PDA

View Full Version : Marie's SIG-Sauer Mosquito Arrives

9.3X62AL
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
As soon as we can disconnect ourselves from the grandson (being away for 2 weeks was a real bummer!), Marie and I are going to Hemet to pick up the NIB Mosquito. We hope to give it a good test drive sometime this weekend, and she will post a comment or two about the new toy. Assuming I get to shoot it--I might say a little my own self.

9.3X62AL
03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
OK--got the little critter home, and went through the owner's manual. Translated from the original German, the English text is a little stilted--but understandable.

I was assigned by the gun's new owner to get the critter cleaned and lubed for a shooting bit tomorrow or Sunday. Unlike many 22 LR plinker pistols, field stripping is simple--turn the disassembly lever 180*, pull the slide to the rear, and lift it off Walther PP- or Makarov-fashion. Unlike these two systems, the recoil spring is on a guide rod underneath and parallel to the fixed barrel. I removed the shipping preservative and established some lube on the slide rails and hammer strut, and generally wiped down the exposed surfaces.

I put a fired 22 LR case in the chamber, and tried the trigger out a bit. Double action is rather stiff--not Nagant-type stiff, but not S&W either. Single action wasn't bad at all--not a S&W M-41 by any means, but better than the PP-series Walthers' S/A strokes. If the D/A stroke smoothes out to Walther PP-level, all will be well.

Comparing a SIG P-226, the Mosquito, and a PP x 32 ACP, the Mosquito is between the other two in size and a little closer to the P-226. It's as if someone took a full-sized P-226 and reduced it about 10% in all dimensions. Barrel length is 4", and the manual indicates a variant with 5" barrel (Mosquito Sport). Like all of the P-220-series SIG-Sauers, ergonomics are GREAT. The grip fits both Marie's hands and my own very well, and the pistol points naturally and instinctively for us both. The sights are the service-type with square aspect and 3-dot arrangement. Elevation is semi-fixed, with 3 front sight blades of varying heights to adjust vertical targeting. The rear sight is screw-adjustable for windage. Those familiar with the P-series SIG-Sauers will find the slide stop, decocking lever, and disassembly lever in familiar locations--there's also a thumb safety roughly placed where S&W puts their safety/decocker. Pretty superfluous, and I hope that's not a pre-cursor to such additions on the centerfire line.

I think I'm going to like this little critter. I might even get to shoot it, after Marie's semester break is over.

Next installment--shooting the beast.