PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets and moose?

Ivantherussian03
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Has anyone used cast bullets to hunt moose?

Bret4207
03-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Check the archives in the Hunting forum here. I think some of out Swedish/Finnish members have taken moose, mooses, meeses, them big frickin' critter's with plain ol' lead. No reason a suitable projectile of adequite weight wouldn't work just fine. I used to trap with an old indian from up in northern Quebec who told me they would shoot a moose with a 30/30 type rifle in the lungs and jsut sit down for 30 minutes. Then they'd go trail up the dead moose.

Finn45
03-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Ivan, I have shot moose and I have killed moose with cast boolits. Caliber .45-70 in modified Marlin GG. Cow in the pic is from last fall, few calves from the previous seasons before that and all of them ended up dead by the cast. I look purdy young don't I? Why are you asking and what are you planning?

http://pyssymiehet.com/smthngls/cow_boy.jpg

Btw educate me please, one moose but two... mooses? Two meese? Err.. um... eh... difficult...

Bass Ackward
03-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Ahhh .... don't believe that crazy Finn. The moose was dragged down by the moose dog in the picture.

Everyone knows 45-70s bounce off moose. :grin:

kodiak1
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
He has a slingshot hid in his back pocket. No no it's trick photography!
Nice cow moose or mooses Finn45, how heavy a hunk a lead you stick in that old girl 350 400 GRN?

kodiak1
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
He has a slingshot hid in his back pocket. No no it's trick photography!
Nice cow moose or mooses Finn45, how heavy a hunk a lead you stick in that old girl 350 400 GRN?

Finn45
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
...And the kid was leading the way... HAR! Now there John, give me that English lesson...

Finn45
03-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Kodiak, it's MountainMolds .459-425gc from WW+1.5%tin and air cooled, bhn9...10, MV 1600+fps:

http://pyssymiehet.com/shooting/425_impact.jpg

versifier
03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
One moose, two moose, Moose & Squirrel....

Bucks Owin
03-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Check the archives in the Hunting forum here. I think some of out Swedish/Finnish members have taken moose, mooses, meeses, them big frickin' critter's with plain ol' lead. No reason a suitable projectile of adequite weight wouldn't work just fine. I used to trap with an old indian from up in northern Quebec who told me they would shoot a moose with a 30/30 type rifle in the lungs and jsut sit down for 30 minutes. Then they'd go trail up the dead moose.

I agree with your advice. I lived up in BC for 24 years and have seen many moose killed with everything from a .243 to .338 Win. Never used a cast bullet myself, but as you said, plunk 'em in the ribcage and they don't go far....

The 30/30 and .303 British were always very popular in "the bush"....

Dennis

BTW, my Dad killed 11 of 'em with a .270 and 150 gr Nosler. Most went about 50 to 100 yds after being shot through the lungs and layed down for good....(usually the "back half" of the Nosler would be caught by the hide on the "off side"...)

KCSO
03-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Read Olive Fredrichson from the old Outdoor Life, "I had to have a Moose". Or get her book she used a 30-30. I have never killed one, but my wifes great uncle used a 35 Remingto for years and you can push a cast as fast as jacketed in that gun. I would not hesitate to use my 220 in a Krag or a 303. But given the choice I would go for my 45-70 bolt gun with a 400 grain bullet at about 1700 fps. Way Plenty!

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, I currently reside in a remote Alaskan Village, on the Yukon. I have been hunting moose the last 3 or 4 seasons. I started reloading just about then then too. I dont cast my own bullets yet, but have been thinking about it. I shoot and reload a lot. So I am asking questions about cast bullets. I read in a Outdoor Life Magizine "your not really reloading unless you cast your own bullets".

last year, I took a respectable bull, which still has me jacked up! I took it with a 30.06 model 721 remington, with a weaver scope at 80 yards. I called the bull in over a half mile with a cow call. IT WAS AWESOME!!

I have a project gun that I am finished with for now. It is a mauser K98. I put it in a synthetic stock, and have been doing the final tweaking on for the last 3 months, as the weather allowed.

It is basically done. It took 75 rounds, but it is dialed in. The shot group is 5 cm now, and will hopefully srink as I become more familiar with the weapon.

I guess this is the long version. My two main rifle are 30.06 and a mauser 8mm. I am start casting bullets this summer!

I got the fever!!

snowtigger
03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I killed mine last fall with my 45/70 Marlin 1895 SS. The bullet was a Lyman 462560, That's 550 grains loafing along at about 1500 fps. WW+ 2% tin. Bulllet not recovered.

carpetman
03-26-2006, 12:45 PM
IvantheRussian---Would you give some detail about your experience with 30-06 on moose? Bullet weights,type and how many shots required etc. Thanks.

