PDA

View Full Version : yeah!!!! new mold

tmak
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Well while at the White Elephant on division today a new Lyman 311299 followed me home. 50/50 wheel weights to pure and water droped them. .309 one way .311 the other. They weigh in at 202grs. I want to shoot it in my grand and I'm asking for loads that have proven records. I also wanted to ask if i sent this off to have it hollow pointed will that make a better shooter. I know it's on here somewhere but its just fun to talk. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi, If your barrel/bore is in top condition you can probably do ok with the .309 version otherwise if the bore is worn .311 might be better. For 311299 37 grains of IMR 4895 will run the action just fine. You might have to tune the load up or down a little to control the grouping. With 311284 which is similar weightwise I used 40 grains of IMR 3031 and it did well. One thing to watch out for with either of these bullets is the seating depth which effects the overall length of the cartridge...that is to have it (the loaded clip) fit in the magazine you may have to seat the bullet bases below the bottom of the case neck. A nuisance for sure with the 284 but a fact of life. Not sure whether you'll run into that with the 299, but both these bullets are long. Don't know for sure if Hollowpointing will make the bullet a better shooter in terms of accuracy, but it will make it more effective for hunting. It will also make it somewhat lighter. When I used to live in North Idaho I used to drive down from Newport and play in the Division Street traffic to shop at White Elephant. Their weird parking lot was a good shortcut for turning around and goin back up to the "Y". Good luck with your Garand and good shooting. LLS

NoDakJak
07-16-2009, 04:37 AM
I was stationed at Fairchild AFB in the early seventies and spent more than a little time at the old White Elephant. I purchased my first Lyman 450 from either them or Yellow Front when I first began casting. Not sure which after all this time. It's hard to believe that was almost forty years ago. Neil

tmak
07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
thank you solitaire thats what i was looking for. the grand in new in the box the ones that springfield made a few years ago so the bore should be in pretty good shape. i think i will send it off and have it hollow pointed i will have one cavity each way.