PDA

View Full Version : If you snooze, you lose!!

sleeper1428
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I sure proved that old adage - 'If you snooze, you lose'. Got up late on Saturday morning and didn't get around to reading the paper until almost 10AM at which time I discovered a notice of a yard sale that included the following, ... reloading tools, lead (lrg amount).... Well, as you might imagine I was out the door in a flash and on the road to this yard sale. When I got there I found that the fellow had about 8 or 9 flat pie shaped ingots (appears that aluminum pie tins might have been used as moulds) plus a 5 gal bucket about 3/4 full of WW, unmarked ingots, strips of solder, etc. Apparently this fellow's father, who had passed away recently, had made fishing sinkers using WW and he'd saved WWs for many years, smelting them and making these pie shaped ingots for storage. When I inquired as to price, he replied that it was $0.30 a pound - to which I answered that I'd take all he had!! He weighed the ingots and it came to just over 100 lbs - $30.00 worth. He even had his sons load up my truck and then he said that he was going to toss in the 5 gal bucket of assorted lead for nothing, if I wanted it. Of course I took it and thanked him for his courtesy. It was then that he said that if I'd have been there an hour earlier I could have had a lot more, probably about an additional 600+ lbs!! Unfortunately, another guy, looking for lead for making sinkers, had beat me to it. So as I said before, 'if you snooze, you lose'!!

Down South
07-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Sounds like me, a day late and a dollar short.

mtgrs737
07-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Sounds like me, a day late and a dollar short.

Don't even have to be a dollar short in this case. Late is late!

Reminds me of the 55gal. barrel of wheel weights I missed by a few days a couple of years ago! :x

HammerMTB
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Reminds me of the 55gal. barrel of wheel weights I missed by a few days a couple of years ago! :x

It'd take a crane to load/unload it!
My 5 gallon buckets usually weigh 125-150 lbs!

armyrat1970
07-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Hey sleeper don't sweat it. You still made out like a fat rat and got a pretty good haul.

Jim
07-20-2009, 05:55 AM
In the 32 years I spent in heavy construction, I rigged all kinds of things to be "flown" to the top. I'm trying to think how I would rig a 55 gallon barrel of WWs without tearing the sides off the barrel.

armyrat1970
07-20-2009, 06:35 AM
In the 32 years I spent in heavy construction, I rigged all kinds of things to be "flown" to the top. I'm trying to think how I would rig a 55 gallon barrel of WWs without tearing the sides off the barrel.

You could wrap straps around the barrel about one third below the top to lift it. I would worry more about the bottom falling out because of the weight. That would be a heavy load and wouldn't want to swing it over anyones head.

TAWILDCATT
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
my club gave the range lead to the reloading group for removing from the backstop[indoor range]55gallon barrel would run[this is estimate as we could not move it]between 1000 and 2000 lbs.min.:coffee:

shooterg
07-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Man selling linotype had a 55 gal. barrel full - said it weighed 2200 lbs. Lead's heavier !
But how much air space and junk would affect, of course.

376Steyr
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
If I did the conversion factors right, a solid lead ingot of 55 gallons volume should weigh 4955 lbs.

oneokie
07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
There is/was a shooting supply store in El Reno, OK that was selling reclaimed shot by the 55 gallon barrel. People that bought it that way said the barrels weighed 2700 lbs.