PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hornet ??'s

BABore
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm looking at a Browning Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet that is owned by a good friend. The rifle is supposed to be a sweet shooter and I will get to try it out this weekend. In my research I have seen a common subject come up on the variation of size of the 22 Hornet's chamber. I had my buddy measure the neck OD of a loaded round, and one fired from a full powered load. They were; 0.239 loaded, and 0.245 fired. Is this an overly large chamber, or more normal? He just neck sizes his brass and hasn't had any case problems to speak off.

StarMetal
07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm looking at a Browning Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet that is owned by a good friend. The rifle is supposed to be a sweet shooter and I will get to try it out this weekend. In my research I have seen a common subject come up on the variation of size of the 22 Hornet's chamber. I had my buddy measure the neck OD of a loaded round, and one fired from a full powered load. They were; 0.239 loaded, and 0.245 fired. Is this an overly large chamber, or more normal? He just neck sizes his brass and hasn't had any case problems to speak off.

Bruce,

I have a CZ in 22 Hornet and it is one of the most accurate rifles I've owned. I've been shooting it now for about 15 years and I neck size my brass only with the Lee collet type neck sizer and haven't lost one piece of brass yet. As good as my rifle shoots I would never never ever chamber it to the K Hornet. I've heard all the horror stories too and I'm still up in the air about them. It's about time you picked up a pea shooter instead of those Naval cannons you keep shooting! :drinks:

Joe

felix
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
If that is a fired case and measured correctly without bending the case, then your chamber is likely to be .247. That would be too much for the best accuracy out of that gun assuming everything else right on. Ideally, you would want only 0.001 max clearance between a loaded round and the chamber. But, because cases are not turned, you might get a few cases with a much lower clearance. With that gun, however, you are clearly out of any kind of danger zone. Use the biggest boolit you can make and go for it. 22 BR guns are normally cut for a 246 neck, some for a 244 neck, and require neck turning for their respective brass. Hornet brass is notoriously thin to begin with. ... felix

StarMetal
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
If that is a fired case and measured correctly without bending the case, then your chamber is likely to be .247. That would be too much for the best accuracy out of that gun assuming everything else right on. Ideally, you would want only 0.001 max clearance between a loaded round and the chamber. But, because cases are not turned, you might get a few cases with a much lower clearance. With that gun, however, you are clearly out of any kind of danger zone. Use the biggest boolit you can make and go for it. 22 BR guns are normally cut for a 246 neck, some for a 244 neck, and require neck turning for their respective brass. Hornet brass is notoriously thin to begin with. ... felix

Felix,

Everything else must be right with my CZ. I has a 24 inch long thing sporter barrel from CZ with a CZ fiberglass stock. I took a load that old Bob Forker wrote in G&A which was with Win 296 with a Hornaday A-Max bullet. I use the Lee neck collet die and my best group with it is five in one nice round 3/8 inch hole...consistantly. I quit there and it's my go to rifle for little critters and crows. I now shoot cast out of it as I'm not going to beat that group nor do I want too. I'm getting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups consistently with the NEI 55 gr Loverin style cast bullet. So I'd say with a "sloppy" neck and factory sporter my rifle shoots darn good...wouldn't you?

Joe

felix
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Plenty good enough, Joe, for the purpose. Besides, your gun's neck might be considerably tighter than the one on the Browning. Perhaps, lucky on the draw. Looks like you have a 14 twist in that gun. ... felix

StarMetal
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Plenty good enough, Joe, for the purpose. Besides, your gun's neck might be considerably tighter than the one on the Browning. Perhaps, lucky on the draw. Looks like you have a 14 twist in that gun. ... felix

I miked my fired cases for BaBore and mine come out .244 I go by feel because as you said you can crush the thin necks easy with a mic.

I'm not sure what the twist is on it, but will tell you something I though interesting. For being a new modern Hornet it doesn't have a .224 groove. The dang thing is .221!!!!

Yeah, I'm not going to change anything on this rifle. Like I said there's no way in the world I would ever ream it for the K-Hornet.

Joe

roadie
07-14-2009, 04:30 PM
StarMetal,
My .22 Squirrel has a .217 bore and .221 groove. The barrel is a 14" twist, was a takeoff Winchester, nickel steel no idea of the year, but oldish. The chamber was screwed, so I shortened it and fitted it to a Brno .22 trainer. Makes a sweet Boy's rifle.

roadie

StarMetal
08-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Felix,

Measured the twist on my CZ Hornet today and it's a 16, not 14.

Joe

felix
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
That would be typical, Joe, until proven otherwise. ... felix

StarMetal
08-02-2009, 01:38 AM
That would be typical, Joe, until proven otherwise. ... felix

So why would you say it looked like it had a 14 twist:confused:
Because it shoots the 55 gr bullet so well?

Joe

BABore
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
What is your load for that 55 gr cast?

StarMetal
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
What is your load for that 55 gr cast?

10 grains of H4198 and/or 11 grains of 4227. The H4198 shoots the best of the two.

Joe

Larry Gibson
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I use new WW cases in my Savage M40; loaded with .224 bullets they measure .241 and fired .243. I use RP cases in my TC Contender Carbine; loaded with .224 bullets they measure .240 and fired .244. The M40 is a 1/2 moa rifle and the Contender is a 3/4 moa rifle both with Hornady 45 gr Hornet SPs over Lilgun. I also neck size the cases with a Redding bushing die.

Larry Gibson