PDA

View Full Version : Lee neck size die

NoZombies
07-18-2009, 01:43 AM
I just got my first neck-sizing die, and I'm having a problem with it...

The die doesn't do any sizing. I've tightened it as much as possible, but it seems like the part that's supposed to tighten the collet doesn't make much contact if any.

Am I missing something? I'm thinking about putting a washer in to see if that will tighten it up.

Any other thoughts? or just need to send it back?

mag44uk
07-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Its worth taking a look at Lees website. There are good articles and videos on using their equipment.
In this instance I would guess that the die isnt screwed down far enough.
Try turning the die down half a turn at a time until the collet engages with the neck.
I have a couple of these collet die sets and they work well.
HTH
Tony

zomby woof
07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
I bought a LEE NS die for my 6.5X55. It did not size the neck small enough. The bullet would fall right through the neck. I had to turn down the sizer rod to get some neck tension. I've since gone to RCBS, I don't like the ribs the collect puts on the neck.

Gee_Wizz01
07-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Have you taken the die apart and cleaned it? Check to see if the collet is sprung closed (the instruction sheet tells how to do this.) Also check the diameter of the sizing rod to see if its to large. I have a number of Lee collet dies and I love them, my brass lasts a lot longer.
G

HeavyMetal
07-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Are you looking for "visable" signs of sizing or or the case necks not holding the boolit?

You won't see much sign the case neck has been sized with the collet die.

However if your not getting correct neck tension then a smaller rod for the die should be available from Lee or you can reduce the diameter of the one you have.

Some of the die sets. like 7.62X39, come with two rods one in 308 the other in 310 depending on which bolit you want to shoot.

To really answer this question I guess we need a little more information on your problem!

StarMetal
07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
What you will eventually do tightening it, adding a washer, etc., is pop the aluminum cap out of the top of the die stripping the threads from the cap requiring a new one from Lee.

What I do using my collect dies, was first set it up as per directions, then I size a case and give it kind of a double tap of the press handle while rotating the case some between handle strokes. Much more simple to do then explain. I've have good results. Lee states that you can only reduce the collet shaft diameter so much and that's it.

Joe

07-18-2009, 12:18 PM
NoZombies,

I use them for all my rifle cartridges, and they work well.

You may want to measure the neck of an un-sized case versus one you've sized. The die may be doing its job, but, like me, you probably don't have micrometer eyes.

Like Gee Whiz01 said, check to see that the collet hasn't "sprung" Had it happen to be, once. Just follow the directions to "un-sprung" it.

Shiloh
07-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Is the collet stuck?? If so free it and clean it. Remove any metal burrs if it was forced.
I adjust it so that when the ram closes, there is some tension as it goes "over the top"
of the travel on the ram. Sort of like a vise gripe that gives resistance before it goes "over the top" and locks into place.

The other thing is size, turn the cartridge a quarter or third, and size again. I have a lot of LEE neck sizers and love 'em.

Shiloh

1hole
07-18-2009, 04:25 PM
You haven't screwed the die down far enough to activate the collet closer.

Go quarter turns, at most, any more will likely overshoot where you want it to be. And it will work fine when you do your part.

And don't lean on the lever like a gorilla when you do get bullet tension. The way that thing works is that what you get is what you get, you can't make it tigher by more pressure but you CAN push the aluminum top cap out!

bcp477
07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Not quite on the subject of this thread, I know, but I thought I'd pass this along anyway. You can easily neck size only with the standard Lee case sizing dies. Just adjust the die so that there is about 1/32" (or only very light contact) between the shellholder and the bottom of the die, when the press handle is completely closed. That's it....simple and easy....and it does the job just fine. I set out years ago to purchase one of the Lee Collet dies, but I found through experimentation that it wasn't necessary - so I never have bothered.

NoZombies
07-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Well, here's the scoop:

Unsized and "sized" case necks have the same diameter, so it's not doing any sizing at all.

