PDA

View Full Version : Is This Bud For You?

JohnH
07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Every so often, it is time to ask two questions, what is your favorite casting music and what is your favorite casting beer? Now I realize the rools say no drinking while casting, and so's ya know I ain't talking about gettin' blasted on the job so to speak. But I do enjoy a cold frosty while I'm makin' and lubin' boolits. I also enjoy a variety of music from classical, to blues to blue grass. as to frosties, Yeungling Black and Tan or Budweiser American Ale. If neither of those are at hand, then a simple Pabst suffices. So what's on tap and speaker at your bench?

454PB
07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I like beer, but I never drink beer while casting/loading or when on my motorcycle.

I like music too, in fact I am a musician, but I like to listen to talk radio while casting/loading......usually Dave Ramsey or Fred Thompson.

MT Gianni
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
One of my rules to avoid lead ingestion is to never eat or drink anything in my casting area. All odors are particulites, if my wife can smell it it's in the air and on containers. If I get thirsty I clean up, wash arms hands and face then drink something. Smoking was another way of getting lead from hands to mouth than shortened the life of many old printers

runfiverun
07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
since my choices are the a.m. or the p.m. station, i usually listen to shawn hannity while i am casting,he usually keeps me riled up enough to produce a quantity of good boolits.
and yes i put the a.m and p.m. its on in the morning and at night,and doug chooses the p.m. music,unless you call him and ask for something different.

mooman76
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I usually listen to the TV while casting. Makes the time go by quicker and the job seems easier. For ahile I listened to Shiana Twain or the sound track to Brother Where Art Thou. I also drink Miller lite wile casting orloading. I know it's a no no but I usually only drink one or two at the most and not fast enough for me to even feel the effects and I'm always careful not to touch near the mouth of the can.

archmaker
07-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Rock and roll and my own homebrew (I usually make something that is somewhat like a newcastle but with more body to it once had 17gallons fermenting at the same time :) )

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin!

44man
07-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Being a lazy caster, I never need a drink because I am done too fast! :mrgreen: I cast what I need for a few shooting sessions.
But all of you ignore one thing. :confused:
Smoking will kill you faster then lead on the cigarette. Of course it adds to the poison but you are already a walking dead man! :drinks:

Bret4207
07-18-2009, 07:40 AM
My kids have never seen me drink at home. We keep little or no alcohol at home, might be a little brandy during cold and flu season. Being the child of alcoholics, I will not introduce my kids to the idea of "recreational drinking" or subject them to and the rest of my family to the side of me that comes out when I drink. One is never enough, so I don't start.

Thankfully, I never got into tobacco.

On those few occasions I'm in a position when I can have a beer I prefer Sam Adams Ocktoberfest if I can get it.

crabo
07-18-2009, 09:42 AM
One of my rules to avoid lead ingestion is to never eat or drink anything in my casting area. All odors are particulites, if my wife can smell it it's in the air and on containers. If I get thirsty I clean up, wash arms hands and face then drink something. Smoking was another way of getting lead from hands to mouth than shortened the life of many old printers

This concept is something I don't understand. We say that casting is safe and the only way you can get a hazard from casting is to overheat the lead and vapporize it. So if that is true, it would stand to reason that lead particles are not floating around in the air.

If ...... lead particles are floating around and landing on my food or drink, then I am also breathing them and injesting them in my lungs. So casting is not safe. It makes sense to wash your hands after handling lead before you touch your food, but I have trouble with the concept of not driking out of a glass or bottle while you cast.

I am not being argumentative. Someone help me understand this please.

Doble Troble
07-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Something's got to kill you...

Blammer
07-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I like Natural Ice or Natural Lite.

Usually one beer before or after the casting session is enough for me.

Can't drink during, because I don't have 3 hands! lol

music? Well the kids playing outside or upstairs is usually all the music I get to listen too. Some times it's sweet and other times it can be grating and need some attention. (especially when they squabble...)

