PDA

View Full Version : Low Numbered Winchester 1886 .45/70

Bigjohn
07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
I am just seeking a few more thoughts from the members here on reloading some ammunition to be fired through the rifle.

First a few bits of information; I do not own the rifle nor have I seen it at this stage. My local dealer gave my name and phone number to a customer of his as someone who could help, (I will have to thank him for this, maybe not).

From first contact with the owner, it is a low numbered rifle #4XX; supposedly in good or better condition.

The owner would like to shoot it with some BP loads but does not know about BP Cartridge reloading. It is my intention to fully assess the condition of the rifle before I load for it or let him fire it.

For a load, I was planning to cast some 20/1 Lyman "Gould" 330grs or simular Boolits and boot them out the barrel with as much BP as I can fit into the case behind them.

I would intend to give the owner a full briefing on loading, caring and cleaning of the rifle as I do this. Who knows, I may sign him up here.

I spoke to the dealer today and he had an un-numbered 1886 in stock; .40/82 WCF but the bore is smooth like a shotgun.

So, anyone knowing more about these rifle than me?

Bigjohn
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I've spoken with the current owner of this rifle again and he informs me that the barrel is almost like new inside.

From what he can tell me of the history is that the rifle was bought from Winchester by one of the US State Prisons. It was allegedly given to a retiring Guard. How it made it's way to Australia is another story.

Can anyone tell me the Overall cartridge length for these rifles? I've settled on the LYMAN 457124 for the boolit

runfiverun
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
john i'd jump up into the black powder section for this one.
but you are gonna have to use the crimp groove anyways so i'd start there.
10 grs of unique should about match b/p velocities.
i would worry about being able to match your boolits diameter to chamber/bbl diameter then go from there.