PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fans?

odinohi
07-20-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm trying to figure out what type of exhaust fan to use in my casting area. This is a relatively small building, 10'x14'. I would like something to mount above my Mag 20 flush with the ceiling and run ductwork out the little attic area out the back of the building. I did a Google search and was just overwhelmed. What are you guys using? I really dont want to break the bank, but want something that will move any smoke or fumes out immeadiatly. Also, something that is fairly quiet. Any info is welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Tom

JeffinNZ
07-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I have considered putting my 4 1/2 year old daughter just outside of the garage so her none stop talking would Venturi the fumes right out!!! :-)

cajun shooter
07-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Tom, Go to your local Lowe's and buy yourself a attic gable fan. They are designed to exhaust the heat from attics and come with a thermostat that is adjustable. The selling price is only around $45 You then only have to cut a hole in the side of your shop. I did mine with a Roto-Zip but you could use a jig saw. It does not have to be perfect as the fan covers it from the inside and you buy the louver vent for the outside which is mounted with wood screws. The fan then will serve two purposes, one to vent and the other is taking out the heat when you are not casting also. When Casting I have a shop fan behind me and the attic fan above my bench and no fumes to breathe. So for $45 and some labor you can be set up . My motor on mine just went out after 5 years but I replaced it for $25. In the summer months in Louisiana which is 6 months long mine runs almost 24-7

BD
07-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I use a kitchen range hood which exhausts through the wall. If you build some sides creating a booth this is very effective as the heat from the pot keeps the convective currents moving up under the hood. They also generally have a light which is helpful. don't forget to allow a source of make up air.
BD

SharpsShooter
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I use a kitchen range hood which exhausts through the wall. If you build some sides creating a booth this is very effective as the heat from the pot keeps the convective currents moving up under the hood. They also generally have a light which is helpful. don't forget to allow a source of make up air.
BD

I'm in the process of installing a range hood also using 4" dryer pipe and outside flapper closure. It will be just the thing with lights and cabinet space above it also.

SS

Ken 45LC
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I agree with the range hood for the exhaust fan. However I was too cheap to spend the $75 on the one that is already set up for the duct type. I bought the cheap economy model (the one that just circulates air thru a filter) and blocked the front exhaust with foam and duct tape. I then took my 4 inch hole saw and cut a hole in the tin work above the fan and inserted a collar with sheet metal screws and finished it with a bead of silicone around it. It has two speed settings and the light. I've only ever used the low setting, wich moves more than enough air to remove the fumes from a pot that is just starting to warm up. I use a Mag 20 pot and a master caster, so i'm sure it should work with about any setup.

I'll also add, when i was looking for the economy model fan i found one that looked as if it was damaged. i inspected it and found slight damage to the tin work. so i then asked the dept manager how much of a discount he would give me, and i bought it for $15. So i left that day with the fan, a 4 inch elbow and collar for under $25.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Patrick L
07-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's what I did. I made an enclosed cabinet and vented it out the window with an old range hood. The cabinet keeps everything neat and clean, and the plexiglass "garage door" cover helps funnel air in for a strong draft.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff038.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff005.jpg

Dan Cash
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Here's what I did. I made an enclosed cabinet and vented it out the window with an old range hood. The cabinet keeps everything neat and clean, and the plexiglass "garage door" cover helps funnel air in for a strong draft.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff038.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff005.jpg

Do you cast bullets or just look at your creation? Way too clean.:-D

Patrick L
07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Do you cast bullets or just look at your creation? Way too clean.

Oh, I cast lots of boolits. I just like a clean workspace.:mrgreen:

mazo kid
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Another vote for the range hood exhaust fan. I'm even chea......uuhhh, more frugal as I bought mine at a garage sale for $0.50! It's been workin' for over 10 years now and if/when it dies, I'll either replace the fan motor or get another hood.

Shiloh
07-20-2009, 04:51 PM
BD

I got one of these second hand from an appliance store. Mine was to vent fumes from my jewelry lost-wax-casting burn-out oven.

Mine cost $10 back in the mid 90's

Shiloh

jim4065
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I bought a half-dozen of these fans from NEWENGLANDCHARTERS. I'll be happy to send you two of 'em if you send the $10 for priority mail.

Haven't built my cabinet yet...... :oops:

mold maker
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Just be sure not to use flaming flux like wax, or the plastic blades on the fan will melt.
Don't ask me.
I replaced that unit with one that had a metal blade and now use kitty liter and only clean alloy.

ANeat
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Here is my exaust setup, I just have an inline booster fan mounted near the wall with a switch, a rain cap and some wire mesh to keep the bugs/birds out on the outside.

I used the reducer as a mini "hood"; it gets 99% of the smoke

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/rcbs.jpg

Kind of like this one

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/images/Suncourt-DFN4.L.gif