PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli rolling block

Flintlockrecord
07-17-2009, 03:50 AM
I have just purchased a Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70.
Where do these fit strength wise for reloading.

The ADI powder site http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/rifle.asp
lists 3 levels of loads.
ruger No.1.,

1895 Marlin lever,

Trapdoor springfield

I have a good load (3" at 200 yds) towards the top of the 'Trapdoor"loads but I would like to work up some loads for 600 yards and am not sure how far to go.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

NickSS
07-17-2009, 04:47 AM
I think all pedersolli rifles meant for black powder are proofed for 28,000 psi. This places them in the mid range strength wise of the three classes of loads. As for 600 yard shooting try a 500 plus grain bullet driven by 60 to 65 gr of black powder. This works for me all the way out to 1000 yards but you need a tall sight on your tang. By the way this load will not put stress on your rifle.

longhorn
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Keep an eye on the back end of the firing pin and the back side of the block for peening; you don't want the pin sticking in forward position when the block gets flipped forward. Both the hammer nose and the block on mine (an old one, admittedly) were soft and showed noticeable wear in relatively few rounds.

Buckshot
07-19-2009, 04:15 AM
.............I had a Pedersoli Creedmore RB in 45-70 and fired loads listed for the 1895 Marlin. I'm not suggesting you do, nor will I post any of the upper end loads. Just as a newly made TD Springfield rifle may be made out of modern alloy steel and correctly heat treated, it's weakness is in it's design. It is more then adequate with any load using the only propellant that was around when it was designed. While the RB is much stronger then the TD in it's design, it still has weaknesses that place limitations on it.

...............Buckshot