PDA

View Full Version : .40 # Wheel Weights

peter nap
07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I checked with all the salvage places today and the best price I can come up for wheel Weights, is 40 cents a pound. That's for guaranteed lead ones.

I have one place that saves them for me for free and another that sells them to me for .20, but I get what I get (Lead, Zinc and Iron).

Is .40 too high? I was thinking of getting a couple hundred pounds tomorrow.

DLCTEX
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
What percent of the 20 cent ones is zinc? If it was 25% zinc the 20 cent ones are cheaper, but you have the hassel of sorting. How accurate is the sorting of the zinc from the 40 cent ones? You may have to do some sorting anyway.

Springfield
07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Depends on how many you need. If you are getting 50 lbs a month of the .20 weights, but are shooting up 60 lbs, then they don't have enough. Or if you are really low on stocks, and want to stockpile a few, the .40 doesn't sound too bad. I have plenty stockpiled, but when I see some guy on Craigslist has ingots for sale for .50/lb, I go buy them anyway.

peter nap
07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
The .20 ones are about 50%. I wasn't happy but at least he was honest about it and tell me they were all lead. They are also limited. He gets a bucket every 6 months or so.

I have no idea how the .40 fellow is sorting. He did say he would exchange or buy back any not lead...just before he went into a long story in his NJ accent, about how he knew his business. I've bought steel for projects from him before and he's honest enough...although not very likable.

peter nap
07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Depends on how many you need. If you are getting 50 lbs a month of the .20 weights, but are shooting up 60 lbs, then they don't have enough. Or if you are really low on stocks, and want to stockpile a few, the .40 doesn't sound too bad. I have plenty stockpiled, but when I see some guy on Craigslist has ingots for sale for .50/lb, I go buy them anyway.

My stockpile is low. I just started casting again after years of buying bullets. I have a couple hundred pounds of pure lead and a couple hundred pounds of WW.

That's it right now and I do shoot a lot. I was shooting wheelguns only, but recently started shooting my 1911 on a regular basis and it is my everyday carry gun now. It is a lead hog.

Treetop
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
peter, my local lead recycler is selling wheel weights (the standard clip type and the stick on types mixed together) for forty cents per pound. I haven't paid that for wheel weights yet, but I may soon...

runfiverun
07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
.40 here too, but they want me to buy them a ton at a time.
it is cheaper to buy them at 20 a bucket unless you get 50% junk in there then it's a wash.
but even at .40 a lb it's still cheaper than buying .plus you don't waste a whole day getting them.

peter nap
07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
it is cheaper to buy them at 20 a bucket unless you get 50% junk in there then it's a wash.
but even at .40 a lb it's still cheaper than buying .plus you don't waste a whole day getting them.

Thanks fellows!
Love this site.:lovebooli

My kids accuse me of living in the past. I remember well ....25 Gas and .15 Cigarettes. I guess this is the same:violin:

Down South
07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
.40 a lb is your decision. If I was low on WW then I would jump on it. I've got a good stock pile and get most of mine free or trade something. Last haul was three 5-gallon buckets full for three new pair of work gloves that I pick up cheap. I’ve got a couple guys that save them for me and give them to me but only get about 100 lbs every few months from them.
I have given $20 a bucket full before and would do it again but that includes valve stems, paper off the tires and other trash. .40 for clean, no trash, no zinc doesn’t sound bad.

fredj338
07-21-2009, 12:21 AM

IMO, 40c/# of 98% useable ww is not a bad price. Lately the buckets I get for about 20c/# are coming out 25% waste before smelting. Here in Kommiefornia, we are banning lead ww after DEc. so the precentage of useable ww will plummet then go to zero. I would buy all I could buy @ 40c/#. If I lived in ID, I would split that ton in a heart beat.

fallout4x4
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
sell the zinc back to a recycler after you sort it out. I know its somewhat of a hassle but you do get some of your money back that way.

peter nap
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
sell the zinc back to a recycler after you sort it out. I know its somewhat of a hassle but you do get some of your money back that way.

I'm a little ahead of you on that.

I went to the yard today and he had ywo 55 gallon barrels.

One was WW only. The other was lead sheathing, pipe and wheel weights, both clip on and stick on. I grabbed a handful of ww's and shaved them ...They were lead.

The dickering began.

I bought the 55 gallon barrel with the assorted lead for 140.00 for the lot.

Then I ran into a fellow who makes fishing sinkers. He will pay .45 for clean zinc wheel weights. Things are looking up

putteral
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Here in my area of Florida I'm happy to find wheel weights at .40 per pound, seems like all the tire shops around will not sell them.

Fugowii
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I get very little free. I pay $30 for a full five gallon bucket. It works out to about
.25/Lb of mixed. Not too much steel or zinc in it, probably less than five pounds.

RayinNH
07-21-2009, 08:56 PM
While you hate to pay .40 a pound for the lead, it's still a pretty good deal. When you do the math (7000 grains divided by boolit weight) you'll find the primer is costing you more than the boolit, at least for non gas check designs...Ray

leadman
07-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Friday I paid $.45 a pound for what little I could get. I wanted to buy a ton but ended up with 136 pounds of WW from 1 place and 41 pounds of mixed lead from another.

shotman
07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
check with plumbers in you area. They save and scrap everything. Many areas used lead for water lines that is about as hard as WW the lead caulk is pure

7.62Man
07-22-2009, 08:17 AM
$0.50 a pound is what I have been pay at the scrap yard for the last two years.

softpoint
07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
scrap yard here has plenty, they charged me .30 apound a couple months ago, I got 1400 lb from them. Afew stick on mixed in, a very few zinc, I think they had tried to keep most of the zinc out. Probably not over 5lbs or so of zinc in the 1400#

odinohi
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
There is a tire shop in my area that was taking them to a scrap yard (supposedly) and getting .33 a lb. I called a different scrap yard and asked what wheel weights were going for. She told me .03 a lb. I asked how many she had, she said "Oh, you want to buy them? Thats a different price and I'd have to get back with you when I find out what it is." I went back to the tire shop and offered to match the 33 cents and buy his guys a couple dozen dounuts. Gonna pick them up Saturday. He said he had about 400 lbs. I'll repost after I go thru them. Tom

Ole
07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
It's a great deal if you need the lead.

peter nap
07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
It takes forever melting the wheelweights at low temperature.

I started at 4:30 this morning and have only done a little over 200 pounds of WW.

The stacks looking better though[smilie=1:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/lead.jpg

fredj338
07-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Worth the effort, think of it as 7000 bullets!

RayinNH
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Peter, you need a new scale. Sure looks like more than 200# to me...Ray