I didn't get any instructions with the die at all, And no instuction manual for the collet dies on leeprecision.com.

Currently I can take the die off of the press, and drop a (deprimed) case down the depriming rod (mandrel), and it will come to rest in the die with the case shoulder against the shoulder of the collet. The top portion of the die is tightened as much as I can by hand, and I really don't want to use pliers on it, as it's already pushing past the o-ring to metal on metal.

This is a die for the .22 hornet, and as an experiment, I tried running a .223 shell into it (the .223 of course, has a much thicker neck) and there was no change in the neck size of the .223 either, it too, simply came to rest shoulder to shoulder.

When I get home next week I can measure the mandrel, but I'll say that with the top at it's tightest, there's a goodly gap (way more than neck thickness) between the mandrel and the collet.

Sounds like I've got a lemon, or I'm using it wrong :(

jhrosier
07-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Well, here's the scoop:

Unsized and "sized" case necks have the same diameter, so it's not doing any sizing at all.

I didn't get any instructions with the die at all,....

Sounds like I've got a lemon, or I'm using it wrong :(

The Lee collet sizing dies works differently than standard sizing dies.

1. Screw the die down until it toches the shellholder, with no case.

2. Lower the ram.

3. Turn the die down 2-1/2 more turns and tighten the locknut.

Once the die is adjusted this way, DO NOT raise the ram fully without a case. It will spring the collet closed and you will not be able to insert a case.

(If you have already crushed the collet, remove the collet and gently pry the fingers open a bit with a small screwdriver.)

The collet die needs just firm hand pressure to size the neck. You do not need to put heavy pressure on the handle.

It may be required to put a touch of anti-sieze compound on the outside of the collet, in the tapered area at the top. One of my collets was rough on this area and started to gall. I gave it a quick polish with some fine emory cloth and a little anti=sieze and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Jack

1hole
07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
"...I'm using it wrong "

skeet1
07-19-2009, 09:40 AM
The Lee Collet die is one of the best investments I have made. I use it for the .303 British and it saves brass by not over sizing and stops most of the streching. Try this web addres for a lLee video on adjusting the Collet die. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

Skeet1

DLCTEX
07-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I have the Lee collet die in 22 Hornet and find it excellent. I do have to sort my brass as some of the brass I have has thin necks and requires a different adjustment. I bought some used brass and some of it may have turned necks as it is thinner than other brass in the same brand(R-P). I really like the fact I don't have to lube the cases and my brass is only worked where it has to be. I did have to run all the used brass through a regular full length die once as some of it must have been fired in a gun with a generous chamber.

NoZombies
07-19-2009, 02:34 PM
The Lee collet sizing dies works differently than standard sizing dies.

1. Screw the die down until it toches the shellholder, with no case.

2. Lower the ram.

3. Turn the die down 2-1/2 more turns and tighten the locknut.

Once the die is adjusted this way, DO NOT raise the ram fully without a case. It will spring the collet closed and you will not be able to insert a case.

(If you have already crushed the collet, remove the collet and gently pry the fingers open a bit with a small screwdriver.)

The collet die needs just firm hand pressure to size the neck. You do not need to put heavy pressure on the handle.

It may be required to put a touch of anti-sieze compound on the outside of the collet, in the tapered area at the top. One of my collets was rough on this area and started to gall. I gave it a quick polish with some fine emory cloth and a little anti=sieze and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Jack

Ahh... the missing instructions!

Thanks a lot, I'll try that when I get home

Frank
07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Never "cam over." You'll strip the threads. It's a good die for low run-out. But it sizes minimally. If you need more tension, you can sand it down.

Shiloh
07-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Good advice about a touch of anti-seize compound or lube on the collet. I have a trace on mine. Once you get yours working, you'll love it. They really are a well designed unit.

Shiloh

jhrosier
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Also note:

Lee will make a custom sized mandrel for the collet die for short money.
I don't have the details at my fingertips, but recall seeing the info on their website.

Jack