It said that it was a conversion unit to turn a single stage press into a 3 hole progressive press using the die plates and turrets of the Pro 1000. It mounts on top of the single stage press and has an attachment to attache to the ram. Has any one ever heard of this item. I have tried searching for it, but I cannot remember exactly what it said on the box.

07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
An interesting concept. Obviously, it must not have worked too well, or Lee would still be offering it. Kind or like their all-in-one die?

Pepe Ray
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Could it be that there is a "semantics" problem?

Lee's original 3 hole turret press was a single stage in action type. The die positions were changed by hand. They then offered a conversion kit to turn it into a ' sort of' progressive.
There have been several modifications since.
See if that version jibes with what you saw.
Pepe Ray

gds
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Could it be that there is a "semantics" problem?

Lee's original 3 hole turret press was a single stage in action type. The die positions were changed by hand. They then offered a conversion kit to turn it into a ' sort of' progressive.
There have been several modifications since.
See if that version jibes with what you saw.
Pepe Ray

What you describe sounds like the original turret press. I have one of those.

This actually threaded into the die holder and an extension attached to the ram. It sat on the top of a single stage press.

Legion489
07-25-2009, 02:38 PM
If you have a set of the DBI (now Krouse) HANDLOADER'S DIGESTS they have a "what's new in reloading section". I get a kick out of reading them as there is ALOT of Lee stuff that went over like a lead ballon, like their 3 hole conversion kit. In the book MODERN RELOADING Dick Lee trashes all other companies for upgrading, improving and dropping products, but NOT ONE WORD about the Lee stuff that was crap.

Sixgun Symphony
07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
How much was it? If it was cheap, then I might have bought it for a novelty.

I suppose that it was made to be mounted onto the Challenger press. That is a really small press and it would look strange with a turrent mounted on top.

Was this really an auto-index progressive set-up? Did it have bullet feeder tubes and all that?

gds
07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
It was under $20 It was set up just like the pro 1000. Just mounted to the top of a single stage press. It did not come with the shell carrier or case feeder, according to the instructions they had to be purchased separately.

Sixgun Symphony
07-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Can you give me the name of the shop with city and state.

gds
07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Bryansteen in Roanoke, va

Sixgun Symphony
07-27-2009, 07:46 PM

gds
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
sure. you gonna ride by there and pick it up? lol

Sixgun Symphony
07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
sure. you gonna ride by there and pick it up? lol

It's been sitting on the shelf for years, likely decades. I might just mail in a check for the $20 and shipping costs. I would mount it to a Lee Challenger press to see if it works.

Probably not though, I have already blown my reloading budget with the new Champion press and custom swaging dies I bought online from CH/4D.