PDA

View Full Version : stupid question?

exile
07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a stupid question. I have been reloading for about 4 or 5 years, but believe it or not have only used Unique powder. I am getting ready to load some .32 H & R mags using Titegroup, Bullseye etc.,. I have a Lee powder measure that I use with a single stage press. It is mounted to a piece of wood with a clamp so that I can turn it completely upside down and empty it out after each use, which I do.

My question is, "Do I need to clean it out more thoroughly before changing powders?" My fear is one powder contaminating another. I am probably being too picky here, but I thought I would ask. Thanks.

exile

RayinNH
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Nope, just empty the hopper and then cycle the lever to the measuring chamber a couple times to be sure that is empty...Ray

07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I always use a towel to wipe the inside of the hopper, whenever I empty it.

exile
07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like it may not be a big deal. Just out of curiosity, when you wipe the hopper out, do you use a paper towel or cloth? I read something somewhere about static electricity being a problem in powder measures. Thanks.

exile

lylejb
07-16-2009, 10:05 PM
as far as "stupid question" NO IT'S NOT!! The only stupid question is the one you SHOULD HAVE asked, but DIDN'T!!:wink:

Please ask any time. There's ton's of experence on here, and many are very willing to help. It's far better to ask, than regret it later.

As far as powder measures, I just dump my powder back in the can, and cycle the handle a few times. I do look inside the hopper to make sure no grains are stuck inside. That's all i do, i've never had a problem.

LB

rvpilot76
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Also, if you find that you're getting powder granules that are wanting to stick inside the mechanism due to static, use a dryer sheet to wipe it out. Gets rid of the static, pronto.

exile
07-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Thanks. Again, great advice, input.

exile

shotman
07-17-2009, 04:46 AM
As you load more and get different powders. some of the new ones are nitro double base and will eat up the plastic hoppers up if you leave it in there for a while. So your system of empty each time is good.

Tom W.
07-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Just as an aside.... Doesn't the Lee measure turn so that the whole reservoir will come off? I do believe that it is one of their selling points....

From the Website....

Rotate the hopper 1/4 turn to shut off the powder flow and the hopper can be lifted off. You can empty the hopper from either end. The valve is also a powder baffle which contributes to the unusual accuracy of this measure.

Jake McCracken
07-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Just as an aside.... Doesn't the Lee measure turn so that the whole reservoir will come off? I do believe that it is one of their selling points....

From the Website....

Rotate the hopper 1/4 turn to shut off the powder flow and the hopper can be lifted off. You can empty the hopper from either end. The valve is also a powder baffle which contributes to the unusual accuracy of this measure.

I was gonna say the same thing. You're right, it does (and works well too I might add)! That is how I empty mine! As far as switching powders I'm with everyone else. I just empty it, cycle the handle until nothin' comes out, then move on to the next powder!

ETA: Definately NOT a stupid question!!!

cajun shooter
07-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Exlie, Please remember one rule in life. There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who don't ask them. Lylejb stated the same but I just had to throw in. My life became so much better when I was taught that. So many of us worry about what the other guy might think if we ask that question. Guess what, the know it alls didn't know untill someone was good enough to teach them also. This forum is loaded with good people who will help you.

exile
07-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks again. I will have to try just lifting off the hopper. I have always emptied the measure every time, don't want sunlight or bugs, dust etc., to contaminate the powder.

exile

JesterGrin_1
07-18-2009, 03:01 AM
It will help if you take cling free that you would use in the dryer and wrap it around the outside of the hopper. Just tape it there and it will help with the problem of powder sticking to the side of the hopper. :)

And glad to hear that you remove the powder after each use. As when I first started not to long ago and did not know about this great forum I messed up BIG TIME lol. I left TightGroup in my RCBS Powder hopper and it melted itself to the inside of the hopper. But I was in luck and feeling like a dummy I put a call into RCBS and even informed them of what I did and asked why. RCBS informed me as to the why lol. And said do not worry we get these calls all the time lol. And sent me a new hopper out right away at no charge. GREAT People at RCBS. :)