PDA

View Full Version : Nose engraving

Pystis
03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Guys,

I was wondering how much engraving on the nose is usually acceptable? I mean when you push the boolit through the bore and mike the marks rifling left.
I suppose thereĀ“s no absolute truth, but IĀ“m pretty sure that you have opinions and experiences on this.

I asked this on Fatter 30 group buy thread, but I thought it would get more attention
here. I believe it is good to know for all of us newbies.

Jukka

JCherry
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Pystis,

I find that it is generally best for me to have the rifling just barely mark the bullet nose.

If you have too tight a fit the bullet may pull out of the case if you decide not to fire. Too tight a fit can also push the bullet further into the case and/or make it hard to close the bolt.

P.S. I read your post a little too fast the first time and just realized you may be referring to forceing a bullet through the bore to check for size of your bore and grooves. In this case use a pure lead bullet with some oil in the bore and get it as tight as possible. You want the best measurement you can get. I think the most important measurement you want is the size of your rifles throat.

Have Fun,

JCherry

felix
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
If the case size is large, and/or the boolit is short, more engraving would be desired, to support ignition mainly for the slow powders required for best accuracy. For alignment purposes, a bare minimum is sufficient, like for medium case capacity cartridges. A bare minimum is where there is no felt boolit nose resistance for either input or output into the chamber. ... felix

44man
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know, but it sounds like he is trying to slug his bore.
Pystis, could you please be a little more clear?

Pystis
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know, but it sounds like he is trying to slug his bore.
Pystis, could you please be a little more clear?

44man,

I have already slugged the bore. But thanks anyway.
My question wasn´t too clear, I apologize that.
What I ment was that is there any maximum bore riding nose diameter for example .300" bore. And does it affect accuracy.
I slugged the bore of one of my mosins with LEE C312-185 boolit and it miked .297" on lands, and the boolit´s nose dia is .299". That seems to work but how about boolit with .307" nose?

Reason for my question is that I am very interested in Fatter 30 group buy mold. It seems like it would fit my mosins throat pretty well, but the lands are tall and I was wondering if the .306"+ tapering to ,309" would be too much fo .297" bore?

Jukka

StarMetal
03-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Jukka,

Both Buckshot and I have those Steyr M95's which are 8x56R. As you know they have odd bore and groove dimensions and both Buckshot and I have shot .338 Lee bullets sized down for this rifle. When doing that, that .338 bullet becomes like the entire bullet engraves the rifling. The rifling is very deep on those rifles too. The results? Well for me, being I have receiver sights on mine, I've been able to start 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards. I've recovered bullets that weren't too messed up in the dirt and like I said the rifling is very deep on the entire bullet. So I guess it doesn't do alot of harm for the rifling to engrave the nose alot, at least not on the M95.

Joe

swheeler
03-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Jukka; I shoot a 8mm max boolit sized to .313 in my 91/30MN. I run them thru .325 sizer to lube and apply the gas check, then thru .313 push-thru sizer and tumble lube. This makes them into a TC looking boolit with about 1 inch of full dia bearing and about .300 of nose-250 grs. They shoot to the same point at 100 yds as the 185 grainers and are just as accurate, minute of clay pigeon. If you wanted a fat thirty penetrator-this should be it!You'll have to try to know for sure.
Scooter

Pystis
03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Folks,

Thanks for your responses.
IĀ“ll give the Fatter 30 a try. It should fit in my M91-30 anyway.

Jukka

Buckshot
03-26-2006, 07:06 AM
................Pystis, on bore riders I like to see engraving. I want to see a full width print of the lands on the nose. Below is a case in point.

http://www.fototime.com/49A561F0E959068/standard.jpg

These are from a small ring Mauser i have chambered to 30 Rooski Shortski. As you can see, the long Lyman 311284 on the left is well engraved. The shorter Lee C312-155-2R on the right is firmly in the ballseat of the leade.

BTW, I normally tumble lube all my bore riders before they get Lube-sized. They chamber much easier and don't have a tendancy to 'de-boolit' if extracted. Of course a good casegrip helps. Further it just kind of irks me to see all that bare lead rubbing on the lands all the way down the barrel.

I've never done a test to see if it increases accuracy. I know it doesn't hurt it any.

................Buckshot

trk
03-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Buckshot -

Could you start a thread on doing the 7.62x39 in a Mauser? I'd really like to see how y'all did it. (That is to say, I'd love to have a bolt plinker in that caliber!)

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Trk,

Just buy yourself a Yugo SKS....the bolt 7.62x39 boys here are going to have to do alot of homework to outshoot my Yugo.

Be cheaper.

Joe

Buckshot
03-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Buckshot -

Could you start a thread on doing the 7.62x39 in a Mauser? I'd really like to see how y'all did it. (That is to say, I'd love to have a bolt plinker in that caliber!)

.............Trk, see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=1326&highlight=7.62x39+Small+ring+Mauser

................Buckshot

Char-Gar
03-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Pystis... You have asked a good question and let me give you my feedback for whatever it is worth.

I agree with Felix that for alignment purposes, the bare mininum is sufficient. But how much more than minium can we have without it becoming a problem.

In my opinion, a bullet can engrave any depth as long as it does not wedge the bullet in the barrel and causes it to pull when a loaded round is extracted and the loaded round can be chambered without undue force. i.e. the limitations are mechanical and therefore vary from rifle to rifle.

I have a Browning Traditional Hunter in 30-30 and the falling block action has no leverage to seat a bullet larger than groove. I have to nose size any bullet that is even .001 larger than land diameter. I suppose I would push a round in with a wood dowel and maybe a little tap, but I don't want to do that.

Some of my bullets engrave .004 or so without any problems. More than than and some rifles shart to give hard chambering of a round.

The Fatter 30 is a different critter as the large nose is designed to fill up a worn throat. The engraving will be near the tip and should not be a problem. I chambered some dummy rounds containing a bullet with a nose like our Fatter 30 in both a SMLE 303 and two Krag and a Winchester 95 . In all cases, the engraving was slight. These rifles have long throats for heavy wieght bulletsand are all worn. The bullet had to reach way out there to contact the worn rifling.

The same bullet won't chamber in either Winchester or Marlin 30-30s. If would take more force on the lever than I want to use.

The Fatter 30 will choke in a rifle with an unworn throat, but most mil-surp rifles have worn throats (that is why they are mil-surp) and the Fatter 30 is designed for those rifles.