PDA

View Full Version : talk up lead

corvette8n
07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I was talking to one of the maintenance workers in our building about lead, he said he had some that was used in a race car for ballast, sure enough this morrning in my office was 50lbs or so of lead on the floor. I later saw the maintenance guy and asked him how much I owed him, he said, thats ok you don't owe me anything.
You never know who has lead stored for one reason or another.

Springfield
07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
My Chiropractor gave me about 25 lbs, left over from when he was a Police Officer and he was thinking about casting his own, but never started.

theperfessor
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I let my students know I cast bullets and I am always looking for lead. Every so often somebody will bring in a chunk or a bucketful. I always pay going scrap rate to keep things ethical.

A while back a retired faculty member sold me 180 lbs of lead when he got out of lead soldier business. Reason? He didn't want to face liability issues from selling "toys" made from lead.

sqlbullet
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
That's how it worked for me. Riding to a gun show with a friend, mentioned that if I had a scrap lead source, I would cast.

He reminded me he is a nuclear pharmicist, and now I have 3000 lbs of lead that is just like WW in my garage + another 1000 lbs of pure lead. I pay well below current scrap prices, but what they ask for.

lead-1
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
When my dad raced stock cars he had 50-100 pounds that got moved around on the car to change the handling. He used a small block Chevy valve cover for a mold.

AZ-Stew
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
He used a small block Chevy valve cover for a mold.

That's some ingot mould!

Regards,

Stew

BarryinIN
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
He used a small block Chevy valve cover for a mold.
A club I belonged to when I lived near Chicago had a "club Ransom Rest" with inserts for the common .22 pistols. About once a year, they would dig it out and hold a Ransom Rest Night where people could bring their .22 pistols and have them checked on the rest.
They had the rest screwed to plywood, and weighted that down with ingots made from SB Chevy valve covers. I don't remember why it wasn't just clamped down, but that's how they did it.

I've thought about those big ol' ingots often since I started casting.