PDA

View Full Version : Made a rim thickness checker

Buckshot
07-19-2009, 03:59 AM
.............I had a bit of time available the other day and had had a need which has been irritatingly circling around in my head like a gnat for a couple weeks. My scheutzen rifle in 32-40 is crabby about rim thickness. Of course just dragging the breechblock handle up will handily shave off some offending brass, but I don't think it's supposed to be used like that :-) While I have a ton of other things I want to tinker with, I haven't been able to use the milling machine lately, and I wanted to so this project got the go ahead.

http://www.fototime.com/6A3AEAFCA19293E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6960941CF1C4A0A/standard.jpg

I made a rim thickness dealie-bob. I used a piece of .75 x 1.5" 6061 aluminum 3" long. Because it was pretty simple to do, but accuracy would be important it gave me a chance to really do it right. First of all I actually designed it on paper first, which goes against the grain of flying by the seat of the pants. This is my normal routine, and sometimes it even works. The DI is a snug fit as it is but I added a nylon 8-32 sockethead screw as a positive retainer.

http://www.fototime.com/A35A00930CF9145/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/26EB1289D8ED3A5/standard.jpg

First was to mill the ends square to the other sides of the block. Once that was done it was stood on end with 1/2" extending off the edge of the vice, and checked again to be sure it was 90* to the table. I touched off and zeroed the DRO on the side and face of the piece. Then I located the centerline of the case and the hole to hold the DI. The casehead at the rim of my W-W brass is .413", but the hole for the spindle of the DI is .375" so the end sticking up would be the bottom.

Centerdrilled, then step drilled 1/4", 21/64 (.328") then letter U (.368"), then went into backgear and reamed .375". I even remembered this time that going into backgear reverses the spindle rotation! Out of backgear and drilled with a letter Z bit (.413"), then into backgear and reamed .416" as I did need a bit of clearance for the case. Since the center of the block was to be milled out, this depth wasn't critical.

As you can see in the above right photo my neatly drilled and reamed .416" hole became square. I had visualized the slot for the case to slip into as being tapered. Why? Well the case is tapered so it seemed the thing to do. As I removed the aluminum blck and laid it on it's back and was indicateing it flat, I realized that the cartridge case slot didn't HAVE to be tapered to match the case. What reason would the tapered slot serve, and it was just extra work to no good end.

http://www.fototime.com/C871A08F9D79112/standard.jpg

The top arm where the DI went was to be 1/2" thick. I used a 4fl 1/2" rougher. I stuck a slip of .004" thick paper stuck on the end of the block and wound the table up to it until it snatched the paper off, then went in another .0035" to zero. The endmill was 'just' marking the layout blue. Advanced an inch, zeroed the quill touching the top of the block, and dialed it down the full .750" and took a full width cut (slowly!). After that I took .250" cuts, then two .125" cuts to finish the 1.5" length.

To finish up doing the slot for the case I went to a 1/4" 4fl endmill and slotted down the center in 2 passes, then a full depth pass removing .083" on both sides for a total width of .416" which pretty well wiped out my nice reamed .416" hole. I raised the endmill up halfway and took another thousandth off each side (total .418") thinking it would be easier to slide the case in. Probably made no difference at all.

http://www.fototime.com/EF30CB149E81144/standard.jpg

It's easy to insert a case. As in the above photo you tip the case rim in under the spindle head and take your reading. This is the first time I've ever checked rim thickness and it's an eye opener!

This was a fun and simple project that gave me a chance to do a couple things I hadn't done before (besides draw a plan out with coordinates on paper!) and it turned out well. It took a bit longer then I thought it should, but most of that was me double checking myself against the coordinates I'd plotted out. I thought I had a suitable DI tip to use but didn't so I had to make one up, and just used some brass so it wouldn't, er ...............clash with the brass case :-)

...............Buckshot

Bill*
07-19-2009, 08:49 AM
One question. Doesn't this as shown add in primer seating depth to the equation? I would have thought you would indicate off the base itself (off to the side of the primer). Very nice work in any case.

sundog
07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Buckshot, how much would you want for one of those - 32-40, just like yours?

gnoahhh
07-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice job of work, Buckshot. I assume you just slide the case over a little to measure rim thickness and not primer depth. I've been pondering a rim thickness gauge for .22 RF Match ammo and I think you just showed me how to do it! Time to fire up the Bridgeport!

Doc Highwall
07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice job Buckshot, I have one made by Champions Choice for 22RF, the reason I bought it was for the price at the time covered the cost of the indicator. As to Bill* question a small counter-bore slightly larger then the primer will fix that. Next thing I see you doing is trimming the rim thickness's and recutting the primer pocket depths. Good Luck!

longhorn47
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks good to me now start to make them in 22 RF I want one GOOD JOB

Buckshot
07-20-2009, 02:28 AM
One question. Doesn't this as shown add in primer seating depth to the equation? I would have thought you would indicate off the base itself (off to the side of the primer). Very nice work in any case.

Bill*, the disc attachment On the end of the DI's spindle is flat so it reads across the rim. The only way it'd read the primer was if the primer was up above the rim.

sundog, Oh I guess $25? Should be mailable 1st class (or did you mean with a DI too?

gnoahhh, nope, the case is centered in the slot and the disc on the DI spindle reads across the rim. See the 2nd set of photo's, and the one on the right shows an 'end on' view of the spindle disc. It's face is flat, so there is no primer measuring going on, just rim thickness.

Doc Highwall, I doubt I'll trim the rim thickness (done from the backside). I'll probably just segregate the brass. I thought I might be able to setup a FL die in a collet, and use that to hold the cases. I'd have to see how true the die and case would run? I guess they might be tapped in snugly enough to hold against the light cutting effort to remove a couple thou off the upper face of the rim.

longhorn47, I just might! :-)

Appreciate the comments guys!

................Buckshot

Calamity Jake
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
If you want to face off the rims the make you a collet to hold the case, just take a piece of round alum. stock about 3/8-1/2 in. larger than the case head, in your lathe skim cut the OD to a lenght of about 3/4 inch then face of the end, now drill and ream a hole(no taper needed) .003-.005 larger than the case head then part off to 3/4 long and face part off end now with a hacksaw/band saw cut a slit length wise on one side, deburr the slit now insert case to be trimed in collet with rim against face install in 3 jaw chuck with slit somewhere between jaws, when you close the jaws they will squeeze the alum. around the case, gripping it, now indicate the rim, when it runs true the face will run true, now go to trimming.