PDA

View Full Version : New 1903A4 Springfield Sniper Rifles

StarMetal
07-19-2009, 11:48 PM
These are from Aim Surplus www.aimsurplus.com

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/1903a4.jpg

Item#1903A4
US model M1903A4 Springfield bolt action 30.06 Rifles. These Rifles are built using original Remington-made World War II M1903A3 actions and turned-down bolts. These fine Rifles feature newly manufactured 4-groove barrels identical to the originals. Each receiver is carefully drilled and tapped using replicas of the original "Redfield" rings and mounts and an exact copy of the M73B1 scope, used on the 1st model M1903A4's. Each barreled action has the original military parkerized finish with beautiful walnut stock furniture, again, identical to the originals.
Each includes a replica of the M1907 U.S. issued leather sling and OD Green canvas carrying case. Not just exceptional in looks and finish, each gun is made to hold to the accuracy standards of the U.S. Military during World War II. These Rifles are currently in very high demand and we have a limited supply, so order while you can! $999.95 1 penny shipping.

Joe

45nut
07-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Wow,, that looks decent.

Four Fingers of Death
07-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Way past decent if you ask me!

Jim
07-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Did y'all notice the barrel appears to be ported?

oldhickory
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Did y'all notice the barrel appears to be ported?

Those aren't ports, Jim. Those are the milled slots for the front sight. Even though the 03A4 didn't use a front sight, all the barrels were milled for them.

XBT
07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
In 1963 I had just returned from a hitch in the navy when my dad received a letter from DCM authorizing him to pick up a 1903 from the local army depot. We drove out to the Tooele Army Depot and when my dad walked out of the warehouse he was carrying a 1903 A4 exactly like the one in the above picture. It had the bent bolt and Redfield base attached, only missing the scope. It was absolutely pristine; looking as if it had been in careful storage it’s entire life.

As he had earlier received another 1903 from the DCM, he gave the A4 to me. I had been hunting deer with a Krag and figured this was my chance to upgrade my hunting rifle. I re-barreled the A4 to 25-06, stocked it with a decent piece of walnut and added a Timney trigger and Redfield scope. I was awfully proud of that gun at the time, it was a good deer gun and as Remington had not yet produced the commercial version, the only 25-06 in the area.

I still have the gun, seldom used now, sitting in a safe among several other guns of the same class.

My dad paid $13.50 for the gun and yes, I do have some regrets about what I did to it. My only excuse is everyone was doing the same thing at the time and none of us understood how rare and valuable the old military guns would someday become.

StarMetal
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
In 1963 I had just returned from a hitch in the navy when my dad received a letter from DCM authorizing him to pick up a 1903 from the local army depot. We drove out to the Tooele Army Depot and when my dad walked out of the warehouse he was carrying a 1903 A4 exactly like the one in the above picture. It had the bent bolt and Redfield base attached, only missing the scope. It was absolutely pristine; looking as if it had been in careful storage it’s entire life.

As he had earlier received another 1903 from the DCM, he gave the A4 to me. I had been hunting deer with a Krag and figured this was my chance to upgrade my hunting rifle. I re-barreled the A4 to 25-06, stocked it with a decent piece of walnut and added a Timney trigger and Redfield scope. I was awfully proud of that gun at the time, it was a good deer gun and as Remington had not yet produced the commercial version, the only 25-06 in the area.

I still have the gun, seldom used now, sitting in a safe among several other guns of the same class.

My dad paid $13.50 for the gun and yes, I do have some regrets about what I did to it. My only excuse is everyone was doing the same thing at the time and none of us understood how rare and valuable the old military guns would someday become.

If you still have the original barrel and stock...convert it back.

Joe

sundog
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Joe, my sentiments prexactly!

Bret4207
07-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice, way outta my league price wise, but I can drool can't I?

dominicfortune00
07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
One way to tell these repro's from the real ones is that the stamping on the receiver ring on the 03A4 is sideways to the side of the scope mount, while the regular 03A3 stamping would run parallel to the ring and under the scope mount.

elk hunter
07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Starmetal,

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a set of Redfield Jr. 3/4" rings to complete my original 03-A4. I contacted Aim Surplus regarding the scope rings on these rifles, they refered me to Gibbs Rifles who is making the guns up. I asked Gibbs if the scope rings they are using were available separately as I need a set, they advised me they would be available in a few months. So again, thanks for the heads up, now I can complete my rifle.

XBT,

I too have made sporters out of those cheap, ugly, old military rifles. Who would have guessed they would be worth what they are today. Not to make you feel bad, a few months ago CMP auctioned off an 03-A4, the last time I looked the bid was $3750.00, they have gone up just a bit from when your dad bought yours.

StarMetal
07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice, way outta my league price wise, but I can drool can't I?

Bret, ditto...maybe we'll get lucky with the lotto huh? You play?

Joe

StarMetal
07-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Starmetal,

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a set of Redfield Jr. 3/4" rings to complete my original 03-A4. I contacted Aim Surplus regarding the scope rings on these rifles, they refered me to Gibbs Rifles who is making the guns up. I asked Gibbs if the scope rings they are using were available separately as I need a set, they advised me they would be available in a few months. So again, thanks for the heads up, now I can complete my rifle.

XBT,

I too have made sporters out of those cheap, ugly, old military rifles. Who would have guessed they would be worth what they are today. Not to make you feel bad, a few months ago CMP auctioned off an 03-A4, the last time I looked the bid was $3750.00, they have gone up just a bit from when your dad bought yours.

Well I'm sure glad that posting that helped someone, as I posted it for enjoy to see what they looked like new. You're very welcome.

Joe

ddeaton
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Anyone got a link? I cant find the rifle on their site

dabsond
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
There's a write up about them in the newest copy of Surplus Rifle I just picked up. They look pretty nice.

Ken O
07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I checked out the link, and couldn't find it. Must be sold out.

chuebner
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Very nice. Little rich for my blood though.

I just checked the link, clicked on New Rifles and scrolled down about a third of the page and there it is.

My 03A4 suits me fine for now.

charlie

Ivantherussian03
08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
For about 30 seconds, I thought I could have one. :sad: :killingpc

Boz330
08-17-2009, 01:06 PM
For about 30 seconds, I thought I could have one. :sad: :killingpc

What happened reality set in? Or did SWMBO explain, you really didn't need another gun?

Bob

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Gibbs rifle is Navy arms is Old Western Scrounger.:coffee:[smilie=1: