PDA

View Full Version : front sight heighth for Sharps?

45shootr
07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I've ordered a front sight .625 from bottom of dovetail to center to replace the cheap Pedersoli my long range Uberti came with. The existing sight is around .375. I got this from Buffalo arms, but the guy didn't seem real sure what size I should use. I'm using a mid range Soule. Is this going to be too high? I Don't know the formula for figuring sight heighth. Maybe I should have gone with the .500?

Gunlaker
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I've ordered a front sight .625 from bottom of dovetail to center to replace the cheap Pedersoli my long range Uberti came with. The existing sight is around .375. I got this from Buffalo arms, but the guy didn't seem real sure what size I should use. I'm using a mid range Soule. Is this going to be too high? I Don't know the formula for figuring sight heighth. Maybe I should have gone with the .500?

I'll bet that'll be almost bang on. For a while I had a .700 high blade on the front of my Pedersoli Basic Hunter (28" barrel). It was just the right height for my mid range soule sight.

Chris.

Don McDowell
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Depending on how far you're planning to shoot , you may run out of sight before you can get on target at the further distances. The higher the front sight the more "minutes" it'll take on the rear to get zeroed in at any given distance.
Also the higher you have to run the rear sight the less stable of a cheek weld and consistant position of the eye in relationship to the rear sight you'll have.

Fadi
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
If you don't mind a few observations from the new guy that you've probably already considered...

I don't know the length of your sight radius, but 36 inches is both mathematically convenient and not unrealistic. That .25" change in front sight height works out to right about 25 MOA, but would only require a parallel .25" bump up on the rear sight to match. I think that Don's second point about how it would effect shootability is a biggie (at least for me).

"I Don't know the formula for figuring sight heighth."

What are you shooting right now (MV, bullet weight, sight radius, range)? We could ballpark your angle of departure at a given range and figure about how high that rear sight should be.

Fadi
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Ok, I just saw this was from 8 months ago... I bet you have it worked out.

Hey, I'm a new guy.

Dave B
08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I put the .5 on my heavy target, and it just sights in at 100 yds. with the rear 1 turn off bottom of the Soule mid range.

Don McDowell
08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
It will take approximately 20 minutes of elevation to make every 100 yds beyond that. So if you can get a rough idea on how far you can shoot by doing the math.

montana_charlie
08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I put the .5 on my heavy target, and it just sights in at 100 yds. with the rear 1 turn off bottom of the Soule mid range.
Dave,
When you raise the aperture that far, do you know how to figure out how many 'points' are in that setting? Do you know how to increase it by 'one point'...which is (about) 1 MOA?

CM

Dave B
08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Charlie, I haven't worked that out yet. I've only had it out a couple of times since I got the Soule rear sight. The manual goes into that, but who reads that stuff? Specially an Itialian translation. Any ideas you have are more than welcome.

montana_charlie
08-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I can get you started with just words, and provide a picture if words don't get it done.

You will see there is a scale of lines with numbers on the staff with Zero at the bottom.
On the slider (that carries the aperture up and down) are five (or six) lines with the bottom being the '0' line.

Set the slider down to the point where both of the ZERO marks are lined up.
That is a sight setting of '0 points'.

Raise the slider until the '1' line on the slider lines up with the next higher line on the staff.
Because it IS the '1' line that you aligned, the setting is called '1 point'.
You have increased elevation enough to raise point of impact 1 inch at a hundred yards.

If you crank the slider up till (say) the '4' line gets matched to a staff line, guess what that setting is. Yep, it's '4 points', and your 100 yard impact is now 4 inches higher than it was at '0 points'.

If your slider has six lines on it, the top line is the '5' line. Crank the aperture up to get that one matched to a staff line.
You have already guessed that will give you a reading of '5 points', but look at the '0' line on the slider.
It has moved up the staff one full line.
So, when moving the slider's '0' line up the staff by full increments, you can keep adding 'five' to your setting without having to count each individual point along the way up.

Set the slider '0' to the second line above ZERO on the staff. That's '10 points'. Move the slider up another full increment and you have '15 points'.

Say you already know from previous shooting that '33 points' is the right setting for dead-on at 300 yards.

Crank the slider up so it's '0' matches up with the sixth line above ZERO on the staff.
6 times 5 is 30, so you are at '30 points'.
Now take the slider higher, to align it's '3' mark with the closest staff line above it.

You had 30, and you added 3, so now you have '33 points'.

You have returned to a known setting that you established in the past...and you have done it precisely, not by roughly counting turns of a knob.

To review...
Your 100-yard impact point (whatever it looked like with a '0 point' sight setting) has been raised 33 inches since we started, and that equates to a 66-inch change at 200 yards...and so on.

Have you got the picture?

You said your rifle is on at 100 yards when your aperture is "one full turn" up from the bottom.
That is probably about '3 points' for your 100-yard zero.

I can't be precise without knowing more about your gun, bullet weight, and velocity...but if you set your sight to '15 points' you could be 'on the paper' at 200.

The beauty of the system is, I can give you a particular sight setting and you can set your sight exactly to it.

Much better than if I said, "Uhh, raise that sight about...er...four and half to five and a quarter turns, and see what that gets you."

CM

Dave B
08-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Charlie, even though all that makes my head hurt, I'm going to print it and try it out on my next range trip. I'll let you know how it works out.

montana_charlie
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Dave B,
Everything I said can be 'tried out' sitting in your easy chair.

It is about how to set a vernier sight...not how to make your rifle hit anything.
CM