PDA

View Full Version : Paper patch templates - high volume patch making

yondering
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
This may be common practice for some of you experienced paper patch guys, but it wasn't obvious to me from reading this forum, so I'll post this here, hopefully it will be helpful:

One of the most time consuming parts of paper patching, for me, has been cutting out the individual patches. I made myself a brass template, which helps, but still isn't the most efficient. With efficiency in mind, I used a CAD program on my computer to make up a patch template, which can be printed out on any 8.5x11" paper. I print as many sheets as I need, and cut them out using the paper cutter. I can get a few hundred patches made in about 10 minutes work this way.

I also added a thin grey line on the patches, to line up the base of my bullet to. I felt that I wasn't getting consistent patch lengths by trying to eyeball the nose ogive.

Below is the patch pattern I made up for my 35 Whelen, using my Saeco 352 mold. I wanted to upload it in a MS Word document, to share with whomever might want it, but the file size limits on this forum won't let me, and photobucket doesn't do document files, so here it is in an image. This is printed out full size to give me 24 patches from one sheet of paper.

If anyone else here wants a pattern like this, I can make one for you. Just let me know dimensions of your patch, and I'll email you a pattern.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/molds/paperpatch358.jpg

docone31
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
What I do,
I have these plastic venetian blinds. Our cats like to go through the blinds. Where they exit, they break off the ends. Those ends are slightly wider than 1". Perfect for my patch makeing needs.
I cut the piece of blind to length, then cut 45* ends. I lay my strip in the piece, and cut it off. That is my template.
As they are so inexpensive relatively, I can adjust the length as I wrap if the wrap is too long. I merely snip off some untill my ends match up.
I have one made up or the 1 3/16" cut, and the longer three wrap cut.
Works for me.

303Guy
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Neat idea! How do we calibrate our printers to your DWG?

pdawg_shooter
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
A template is only good till you change paper. A different supply will give you different stretch and you will need a different template. Too much work for me. I staple 10 sheets together, lay out my length with a dividers, and cut on a paper cutter.

jvg5576
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I've been experimenting with PP and came up with the exact same method for designing patches.

I've attempted to attach an example PDF of one of my templates. The PDF was printed using Free PDF (google search). You might also try CutePDF. Both can be used as a system printer in XP and Vista.

yondering
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Neat idea! How do we calibrate our printers to your DWG?

No calibration required; if I copy the drawing into a single page MS Word document, you can just print it out actual size (8.5x11" standard paper size). I can print straight from my drawing program, but that won't work for most folks.

The picture above should be correct if printed to actual size too, if anybody wants to use it for a .358" boolit.

I'll have to check out the .pdf writer, that would be useful.

RMulhern
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been using my printer a couple of years now to make the patches. Works excellent.

Here's something you might find interesting:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/th_18498108.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/?action=view&current=18498108.flv)

Don McDowell
07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Want to speed your patch cutting? Simple get one of the slider paper cutters from the nearest hobby shop, trace your patch onto the cutter board. Cut the paper into the proper width strips. Stack them about 3 or 4 strips deep , line them up with the template on the cutter board and geter done.:drinks:

Treetop
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice video, FPMIII, that really answered a lot of the procedural questions that I had. Thanks for sharing it. I'm really thinking about trying this, I have several hundred pounds of pure lead "Lyman" ingots laying around. I think this would be a good way to shoot them up!

303Guy
07-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Interesting, the variations in method. I suppose it comes down to what tickles ones fancy!

No calibration required; if I copy the drawing into a single page MS Word document, you can just print it out actual size (8.5x11" standard paper size).That's good to know. (Some parts of the world use A4 paper)[smilie=1:. I have a CAD package so I can draw my own. My patches only have two parallel sides - the boolit is tapered.

However, since I have a device I made for cutting paper hand towel strips for seating j-words in my hornet, I simply cut my paper into strips using the lines, then cut the length and angle on this device thingy.

montana_charlie
07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I made up a rough template (pen and ruler) back when I saw a thread similar to this one on the Shiloh forum. I haven't made a 'pretty one' yet because I'm, still trying to figure out how to get it to scan and print right with my all-in-one printer. You see, the unit doesn't expect to be using legal size paper, but that is what my patching paper is.

Anyway, the main difference between mine and the submissions above is how it's laid out on the paper.

I have my strips laid out like everybody else, but my angle cuts are positioned to make as few cuts as possible to form the ends of the individual patches.

Once I get my printer figured out, I will jump on that suggestion about pre-printing a mark to set the paper on the ogive consistently.

Here's mine...the spaces with 'X's' are those patches that are incompletely formed.

303Guy
07-18-2009, 04:22 AM
There's a problem with that concept. When you start cutting in one direction, the strips separate and ....

montana_charlie
07-18-2009, 11:04 AM
There's a problem with that concept. When you start cutting in one direction, the strips separate and ....
I see you caught on. No matter how you lay them out, it comes down to giving each patch a certain amount of individual attention.

But, my pattern does make it easier to draw the template if you are doing it by hand.
CM

45 2.1
07-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I cut my paper longways into 7 equal strips useing a paper cutter. Five sheets at a time and staple one end. The patch template is placed on the free end and five patches at a time are cut. Very little left over too.

303Guy
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I see you caught on.
Actually, I went down that route too! :mrgreen: But is easier to draw. [smilie=1:

yondering
07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I cut my paper longways into 7 equal strips useing a paper cutter. Five sheets at a time and staple one end. The patch template is placed on the free end and five patches at a time are cut. Very little left over too.

That's what I do too, only I don't have to use a template, since the pattern is printed on the paper. I haven't tried 5 sheets at a time though; once they are in the 7 strips and stacked together, that's 35 layers of paper! I assume my paper cutter would do it, but I might have to try a stronger one.

montana_charlie
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Cutting strips from the long dimension of the sheet may be more efficient in paper useage...less waste. But the grain runs lengthwise in my paper, so strips must be cut crosswise...
CM