PDA

View Full Version : Dan wesson .44

blaser.306
07-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Good evening gent's I have a question regarding tightening the barrel lock nut on my D/W .44 mag pistol . I have absolutely no problem with the 6" tube but when the 10" is installed , with the flash gap properly adjusted with the supplied feeler guage it appears that , I suppose due to the boolit 240 gr.g/c engaging the rifleing it is causing the barrel to turn itself in tighter . To the point that the cylinder binds on the breech end of the barrel . Not to mention that I have to use gunsmith punch and hammer to "crack" the nut loose . Any tips or advice from another Dan wesson shooter/owner ? thanks Barclay!

BD
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I do own a 744, however I have not experienced this problem with either of my barrels. My long barrel is only 6", and the boolits I'm using are 265 grain WFNs and the Lee 310 grain RNFP.
BD

44man
07-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Good evening gent's I have a question regarding tightening the barrel lock nut on my D/W .44 mag pistol . I have absolutely no problem with the 6" tube but when the 10" is installed , with the flash gap properly adjusted with the supplied feeler guage it appears that , I suppose due to the boolit 240 gr.g/c engaging the rifleing it is causing the barrel to turn itself in tighter . To the point that the cylinder binds on the breech end of the barrel . Not to mention that I have to use gunsmith punch and hammer to "crack" the nut loose . Any tips or advice from another Dan wesson shooter/owner ? thanks Barclay!
You are not getting the nut tight enough at the start or the threads are not long enough at the front to tension the barrel.
Do not use a punch on the nut.
Open the cylinder and put a rubber tube in the forcing cone, put a funnel on the other end and pour boiling water through the barrel. The nut will spin right off.
If you use hot tap water to tighten the barrel, boiling water will still loosen it.
If the threads are short and the nut bottoms before the shroud is tight, make some shim stock washers to go under the nut.
But first make sure the nut will run all the way onto the threads before putting the shroud on.
Chances are you are getting the barrel hot when shooting, that expands it and makes it loose. The longer barrel grows more then the short one.

blaser.306
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks .44 man ! that makes a fair bit of sence as much as I hate to admit it . The barrel in question came to me for exactly this reason , after shooting for a day at the silouette range the barrel cooled off and became so tight that the preveiuos owner decided to remove the barrel/nut with an easy out . And that in turn got me a !0" barrel and shroud for $30.00 , albeit when the gunsmith was done turning the damaged rifleing out I think trere is still 9.5" of good barell left . So the trick is to get the barrel hot shooting/hot water then set the gap and torque the nut . Thanks I'll give it a try Barclay!