1Shirt
07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I go along with runfiverun! Listening to Limbaugh and or Hannity seems to produce the best quality blts for me. I do drink coffee or ice tea while casting, and always have a fan blowing behind me. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but I am 70, been casting basicly the same way for 50 years, and doubt there is much that would change my mind or make me do it differently!
1Shirt!:coffee:

S.R.Custom
07-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Because of the long sleeve shirt & gloves I wear during casting, I usually cast during the cool of the day. Which means the beverage of choice during casting sessions is usually coffee. Seems appropriate-- two pots of hot liquid goodness are better than one...

MT Gianni
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
This concept is something I don't understand. We say that casting is safe and the only way you can get a hazard from casting is to overheat the lead and vapporize it. So if that is true, it would stand to reason that lead particles are not floating around in the air.

If ...... lead particles are floating around and landing on my food or drink, then I am also breathing them and injesting them in my lungs. So casting is not safe. It makes sense to wash your hands after handling lead before you touch your food, but I have trouble with the concept of not driking out of a glass or bottle while you cast.

Crabo, I understand it is not the particulates, it is ingestion from hands to mouth that is most harmful. I don't smell odors when I cast, but do when I flux. I wouldn't want the smoke and crud from smelting or casting to settle on a can and then drink out of it is my point. The lead ingestiion from smokers was traced to their fingers on cigarrettes, then that lead on the paper being burned and inhaled.

JohnH
07-18-2009, 11:59 AM

the concern is that of duct created when the sprues are broken. Take a good look at tyour bench top after a casting session, you will likely find a lot of "fines". Those are mostly produced when the sprue is broken on opening the sprue plate. If there is stuff you can see, there is stuff that is finer still. All that considered, 44man has it right. If you ar a smoker, you are in more danger from that than from any lead ingestion from casting. I keep my drink on a counter behind me and always have my back to it as I cast.

crabo
07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I always cast with a fan blowing across me, but not directly at my pot. My sweet tea is behind the fan. I use a fan the same way when I smelt. I could not live in Texas without fans and sweet tea.

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I do most of my loading and casting in the morning but if im at it on a hot afternoon im not beyond cracking a bush light.

shooterg
07-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I like a COLD beer AFTER a HOT casting session. Since I was a teenager, I could recite the entire verbage on a Budweiser label, actually owned stock in Bud until they sold out to ImBev and caused me to pay more taxes last year ! Now I stock Yuengling in my old Dr. Pepper bottle machine, as they are now the oldest American owned brewery.

RayinNH
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I love Yuengling, but they don't distribute up to New England :cry:...Ray

jim4065
07-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't seem to drink as much beer as I used to - ever since switching to Bud Lite Lime. That stuff is so good a little goes a long ways.......and it even tastes good as it warms up a bit.

However, I see nothing wrong with drinking a beer while casting. Like everything else in life, it's a balance of risk and reward. YMMV.

I'll fess up - haven't cast since May. Got so many other things going on, and lots of components ready for reloading (which I haven't done for 3 weeks).

Music - 60's and 70's, sometimes instrumentals, but usually I just listen to myself talk (occasionally some interesting stuff comes out). :veryconfu

BD
07-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I never eat or drink anything while hand casting from a pot. I've spent too much of my life fighting my lead levels to go there. However, when i'm casting with the master caster, which is in a cabinet under a hood, I've been known to keep or a cold Yuengling or Sam Adams around the corner, outside of the cabinet.
BD

DLCTEX
07-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I took ten years out of life and drank full time till I got 'er done. Diet Coke or unsweetened ice tea is my brew of choice. Smoked for about the same number of years and quit when they got too expensive (50 cents a pk.) and I had a wreck going after a pack.(10-4-71) I will drink from a can or glass that is away from the casting area, and am careful to keep my hands away from the mouth area.

WILCO
07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
But when I cast, I've been known to enjoy a cigar with the Rat Pack or maybe Tony Bennet, or Frank, Dino by themselves. I like a good coffee too.......