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Sure, I used a Hornaday 30 cal, 180 grain sp, interlocking bullets. 53 grains of H380 powder. I have seen 30/30 and take .243 take moose. Actually, they seem to be prepared, especially the lever action. It only took one shot. I think the key is shot placement. A good shot in the chest cavity will put them down.

carpetman
03-26-2006, 01:56 PM
IvantheRussian---Pretty dry cut---put one 30-06 jacketed bullet in the right place on a moose and you need a sharp knife and strong back for the work ahead. You used 180 grainers and I used 150 grainers----results the same. Not even a premium priced bullet I might add. Now my question? If it aint broke why fix it---why would you want to change? Nothing against cast bullets--but to use one would be nothing new or unique so why not stick with what's working so well? I tried to convey this message to Bullshop. One of their moose required 5 shots and another 3 and this was with cals larger than 30-06 to include a .50 Alaskan. Not good publicity.

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I think it is just one more way to be self-sufficent from the rest of world-basically.

On another note, I owned my 30.06 for a along time, but it was not really mine-that is until I restocked it, and then refinished that stock, and re-mounted the scope more securely. After going through those processes I have better understanding, and aprreciation of that rifle, and as I result I trust and have more conifidence in that rifle, and myself.

I reload for much the same reasons, that--and it is cheaper.

From my experiences, and I am by no means an expert. Shot placement is everything in successful moose hunting. but the most important thing is the skill and patience of the hunter is about 80% of success. Once a bull moose jacked-up-on-testostrone starts running it is like trying to stop a frieght train speeding out of control, especially if your shot was placed poorly. They are very dangerous animals. Shoot them once in a vital spot, and chances are they will run a little ways off and laydown or fall over, peacefully[smilie=1:

I sit and wait alot when I hunt, and call. I save gas, and enjoy myself more. most guys I know drive around looking for moose. The moose they find are typically moving, and tend to run more. I have heard of lots of guys shooting 10-12 times at moose, missing half the shots. To me that is sloppy hunting.

KTN
03-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Ivan and Carpetman,
you are both right about shot placement.It´s not so much about caliber or bullet,but misses and bad hits don´t count.Larger caliber forgives you more on shooting angle if you need to shoot thru bone,but shot placement is still what kills game.Hunter must choose his shot,and not shoot if in doubt about shot placement.

Kaj

waksupi
03-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Ivan and Carpetman,
you are both right about shot placement.It´s not so much about caliber or bullet,but misses and bad hits don´t count.Larger caliber forgives you more on shooting angle if you need to shoot thru bone,but shot placement is still what kills game.Hunter must choose his shot,and not shoot if in doubt about shot placement.

Kaj

Yup, you got to shoot them in the foot quite a few times to kill them. Got to wait for a nasty infection to set in.

trk
03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I would think that it might not be too tough with a hunting cat to distract the moose for the right broadside shot.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/390057.jpg

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2006, 08:34 PM
That is funny. It gives a whole new reason to be cat owner!:)

carpetman
03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
IvantheRussian---I do agree with you that reloading is cheaper if you stay with it long enough and shoot enough. But considering the costs of hunting,that darned few cents difference in the few bullets you shoot while hunting doesnt justify skimping to save a few pennies. Sure, dove hunters, for example shooting a whole lot of rounds at game might save enough to justify it. Doubt you shoot several hundred moose a year.

drinks
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Finn;
An old question, if it is mouse and mice, why not house and hice?
If it is goose and geese, why not moose and meece?.
The answer is, English has very few rules that are not very flexable, as English is a frankenstein construct, not a logical language.
Just play it by ear and ignore snickers from the sidelines, imagine the poster trying to speak Finnish!

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Carpetman, I know what your saying. And it did get me to thinking,and maybe to change my mind. I decieded to figure out my costs per 8mm cartridge, and my .06. I buy my bullets: Remingtons a box of 500, at about 11 cents a bullet landed on the ground here. Now I need to measure the weight of 5o grains of H380 and calculate the cost per cartridge. Then primers of course.

I was guessing $200 bucks to get set up and cast bullets. So I could buy a lot remington bullets for the costs involved in getting set to mold/cast my own bullets.

Then I thought of time involvement. I have enough hobbies already. So I am going to think about more.

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Ray,

As you mentioned if you shoot ALOT is a reason for reloading. But you missed some other important reading. Alot of guys reload because they can't find the accuracy they want out of a factory load. One can really tune his rifle with handloads. On the other hand sometimes it's hard to beat a factory load for both accuracy and velocity. Another reason is that the handloader can load a specific type of bullet he can't get in a factory load. Use to be premium bullets, but today the factories are catching up in that area too. Probably the biggest reason is satisfaction.

Joe

floodgate
03-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Finn:

I believe it's the same with moose(s) as with deer; one or ten is still "deer", not "deers". That's life in English! I hope Finnish is more logical.

floodgate

Finn45
03-27-2006, 05:13 AM
Alright, thanks versifier, drinks and floodgate. I was just asking because I've seen all those variations. Just need to know, you know.

