PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood press, will it handle the .50 BMG?

Sixgun Symphony
07-19-2009, 06:00 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c215/Sixgun_Symphony44-40/HollywoodReloadingPress.jpg

If so, where can I get Hollywood shellholders for the .50 BMG cartridge?

1hole
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Where can you get 50BMG dies that will fit a normal 7/8"x14 thread press?

Firebird
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
You can't, the 50 BMG case diameter is .800"; so large that a 7/8 die (.875", before you cut the threads) just isn't possible.

Sixgun Symphony
07-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the tip, I should have guessed on the dies not fitting into the thread diameter.

exile
07-20-2009, 07:37 AM
How about buying a Lee Classic Cast single stage press? Supposedly it is made to handle the 50 BMG (you can buy it with a 50 BMG kit) and mine only cost
$ 59.99. Just a thought.

exile

Sixgun Symphony
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I might do that, but I am going to see if my Champion press from CH/4D will do the job first. I am still in Iraq and have been making online purchases. Going home will be like Christmas day with all the packages that I will be opening up.

I had purchased the Champion press for swaging 190gr .308 caliber bullets for a project with the .30-30 WCF chambering. It's got some very strong linkage and a large ram, I don't remember if it can take the larger dies for the .50 BMG.

I had purchased the Hollywood press with a mind to flip it for a profit as I bought it for $112.50, but I see them sell between $400 and $600 online. I will likely keep it as a designated press for the .348 Winchester.

edited to add that I got a pretty good collection of vintage reloading gear off of ebay. I might have two of the big Herter's single stage presses for $20 each. I could not pass it up for that price, though I will probably pass them on to friends to get them started in reloading.

Catshooter
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
SS,

Do you have an RCBS AmmoMaster?

If you do, I have the conversion kit that makes it a single stage that is designed to load the .50 BMG. I was going to put it up for sale some time soon.

If you don't, then never mind. :)

Cat

NoDakJak
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
The Hollywood is threaded for a much larger die set than the common 7/8 x 14 and then uses a threaded adapter to allow the use of 7/8 x 14 dies. In the picture it appears that the adapter is missing so you should be good to go as far as thread size. Cartridge length might be the problem. I don't have a case to measure so I can't tell you if there is enough clearance. Mine measures 4 7/8" between the shell holder and the sizing dies.
I would advise against selling the press until you have tried it. They operate smooth as silk. When I began loading almost fifty years ago they were considered to be the Rolls Royces of presses and after owning at least two dozen presses most emphatically agree. Hope that this information helps. Neil

Sixgun Symphony
07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
SS,

Do you have an RCBS AmmoMaster?

If you do, I have the conversion kit that makes it a single stage that is designed to load the .50 BMG. I was going to put it up for sale some time soon.

If you don't, then never mind. :)

Cat

I sure don't. I might trade for one when I get home.

Sixgun Symphony
07-23-2009, 11:12 AM
The Hollywood is threaded for a much larger die set than the common 7/8 x 14 and then uses a threaded adapter to allow the use of 7/8 x 14 dies. In the picture it appears that the adapter is missing so you should be good to go as far as thread size. Cartridge length might be the problem. I don't have a case to measure so I can't tell you if there is enough clearance. Mine measures 4 7/8" between the shell holder and the sizing dies.
I would advise against selling the press until you have tried it. They operate smooth as silk. When I began loading almost fifty years ago they were considered to be the Rolls Royces of presses and after owning at least two dozen presses most emphatically agree. Hope that this information helps. Neil

I won't be able to measure it until I get home. But I am getting more and more set on using it for my .348 Winchester.

singleshot1
07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Six Symphony,
As No Dak Jak said that Hollywood press is missing the7/8X14 bushing. Last I knew they are still in business. I don't have an address handy, but I am sure someone does. If they don't have it in stock, I'm sure they will make one. Yours looks to have a long enough throat to work. Mine was purchased in the early 70's, and is one good press. I do believe they also have other 50 cal. products. Dave:-)

Pressman
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM

The use of a thread adapter on the Hollywood Senior is wrong. This press never had a bushing. They never did. After 1961 a new design was offered that has an improved down stroke operation and other features, this would be the press to find.
Ken

Catshooter
07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
If you need an adaptor Buckshot (on this forum) could maybe make you one. He does excellent work.

Cat

Sixgun Symphony
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the information guys. :)