AZ-Stew
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I usually have a beer open on the bench while casting. My lead level was 2 at last physical, was 4 a year and a half before. Don't see any harm in it. Keep your fingers out of your mouth and off your food until you've washed your hands thoroughly (use a brush!).

I've gotten hooked on Paulaner Salvator. Made in Germany. Unfortunately, it's expensive. If you don't know the difference between Hop flavor and Malt flavor in beer, get a bottle of Salvator (malty) and a bottle of Hazed and Infused (hoppy) (Boulder Beer Co., Boulder, CO) and drink them alternately. Malt, hops, malt, hops. It's a party for your taste buds.

Regards,

Stew

EMC45
07-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Try not to drink or eat while casting. have had my lead tested and it was around 5. They said no problem, because my house was built in 1950 and I was remodeling my home. They said it could have been from all the old paint in my home or the cast/reloading/shooting I do. They said no worries that 5 was acceptable. I listen to NPR while I cast and reload BTW. WHAT?!?!?! I know it's a lib station, but I like Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion. I do most of my cast ing/reloading on Saturday mornings so that's when the good shows are on.

Echo
07-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I occasionally have an opened Cherry Coke in an insulator nearby when I am casting. Usually not - no time to drink when you are in a zone.
I don't drink much - a Smoteroo Hotv before dinner usually...

(Never heard of a Smoteroo Hotv? My own acronym. Stands for Sapphire Martini On The Rocks, one olive, Hold The vermouth). Five ice cubes, small dribble of olive brine, one Queen cocktail olive, filler up w/Bombay Sapphire gin. Aaahhh...

leadman
07-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't drink alcohol, but was hooked on Coca-Cola until the price climbed and my income went down (retired). Now I drink Big 5 cola, a store brand. I usually have a can in the garage with a plastic lid on it. I have a sink in the garage so I do a quick wash of the lower face before I get a drink. Also the can is 20' away from my casting area.
Usually listen to a real country music station if it is coming in o.k., otherwise it is classic rock.

bruce drake
07-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Nothing wrong with listening to the enemy (NPR). It helps to know what they are plotting...Actually, I listen to them when my regular guys on the radio (Hannity and Rush) get a bit off on a tangent.

Bruce

Sam Adams White Ale, Blackberry Wheat or Yuengling are my preferred beers when I drink and cast....

PatMarlin
07-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Casting is the same with machining, oil and nastys- I just don't eat without washing my hands, and don't touch anything that touches my lips or goes into the house. Coffee mug handle gets a thorough scrubbing too.

I bought a sample case of Sam Adams at Costco- good stuff. I like ice beer (beer over ice) usually 1 a day in the summer. Like Hannidy but get tired of his holy worship of Republicans. Like those idiots are competent, and I'm one, but going independent. Like Mike Savage, but he gets on my nerves too with his way to one sided opinions sometimes.

Love Sinatra, Dino, and Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash too.

Wayne Smith
07-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Spent about two hours on the back porch yesterday with the new 44/444 Miha mold and two Lee molds. At the end I was exhausted, soaked in sweat, and needed to re-hydrate. I can understand having a drink available while casting, I would have lasted longer if I had re-hydrated during casting. It's hard to break when you have a mold singing!

jawjaboy
07-20-2009, 07:47 AM
After working 30 years in, and retiring this year from the brewing world, I'm a lil partial to my brands. ;-)

It's Miller time.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IMG_0226.jpg

BD
07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
+1 on listening to both sides. It's rare that either side gets it entirely right, but it helps to know what they're thinking. There's usually a grain of truth amongst the BS, but both sides slant their reporting toward their political position.

We used to listen to Rush and Dr. Laura on the job in the morning. It was known as "the right wing comedy hour". Unfortunately Rush isn't as funny now that he's off the smack, and Dr. Laura's ratings went through the floor after she hired a screener that entirely weeded out the opposition.

