PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizer problem

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I do things on the cheap, and I only use Lee sizers (at least for now). One of their praise-items is that they allow a boolit to be pushed thru nose first. Here's my problem. On all my Lee push-thrus, at least the ones's that I use with gas-checked boolits, I can't get a boolit thru (with gc on) that actually gets the check on straight and true (snug). I always end up pushing the boolit thru base first to get a good even tight crimp on the check. Then I run it through again nose first to even things out the way they should be. So, I have to send it through twice, when it seems everyone else sends them through once. I don't get it, and I can't believe I'm the only one who's having this issue.

mdi
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Hmmm. I've got four; .429", .430", .432", and .358". Mostly use Hornady gas checks (both .44 and .357) and have not had your problem (the only crooked ones were some Freechex I made with too thin alum.). How does the check fit on the bullet base before attempting to install? Should be a light push-on fit (buy my 429244 Lyman is a little sloppier). How's the base as cast; flat w/no burrs? Maybe measure the base O.D. and the gas check I.D.

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Hmmm. I've got four; .429", .430", .432", and .358". Mostly use Hornady gas checks (both .44 and .357) and have not had your problem (the only crooked ones were some Freechex I made with too thin alum.). How does the check fit on the bullet base before attempting to install? Should be a light push-on fit (buy my 429244 Lyman is a little sloppier). How's the base as cast; flat w/no burrs? Maybe measure the base O.D. and the gas check I.D.

Ok, good questions. I just grabbed a .225 boolit. Gas check shank measures
.214. I use Gator checks, and they measure pretty much right at .214, as well.
When I slip a check over the shank I can freely turn the shank with little or no resistance. I would have to say that it is a "light push on" on some of them where the boolit bases are well-filled out and sharp. I think the fit is fine. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is an LBT mold, btw.

I would have to say that the bases are without burrs.

yondering
07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
When you are pushing them through the die (the first time, nose first) is there any resistance (is the boolit body being sized)? If there is some resistance, the sizer punch should press the check on square. If you are using a die the same dia or larger than your boolits, that may be your problem.

Can't help beyond that, my Lee sizers all seat checks perfectly.

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes, the boolits are being sized down at least .001-.002, depending on which caliber I'm working with.

I wonder if somehow the rod that pushes the boolits isn't big enough in diameter. On those boolits that I tried to size nose-first first, the check had an impression in it from where it was being pushed by the rod, but that impression was not full diameter. And the the check does not fully wrap around the shank uniformally.

Because I'm having this trouble with three different Lee sizers, I would be inclined to think I am doing something wrong. But, I can't see what, as this process is pretty danged simple and hard to screw up, or at least I would think.

StarMetal
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I had the same problem you did. Mine would snag the gas checks. That's why I don't use them and stuck with the RCBS/Lyman type luber sizers. Don't let anyone tell you too that push through base first is going to be more accurate. If you have a good luber/sizer they are accurate also.

The ram pin has to be a hair smaller then the sizing opening. The Lee has sort of a guide in on the die because after all that ram pin is kind of a loose fit in the press ram and may not be dead centered. Check it out and see how much clearance you have on the pin. I doubt that is it though. The one that I had was the only sizer I had available for the size bullet I need and being my bullet had a big flat nose I pushed them through base first, that is with the nose of the bullet on the ram pin. That way my gaschecks looked good and square.

Joe

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I have found that if I don't run the boolits through a second time (nose first), after running them through base first to seat the check, then the checks aren't flat on the bottom. Maybe that doesn't matter, but it's hard to stand a boolite on it's base without falling over. Running them throught the second time makes everything uniform. But, it's a lot of work. Sucks!!

mrbill2
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Your gas checks are flared open too much and won't let the check start in the die. Try to put one in the die to see if it will fit. If it don't fit you'll have to open the die.
My $.02

StarMetal
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe that guide in radius I spoke of isn't smooth enough or something wrong with it not letting the checks crimp on correctly.

Joe

Bret4207
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Is there any crap in the shell holder area that might be holding the rod off center? Is it possible there is a mechanical issue with your press? What kind of press are you using? I'm wondering if it's a "C" type that might be flexing. If it's not that it's possible the flare from the GC is catching. A Dremel stone might flare it a bit more.

StarMetal
07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Is there any crap in the shell holder area that might be holding the rod off center? Is it possible there is a mechanical issue with your press? What kind of press are you using? I'm wondering if it's a "C" type that might be flexing. If it's not that it's possible the flare from the GC is catching. A Dremel stone might flare it a bit more.

.....then followed by a good polishing.

Joe

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Your gas checks are flared open too much and won't let the check start in the die. Try to put one in the die to see if it will fit. If it don't fit you'll have to open the die.
My $.02

Outside diameter of the .22 Gator check are .235. My sizer is .225. Granted, that's .010 difference, but I would think this is normal. Only other possibility, along that line of reasoning, is that the checks are oversized. I doubt that.

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 08:07 PM

The rod is .221. I can run it all the way up into the die without it rubbing, as far as I can tell. It seems to be centered. And I don't see any junk in the shell holder area that would cause any problems.

The press is the one that comes in the Rockchucker kit. It has an "RC IV" on the side of it.

I have already ran some emery cloth through this die to polish it up a bit.

This makes no sense, does it?

StarMetal
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
The rod is .221. I can run it all the way up into the die without it rubbing, as far as I can tell. It seems to be centered. And I don't see any junk in the shell holder area that would cause any problems.

The press is the one that comes in the Rockchucker kit. It has an "RC IV" on the side of it.

I have already ran some emery cloth through this die to polish it up a bit.

This makes no sense, does it?

It's not the part of the sizer that does the sizing that is the problem, it's that radius, or flare Bret mentioned, that sounds like the problem. You need to work on that part, perhaps flare it more in the narrow or small end of it right before that .225 sizing part. Then polish it very smooth. You can use 600 grit automotive wet sanding paper or a felt wheel on a Dremel with jeweler's rouge.

Joe

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Okay, I get it. I'll take a look at it and see what happens.

yondering
07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Maybe that guide in radius I spoke of isn't smooth enough or something wrong with it not letting the checks crimp on correctly.

Joe

Being a Lee die, that's very likely. I love em, but they all need some polishing work.

One other possibility, when you start to push the boolit in the die nose first, does the sizer punch lean off to one side? It may be trying to force the check off to one side during the sizing process. Check where the sizing punch and shellholders attach to your ram, make sure it's real clean with no burrs or debris in there.