PDA

View Full Version : My first WW score!

Rockydog
07-16-2009, 11:13 PM
About a month ago I asked the tire/quick lube shop owner where I get my tires and oil changes (to the tune of nearly $1000 last year) if they had any wheelweights I could buy. The owner asked what I was going to use them for and I said to cast bullets. He said he wasn't into guns much and didn't see any need to have one and that he didn't sell the used weights end of story. His whole attitude rubbed me wrong. I told my wife that we should look for another place to do business. She reminded me that one of her best friends husband is the shop manager at a local car dealer, ironically the brand we drive but we've never done business there. She sees the guy almost daily at her place of employment and asked him yesterday if he had any wheel weights. He said yes he had a bunch of them to get rid of. I stopped tonight at closing with buckets and got about 6 gallons for free. Looks like I've got a new oil change and tire place. He's about $2.00 higher than the other shop but offers free tire rotation and brake insp. Took me about 2 hours to sort. Pulled out 57 zinc weights, about the same number of iron stick ons, and a heaping handful of lead stick ons. All in all, fairly clean. Not casting yet but getting close. Have all of the molds I need, 80 lbs pure lead, hopefully about that much WW once I get it smelted, A nice ladle, 2 ingot molds, a smelting burner. Just need a smelting pot, production pot and a little tin and I should be set to go. Until then I'm still lurking.:grin: RD

HeavyMetal
07-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Dude;
Your not lurking your "stock piling" Very well done!

fredj338
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Well done. The fact the tire store owner was antigun & so willing to tell you would have put me off as well. You have to be persistent. I have looked for years in OC for cheap ww & finally found a guy close buy. I bought the first 5 3gal buckets for $100. That has yielded about 425# of ingots. The last time I went in I bought tires & now he is giving me a 3gal bucket each time I come in for oil change or whatever. Before long we won't have any here in Kommiefornia.

armyrat1970
07-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Rockydog if you don't buy lottery tickets you should start. Great find man. Happy for you.

07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Rockydog,

Valuable find. You are well on your way.

My principles forbid me to patronize businesses that I know to be anti-gun.

Nate1778
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I would write a letter to the first place, let them know in a "kind" way why your buisness went elsewhere, not so much he would not sell them, he has every right not to. Just you like to support Pro 2nd locations.

Matt_G
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Congrats on a good find Rockydog.
My wife finds me wheel weights as well.
In fact she just called and said the place that does the company trucks has another 5 gal. bucket full for me.
This will be the fourth bucket from him that she has gotten me.
Cost is a six pack of Becks. :drinks:

RayinNH
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
The symptoms of the sickness are really starting to appear...Ray

Rockydog
07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Well guys I think the luck is continuing. My neighbor across the street came over last night while I was sorting WW on my pick up tailgate to see what I was up to. He said his Father in Law used to be a plumber and had an old propane plumbers furnace that he was looking to sell. Brought it over tonight. This is one of the furnaces with the pot mounted on top of the propane tank. Comes with a pot that looks to be at least 20 pounds with a heavy bail and a pour spout plus a large ladle. Gas tank is the old 20 pound style almost full. Asking $20. I'm thinking that the pot would also work on my turkey fryer stand. Can I use this to smelt and ladle pour? RD

Rooster
07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I'd be all over that deal! A full tank of propane costs $20 anymore. Some of those plumber furnaces are the bee's knees too.

SteelyNirvana
07-18-2009, 12:21 AM
The owner asked what I was going to use them for and I said to cast bullets.

When I inquire about WW I always tell them I have a buddy who fishes down at the coast and I need them because he wants me to make him some fishing weights. Unless you know them well or just get the vibe they don't care what your going to with them, don't mention your using them for making bullets. I can however understand where your coming from though, I wouldn't give a known anti-gunner any of my business either. But if your not having any luck it might be best to keep hush-hush :)

WILCO
07-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Congrats on a good find Rockydog.

Ditto for me Dude!!

armyrat1970
07-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Well guys I think the luck is continuing. My neighbor across the street came over last night while I was sorting WW on my pick up tailgate to see what I was up to. He said his Father in Law used to be a plumber and had an old propane plumbers furnace that he was looking to sell. Brought it over tonight. This is one of the furnaces with the pot mounted on top of the propane tank. Comes with a pot that looks to be at least 20 pounds with a heavy bail and a pour spout plus a large ladle. Gas tank is the old 20 pound style almost full. Asking $20. I'm thinking that the pot would also work on my turkey fryer stand. Can I use this to smelt and ladle pour? RD

Have you bought a Lotto Ticket yet?:)

captaint
07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Funny, I was discussing this very subjuct (WW's) with my wife last nite. I was saying things are getting harder and she says "how about if I take the buckets and talk to these guys". She says "you know women can talk men into more stuff than men can". She's laughing, and I'm like "Hell yes!!!." Go get em. She will too. This woman could sell snow to Eskimo's.
We'll see how she does..... Mike

Matt_G
07-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I bet she does real well Mike. :)

07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
When it comes to explaining why I want the old wheel weights, and though I fish, I'm not about to lie and say that I will be using them to make fishing weights.

In fact, repling that I'll be using them to cast boolits, I discovered that one store owner is a hunter and the manager at another is a shooter (he gets boolits, I get lead).

RayinNH
07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I bet she does real well Mike. :smile:
Especially if she show up in a short skirt with very high heels...Ray

armyrat1970
07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Especially if she show up in a short skirt with very high heels...Ray

Ohh yeah. She'd get every bucket of WWS there for no charge.
Wonder if I could get some free showing up in shorts with my hairy legs?
I do have nice legs by the way.[smilie=l:

RayinNH
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Wonder if I could get some free showing up in shorts with my hairy legs?
I do have nice legs by the way

Maybe. But they won't offer to follow you home and unload those for you as well [smilie=l: