PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lee alox lube

k8bor
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm involved in the group buy for the ranch dog bullet molds, and I know these bullets lube with the Lee alox lube. Excuse my ignorance, buy I was interested in suggestions for lubing methods with this stuff. I guess I'm trying to find an easy way to lube these bullets without getting lube all over the bullet noses. Can someone make some suggestions?
thx

Urny
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
You can dip lube with the LLA by pouring some in a shallow pan and using a pair of tweezer to hold the boolit nose, then dip. Set it on wax paper of foil and let the LLA cure. I just tumble mine in a can with some of the liquid sprayed on, then tumble with mica the next day. Works quickly and cuts the mess effectively. I treat nearly all my .45 ACP boolits like that.

k8bor
03-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Again my ignorance. I've been casting for about 10 years with conventional lubes etc. and never heard of the mica thing. Is it a powder that adheres to the lube to cut down on the stickiness or what? thx for ur input.
dave

flhroy
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
I heat the boolits up in a metal coffee can. I get 'em so they're not too hot to touch but too hot to hold on to for more than 10 seconds or so. I tumble lube in a different container so I don't heat up the residual lube. That seems to help keep the aroma down a bit so I'm alloyed to do this in the kitchen.

Bret4207
03-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Either put the boolits in something like a margarine dish or a zip lock baggie. Put in a bunch of boolits. Add a little, maybe 1/4 tablespoon, of Lee Liquid Ear Wax, I mean Liquid Alox. ( Also known as Frog or Mule Snot). Shake or turn the holder up/down/sideways, whatever to get the boolits evenly coated. Then dump the boolits on a hunk of waxed paper or saran wrap. Leave anywhere from an hour to over night. The sooner you need them, the sticker they'll be. They're gonna be a little sticky no matter what. If that bothers you dump the boolits in another DIFFERENT baggie or tub. Dust the boolits with something like powdered graphite, Motor Mica, Moly dust ( the prefered dust agents) or cornstarch, talc powder or even flour. Powdered graphite/mica/molybendumdisulfide (sp) is available at machine shop outlets, Brownells and Midway. All it does is stick to the lube and stop the stickyness while adding a bit of lubrication for the moca type stuff. Talc,cornstarch, etc would be a very mild abrasive, but will work in a pinch.

Having looked at the Ranch Dog drawing, I don't know how you would not get Frog Snot on the boolit nose. It's no big deal to me. If it really, really bothers you you could try standing a bunch of boolits on a tray and pouring the Frog Snot around them, but you're going to need a LOT of Frog Snot to do that. Seems like a lot of work for what little bother it is.

versifier
03-24-2006, 01:04 AM
1. Swirl them gently in a round bottomed margarine container - I like the one with the ears of corn on the side. 1/4-1/3tsp for 100 boolits. (Or carefully add a good splop - that's a technical term for the right amount). Metal or squared bottom containers and rough handling can damage the boolits, especially the bases of plain based boolits, so go easy with them. For large or long boolits, work in batches of fifty or so at a time. When the lube begins to build up in the bottom of the container, add a few drops of mineral spirits before adding the boolits.
2. Lay them out on wax paper or aluminum foil to dry. If you want to stand them up, fine. They dry faster and more completely in cooler temperatures, but at least leave them overnight. Mica may help for handling them in warmer weather, but I live in a relatively cold climate and don't need to bother with it, (except to lube case necks before fl sizing).
3. Size them and seat the gas checks (if necessary). They might need a second coat of lube if they lead a bit or you want to push them faster, if so, repeat steps 1 - 3 before loading when necessary. Buckshot makes odd sized push through dies for less money, faster turnaround, and much better quality than custom ordering them from Lee ($19 shipped vs. $25 + shipping).
4. Load them.
5. Wipe the noses of the boolits in the loaded rounds with a rag and some mineral spirits.

If you don't want to get Liquid Alox on your hands, wear latex gloves if you want, but it wipes right off and I have no allergy to it, so I don't bother with them.

k8bor
03-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Thank you everyone, got a bunch of ways to do it now.......
k8bor

357maximum
04-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Try ziploc tumble lubing with warm bullets and johnsons paste wax. Works as well or better (IMHO) and by morning they will not be sticky. 6-7 dollars for that yellow can will do many thousands of boolits. I am surprised someone isn't marketing this stuff yet. I like it for my lower velocity stuff, but will do anything liquid frog snot will do. I have shot it at well over 1800 with gas checks and zero regrets when used with a proper fitting boolit. I coat what some would consider heavy but I like em that way, reminds me of a .22 bullet.