PDA

View Full Version : Pan lube TL boolits?

Caver Dave
07-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Is anyone pan lubing TL boolits with success?

And to answer the "why" questions before they're asked... my background makes me ask silly questions :mrgreen:, so in a nutshell ...

#1) I'd like to use the TL molds, since most folks using them report the boolits drop very round & closer to mold size. This should negate *having* to size them, even though they can be resized.

#2) I'm not opposed to tumble lubing, but my main issue is will the mold/boolits be worth a fiddle if liquid ALOX isn't available (insert any reason the supply could be "cut off")... Where more traditional lube components might be available?

superior
07-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I sometimes Tumble my TL boolits in my own homemade lube of Lithium axel grease and parrafin 50/50. Recently I've added some canola oil to the blend for a softer compound. I shoot 303 brit over 2000fps with no leading. I've read that JPW is also a good substitute for LLA with some shooters getting over 2000fps in 30-36. Basically if your bullet fit is good and pressures are not excessive, alot of different lubes can be used with satisfactory results. Obviously, with lower pressure pistol ammo, lube type becomes less critical as long as boolit fit and alloy composition is correct...at least that's what I've learned by experimentation.
The most accurate boolit I load is the Lee TL-312-160-2r and regardless of the lube used, so far I have yet to experience leading and accuracy is superb. I will let others stimulate the economy and will continue to make my own lube. LLA is a great product but I dont have a need for it.

Leftoverdj
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Is anyone pan lubing TL boolits with success?

And to answer the "why" questions before they're asked... my background makes me ask silly questions :mrgreen:, so in a nutshell ...

#1) I'd like to use the TL molds, since most folks using them report the boolits drop very round & closer to mold size. This should negate *having* to size them, even though they can be resized.

#2) I'm not opposed to tumble lubing, but my main issue is will the mold/boolits be worth a fiddle if liquid ALOX isn't available (insert any reason the supply could be "cut off")... Where more traditional lube components might be available?

Not a problem. TL bullets lube fine in a conventional lubrisizer. For that matter, LLA ain't the only lube. Rooster Jacket works well for most pistol loads. It's said to be an industrial soap so you could probably find a suitable calcium based soap at your local janitorial supply.

Johnson's Paste Wax has a considerable following as a bullet lube. Heat your bullets slightly and tumble with a glob of wax. If you heat them a bit more, you can do the same thing with the wax based stick lubes.

Caver Dave
07-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I left out that these are straight cased pistol boolits.
The appeal of pan lubing (over tumbling, regardless of lube) is precise control of where the lube ends up (not on the tips).

DLCTEX
07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
I dip lube boolits for 45-70 amd 45 ACP using forceps. Just dip to depth wanted or set the boolits upright in a pan, pour to the wanted depth, lift out onto waxpaper and let dry. I have used alox and JPW then alox.

runfiverun
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
i have melted regular old lube and dipped boolits in it. then sized them. it puts the lube in the grooves and cleans off the excess.

Caver Dave
07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
i have melted regular old lube and dipped boolits in it. then sized them. it puts the lube in the grooves and cleans off the excess.

Did any of these boolits happen to be from a Lee TL mold?

Junior1942
07-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Dave, I don't think you have to worry about the LLA supply drying up. It's available as an over-the-counter lubricant of some sort in a 5-gallon bucket. We split a bucket of it here a couple of years ago. I still have my 1/2 gallon unopened.

Caver Dave
07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Dave, I don't think you have to worry about the LLA supply drying up.

Thanks Junior. The concerns not so much the supply "drying up", as much as *ANY* event that could stop the flow of any/ALL goods...

Wouldn't take much "civil unrest", further economic decline, or natural disaster to put a huge kink in all our supply lines. Wouldn't matter if there's 5million gallons in Boise, if the planes/trains/trucks can't get it here (assuming the banks haven't all fallen), it won't do us any good. Short of laying in the proverbial "lifetime supply" of anything/everything needed (where do you draw the line? 1 month of provisions? 1 year? 10 years? That's gonna get VERY expensive!), I'd like to know the options upfront. :mrgreen:

DLCTEX
07-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Scroll to the bottom of the page and find Lar's site, then order a quart of Xlox (Alox equivilent) for $10.50. That will tumble lube all the boolits you will cast for the rest of your days. Yes, I have dip lubed TL boolits in melted stick lube , sized then dipped again. Lube was 50/50 and worked well in 45-70 to 1700 fps.

runfiverun
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
not a one of them.
i have three lee products.
their scoops,their carbide pistol sizers,and their loading manual, as they ripped off everybody. and if i need a load i look there first then find whom they got it from, to verify the actual load used. [you know cases,primers and bullet brand] stuff that changes pressures some.