NPR has sent me into screaming fits a few times. The reporting of BO's talk to the NRA and the whole "US gun shows supply Mexican drug cartels with firearms" come to mind.

On the job site I'll put up with anyone's talk radio over some of the rap/acid rock crap thats on the air. The volumes usually lower. I'm famous for throwing radios off the roof when they annoy me.

BD

Bret4207
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I forgot about the listening part. I tend to lean towards Marty Robbins, Brook Benton, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Tom Petty, The Kingston Trio, Roy Rogers, early Springsteen, and a whole lot of lesser knowns like Stan Rogers, a great, late Canadian talent, and a lot of celtic music like Clannard, Enya, Dougie Mclane, and a lot of others.

If it's radio then my #1 is Glenn Beck. He's aobut the only one saying what I think out there. Rush bores me to tears, he's so in the tank for the RNC and for RUSH that it just drives me nuts. Hannity is worse and Michael Savage is just a yippy dog that makes sense every once in a while. We get Laura Ingram in the evening and sometimes I listen, she's not bad.

In the early AM I listen to NPR, used to do it religiously. It decent news despite the liberal slant. And it IS slanted. Same for our local NPR carrier and their "news". But it lets you know what the other side thinks in more detail than TV. I also used to listen a lot of Canadian news and talk radio. 10% of our population and 3x the problems.

What to drink while casting? How about a nice cold water or hot coffee?

Geraldo
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't drink alcohol while casting, loading, or shooting. However, I do drink beer after those activities. My current favorite is Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.

If I listen to the radio it's tuned to NPR or sports. I also like to drink when I'm looking for music to download to my iPod, which accounts for some eclectic playlists. My recent downloads include Robert Plant and Alison Krause, Merle Haggard, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Duffy, Son Volt, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Luigi Boccherini, and a perennial favorite, the Dropkick Murphys.

MtGun44
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Any time you handle lead, small particles can be wiped off onto your hands. Any eating
or drinking where your hands may get a chance to transfer this to your mouth. This is
not good. The majority of lead in the body comes in thru the mouth.

Nuff said. Be safe.

Bill

JohnH
07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Try not to drink or eat while casting. have had my lead tested and it was around 5. They said no problem, because my house was built in 1950 and I was remodeling my home. They said it could have been from all the old paint in my home or the cast/reloading/shooting I do. They said no worries that 5 was acceptable. I listen to NPR while I cast and reload BTW. WHAT?!?!?! I know it's a lib station, but I like Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion. I do most of my cast ing/reloading on Saturday mornings so that's when the good shows are on.

Car Talk is the Bomb (as my daughter would say) I enjoy PH Companion as well, and love the blues they get into on a Saturday night. Yeah NPR definitely has a lib slant, but you and go to www.npr.org and get in on the replies to the daily broadcasts. You'd prolly be shocked how many conservative, pro-gunner types listen and comment. I bet we all love being thorns in their side, I know I do.

EMC45
07-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Car Talk is the Bomb (as my daughter would say) I enjoy PH Companion as well, and love the blues they get into on a Saturday night. Yeah NPR definitely has a lib slant, but you and go to www.npr.org and get in on the replies to the daily broadcasts. You'd prolly be shocked how many conservative, pro-gunner types listen and comment. I bet we all love being thorns in their side, I know I do.

The funny thing is that I have heard the "Tappet Brothers" comment a bunch on shooting. Mainly Skeet and shotgun sports. They will usually recommend it for someone that is stressed. They'll tell 'em they need to go to the skeet range. I always get a laugh.

Hip's Ax
07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I never drink at home (not a decision or anything, I just don't have the hankerin') but on those weekend long rifle matches where my buddies and I tent camp at the range, after the shooting is all over and equipment cleaned up and dinner consumed I love a few Yuengling Lagers!

Music, Country. Period.

theperfessor
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I drink so little alcohol that its not worth commenting on. I'm not a temperance worker or anything like that, but I have Type 1 diabetes and have a hell of a time keeping blood sugar under control with alcohol as part of diet.

