PDA

View Full Version : The shiny object Marlin 45/70 has come home!

Four Fingers of Death
07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
I bought a Marlin 1895 XLR recently with the intention of turning it into a full mag cowboy gun for Pat Garrett matches as there were no 1895 Cowboys in the country and none expected at the time. As it turned out, a small shipment was sent here instead of it's intended customer in Austria. I picked one up and my mate in a rush of blood bought the XLR. I was thinking of keeping it, but it was sold before I knew it :(.

He is short of cash, hasn't fired it so I did the right thing and gave him a full refund tonight. :D

They have gone up from the $AU1180 that I paid for it to $AU1585, so I just saved $400! I can spend that on another gun can't I? :) I think there is something wrong with my logic, but I can't quiet put my finger on it. :(

exile
07-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Sure you can! As the sign on a gunshop in my hometown reads,

"Your wife called and said to buy whatever you want."

What are you interested in buying next? Nice to know at least someone is having fun. (I was able to get out and go shooting the last two nights so I guess I cannot complain too much.)

exile

Frank46
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey Mick, i like your logic. make sense to me. Missed out on a #1MKIII lithgow at the local gun show. Dealer would not remove the tie wrap so's I could check out the barrel. $225 otd. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Thats great exile, I thought that I had it bass akwards there for a minute. Maybe a deposit on a pair of small clones in 38Special for the little lady. I have seen a set, tiny bit smaller than the Colt SA size and they had bird's head grips. Failing that a pair of 38 Ruger Vaqs would be nice.

Frank, I wouldn't be forking out money for a smelly unless i could see the barrel, some of them are like sewer pipes, but have ok outsides. lazy soldier doesn't clean it properly, the guy in the store covers it in grease and you end up with a smick looking rifle with a horrible bore. I live 35 miles from the Lithgow factory and used to shoot on their range, pretty cool old place with a great museum.

Frank46
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Mick, was a shame as the serial numbers on the bolt and receiver were matching. have had this happen to me a few times that the dealer would not remove the wire tie. I even carry some in my gun show bag for that reason. Most dealers will remove the tie. Last winchester 94 I bought looked kinda crummy on the outside but had a spotless bore. Frank