PDA

View Full Version : Bone Head cooling question

Nora
07-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I've never hunted with cast before less my ML which has always been home cast. So wile out throwing a few in the "mold of the week" I started thinking about ditching the J word this year and just using the real deal. I have always water dropped my rifle boolits which are of course not a good hunting round due to a poor wound channel. Ok so just air cool them, problem solved. (I don't play with any alloys past adding 50/50 to WW's to up the tin) Now here's the BUT, and the bone head part!? Is there any difference as to the point of impact down range between the two in just the cooling alone? Given boolit X both with gc's @ 1600fps, should both be considered identical in the form of target placement? Thanks in advance.

Nora

JMtoolman
07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I have shot quite a few big game animals in 55 years of using cast bullets. I have never noticed any different points of impact between water quenched or air cooled. The only difference is the tendency to lead more in the soft ones. I used to hunt with pure lead bullets in a 45/70, and after about eight shots it would start to lead quickly. But for hunting one doesn't normally need that many shots. The best answer is to use very soft lead and paper patch for hunting, this really works well! I shot an antelope a couple years ago with one of my 8 mm Mausers, using hard bullets. It was just like poking a rod through him, no shock what so ever. Finely broke his neck at 125 yards on the fifth shot! Won't ever do that again! Best regards, the toolman.

runfiverun
07-21-2009, 10:13 PM
nora: think about cutting the ww's with pure and waterdropping if you have accuracy problems with the aircooled.
you still need the accuracy ,but i do know straight ww's waterdropped will punch through tree stumps [pine] 10" in diameter at 1900 fps [muzzle] at 100 yds.
and not have much damage.
i have also had ww's straight from a handgun do the same thing at 800fps but get a bit of upset,not as much as i would like to see though in an animal.
i kinda fretted it till i had to shoot a doe with a broken leg from a handgun with the rcbs 98 gr rnfp from a revolver.
the shot was at 70 yds broadside the little boolit went right through both lungs and she went a total of 10 yds.
the damage to her lungs was about double what you would expect to see.
the shape of the boolit was responsible, not the velocity or diameter.
something else to think of.

geargnasher
07-21-2009, 11:32 PM
My experience hunting with cast is limited, but I have killed more than a few whitetails with boolits that didn't expand at all. Point is if you hit them where it counts you don't have to chase them. .30 caliber boolits may not expand but they "shore don't shrank none."

As far as poi with different alloys, I could post my experiences, but yours will probably be different, just try for the most accurate boolit you can make, then determine actual trajectory and sight in for your needs until you are 100% confident.

Gear

leadman
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Have you thought about trying Bruce Bs softpoint casting method ? It really isn't much of a burden to do as you anoly need a few for hunting.