When I cast I usually have a 20 oz bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper stuck down in a coffee can full of ice. Keep the lid on except when taking drink. I also keep granola bars in shop in sealed wrappers in case I need sugar boost. I take off my gloves and wipe hands with hand cleaner before touching either.

Music? I listen to a local FM classic rock station, lots of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Beatles, Eagles, ELO, etc. Talk radio of any political persuasion annoys the hell out of me, like living in a house with a yipping lap dog on one side and a braying donkey on the other. Car Talk is OK, just not on when I usually cast.

Circuit Rider
07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
A very cold Corona,(1) only, then a quality $8 or $10 dollar cigar, and I'm set to cast for a few hours. Circuit Rider

geargnasher
07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I always cast with a fan blowing across me, but not directly at my pot. My sweet tea is behind the fan. I use a fan the same way when I smelt. I could not live in Texas without fans and sweet tea.

LOL! Can I quote you on that last part? Thermometer in the relodin' shack read 106* just a few minutes ago!

Gear

Recluse
07-25-2009, 07:33 PM
I usually have the local classical station on when casting or reloading. Occasionally I'll put on some blues or some of the older REAL country music (Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc).

I'm a nazi when it comes to alcohol and gunpowder. I saw a good friend killed at age 17 cleaning an unloaded gun. He'd had a beer, the other guy had had a couple, I'd had none. Second guy was handing Mike the "unloaded" 20-guage, and as he was swinging the barrel around, he pulled the trigger and Mike took a blast of 20-guage point blank to the chest.

It was a stupid judgment type of thing. Wasn't the beer's fault, wasn't the gun's fault, it was our friend's fault for not double/triple-checking the firearm to make sure it was unloaded. But a couple of beers impaired judgment and memory. But Mike was just as dead and I saw it happen not even three feet away. Could've just as easily been me that got it.

I save my frosted mug for when I finish mowing the yard on a hot Texas afternoon. It never gets near my guns or reloading shop. Ever.

:coffee:

Heavy lead
07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
I usually have the local classical station on when casting or reloading. Occasionally I'll put on some blues or some of the older REAL country music (Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc).

I'm a nazi when it comes to alcohol and gunpowder. I saw a good friend killed at age 17 cleaning an unloaded gun. He'd had a beer, the other guy had had a couple, I'd had none. Second guy was handing Mike the "unloaded" 20-guage, and as he was swinging the barrel around, he pulled the trigger and Mike took a blast of 20-guage point blank to the chest.

It was a stupid judgment type of thing. Wasn't the beer's fault, wasn't the gun's fault, it was our friend's fault for not double/triple-checking the firearm to make sure it was unloaded. But a couple of beers impaired judgment and memory. But Mike was just as dead and I saw it happen not even three feet away. Could've just as easily been me that got it.

I save my frosted mug for when I finish mowing the yard on a hot Texas afternoon. It never gets near my guns or reloading shop. Ever.

:coffee:

I agree, no alcohol with firearms, sharpening knives, power tools, bows, tree stands, and on and on. I don't need nor really even like to have any sort of an impairment when I'm doing something dangerous, or the potential to be dangerous.

southpaw
07-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I prefer budweiser (because u deserve what every individual should enjoy regularly). I dont mind getting hammered once in while (hey Im only 26) but never with guns, casting or reloading stuff. I have way too much to live for (wife and kids well the second is due in oct) Just with some friends, never could get the hang of drinking alone. I might have 1 or 2 while casting or reloading but thats it.

As for music the only thing that I cant stand, I say thing because I dont consider it music, is rap. I have a very broad taste. +1 on the older country. The new country isnt the same and personaly I think that it needs a new catagory. Older/clasic rock 70s - 80s, some of the newer rock is good but it isnt the same.

Jerry Jr.

redneckdan
07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Blatz if I want something cold and wet....

Dos Equis Especial if I want cold, wet and tasty...