PDA

View Full Version : Patching Board

BABore
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I went wild the other day and made up a patching board for myself. Since I'm just starting out, and progressing, I figured I'd move up from my piece of foam rubber on a counter top.

Don't let the mylar stick-on tape fool you. It's half scale. Something that was lying around the shop.

357maximum
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
That is basically how I built mine, but I used some nice maple wood. My "alignment rail" is square...I would have mounted the angled piece so you could use the higher square side to align the boolit nose against it btw.

Good to see you are doing something creative at work and using that big ol desk of yours for a noble purpose.[smilie=1:

Why would a feller keep a half scale ruler around?...whatcha measuring that you want to make it seem 2X longer than it actually is?[smilie=1::kidding:

BABore
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
They line up real good at the base of the angle. Just like a shallow v-block. I figgured the angled surface would be good for laying the tag end of the patch up on. We'll see tonight.

BABore
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Why would a feller keep a half scale ruler around?...whatcha measuring that you want to make it seem 2X longer than it actually is?[smilie=1::kidding:

Left/right ball screw for an axle assy fixture. Iff'in you want, I can get one for your fishin boat. It'll make your fish stories mo-betta. Besides, the rule is mylar. You put it on soft and it'll measure true later on

357maximum
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Ya think Jenny's fish and game boys would buy them measurements? her accountants cannot count right either..so just maybehaps might get away with it.[smilie=1:

Some of us are still young enough that we do not have to wait for things to ..errr stiffen up.:twisted:

Marlin Junky
07-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Bruce,

What's the green material made of? My first patching board was too slick (I tried to follow Matthews' example) and it was difficult to apply my patches consistently. I think I know why Matthews' groups show a flyer here and there. Are you patching .35's with that board?

MJ

BABore
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
The green stuff is 2mm thick craft foam that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. It's a closed cell foam with some give to it. I think they use it for poster board cutouts and that stuff. They had a bunch of colors in both 2 and 3mm thicknesses. The stuff I got was also adhesive backed. Slapped it down an trimmed the edges.

So far I've done 30, 338, 35, 375, and 458 on it. I might put a straight vertical backer on the opposite side. The smaller boolits are harder to deal with on the angled stop. Not so with the bigger ones.

Marlin Junky
07-22-2009, 06:46 PM
The green stuff is 2mm thick craft foam that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. It's a closed cell foam with some give to it. I think they use it for poster board cutouts and that stuff. They had a bunch of colors in both 2 and 3mm thicknesses. The stuff I got was also adhesive backed. Slapped it down an trimmed the edges.

It's waterproof?

MJ

P.S. Has anybody tried using an offset printing press blanket bonded to a slab of plywood?

BABore
07-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Sure, it's plastic closed cell foam. Waterproof as a frog's ****.

Marlin Junky
07-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Bruce... I'll see if I can locate some out here.

MJ

357maximum
07-24-2009, 05:28 AM
DON

Wal of china Mart has the foam in the handy & crafty section....both with/without the sticky back. oddly enough the foam is called "foamies":mrgreen: I bought some after TREERAT suggested it and I like it. I have also found it useful for alot of other things round here. My dad seen it when he was over here removing a stuck case from a die, and stole my black colored piece and made a cheek cusion for his trap gun....worked good............If they made it thicker I would pad the whole man cave with it.:twisted::roll:[smilie=1:

RMulhern
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/th_18498108.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/?action=view&current=18498108.flv)

Nrut
07-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for posting that FPMIII...
Looks like a neat and easy way to wet your patch....What kind of material is that on top of your board?...I hand roll mine but that gets to be a pain with the shorter .30 cal. boolits...

RMulhern
07-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Nrut

Material on board??

A thin piece of leather I have glued there! This appears to be rather slow....but it's not! I was going slow because I didn't want to knock the camera over which was right close to my right shoulder! I can patch up around 60 or so in 40 minutes.