Suomenkieli on muuten ihan älyttömän helppoa; jopa minä osaan!

Frank46
03-27-2006, 05:51 AM
I don't have any expeience hunting bullwinkles, but a buddy who shoots BP silly wet had a sharps made up in 50-110 and he just scaled up the lyman 457125 and last year shot two buffalo's. One shot kills. If I remember correctly the bullet weighed close to 700grs. Never did find the bullet in either critter. Frank

Pilgrim
03-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Shuz has whacked two of the critters so far with his .35 Whelan and the 358009. Velocity is around 2100 I believe, and I think ACWW bullets. The last critter took a whole bunch of shots as none of them were placed exactly right and the 358009 just passed on thru as near as we could tell. Killed him though, and he didn't go any too far, so I guess you could say it worked OK. His first critter was whacked at long range (over 300 yds. IIRC) and it took a couple of shots to complete the job. The first one anchored the critter well enough so he didn't wander off, so that one should be considered a success as well.

I shot mine (only moose I've collected so far in 3 trips) with a .358 Win. and the RCBS 200-FN, velocity was 2430 fps (instrument), ACWW w/ 1.5 % tin, BHN ~ 14. The critter hit the ground with the first shot, bullet not recovered. After a couple of minutes he managed to get back up and started running and the second shot put him down for good. The first shot penetrated some 4 or 5 feet of moose (entry in the neck shoulder junction @ ~ 20 to 30 degree downward angle) and took out a couple of ribs upon departure leaving a 3 or 4 inch hole in his side. Lots of blood loss. How he got back up was a mystery to both the guide and myself. Second bullet passed through the backbone w/o breaking the spine (looked like the hole was punched thru the bone) and wound up under the skin on the off shoulder after 3 or 4 feet of penetration. Nice textbook mushroom. Bullet weight as loaded ~215 gr, bullet weight recovered was ~ 170 gr. Dead moose, with very little bloodshot meat. Complete success no matter how ou look at it. The fact the critter was dumped on the spot amazed the guide I guess as his comments were most interesting. "He's down!...etc."

Shooting a critter with a CB instead of a FLGC out of the .270 Win., .338 Win., .35 Rem, .358 Win., .375 Win, or .45-70 Gov't was simply a choice. I thought it would work well, and it did. Shooting a critter with a bullet made by myself, loaded by myself, and having it perform as intended was very satisfying. Would I do it again? Sure...but whether I'd use the .35 Rem, .358 Win, .375 Win or .45-70 would be the choice, not the bullet. The bullet would be another CB, GC'd made of WW + 1.5% tin, air cooled.

Being independent is part of the fun. I suspect if we had to, we could make our primers out of match heads inserted into reformed primer cups, and home made BP for the propellent, but I'm not interested in that degree of independence as of yet. FWIW Pilgrim

Bullshop
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Pilgrim
WHAT!!!! YOU DIDNT USE AN OH! 6? And it took more than one shot? OH MY LORD! The Carpet man is going to be so upset with you. Maybe he can enlighten you and set you straight. He has been trying to help me too for I also have sinned against him. There is hope that with his guidance we too can become as perfect as he.
BIC/BS

gregg
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I have close to $800 in molds from Just the group buys on this board.
That not to count the molds I have bought thru last 30 years. Be cheaper
just to by J bullets and have it over with. We do it for the fun. fun,FUN.
If its not fun don't do it.
I always say shooting like sex. If it hurts and its not fun your doing something
wrong!!!!!!!!!!

MGySgt
03-27-2006, 08:30 PM
There is just something about taking what someone else is throwing away (WW) and turning it into some that that you make (cast bullet) and then taking game cleanly that adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

I also like the looks on the other 'Hunters' faces in camp when I bring that Sharps out of the sleeve.

Just my humble opinion!

Drew

Still can't spell worth a darn!

Bucks Owin
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
FWIW, I would get set up for casting boolits just for the fun and cheap (er) ammo. Let's you do a LOT more shooting in the off season...

For actual hunting, I think I'd go with a premium jacketed bullet like the Nosler, Grand Slam, Interlock etc.....One box of bullets will last a lot of hunting seasons once you get the load "zeroed in"....

I'm speaking of your 8mm and /06 specifically BTW. If you were shooting something like a .45/70, I'd go with a cast bullet....

My two centavos,

Dennis

deadpan
03-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Not that I have as much experience as some of you....but my bullet of choice for big game is the 180 grain soft point Federal (works every time and only had to shoot at one of my caribou twice). AND of course, my gun of choice is my Ruger Mark II 30.06.........LOVE THAT GUN!!! Never have needed anything larger....even for moose, bison etc.