PDA

View Full Version : Biggest disappointment in a gun?

jim4065
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I tend to dump the guns that I don't like - usually at a loss, but what the hell..........

My biggest dissapointment was a nickle plated High Standard Sentinel MkIV in .22 Magnum. Put it on lay-away when I really couldn't afford a new gun, then paid it out (very) slowly while I was on the GI Bill. I wanted that revolver so bad - it was going to be my "woods-bumming" gun. The first time I got it home, the miserable thing would only fire two to three shots out of each cylinder full, and it had the sheer gall to start rusting overnight. Traded it for a Nylon 66 and never regretted it. [smilie=b:

BCB
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
TCR 87 in 22-250…

It had the 26” bull barrel and I had it topped with a 12x Burris (I think, but it was good optics whatever it was)…

1.25” group at 100 yards was the best and case separation was the rule not the exception…

T/C gave me another barrel and it was the same and did the same thing…

I now wish I would have put a 223 bull barrel on it, but I made an irrational decision since I was so disappointed and angered…

BCB

76 WARLOCK
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Mine is a S&W 44 mountain pistol, bought it twenty years ago from a deputy sheriff. Just recently started to shoot it and found that with the sights all the way to the right the gun still shoots 6" to the left at 25 yards. It also leads only on the rh side of the barrel for the first 1" of the barrel.

Trey45
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I bought a Beretta PX4 Storm type G in 40SW, had to special order the thing because all the gunshop that I deal with had was either a PX4 type F 40SW, or a PX4 type G in 45acp. Paid for it all up front and had to wait a few days for it to come in. So it comes in and I take it home to take it down and clean, inspect and oil it. Next day rolls around and I go shoot it, the decocking lever started sticking when I decocked it, it's supposed to decock and snap right back up, well it didn't, and after a while it just stopped working all together. Had to send it back to Beretta for warranty, they shipped it back and included to high cap mags for the inconvenience. It has begun to develope the exact same problem again, the decocking lever is beginning to stick again, not as bad as before, but I have a bad feeling of what's going to happen next. It's disappointing because my new pistol ain't doing what it's sposed to do! It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't order it specifically for decock only, I bought it to practice double action semi-auto shooting with, and still have the single action for when I wanted/needed it. I guess I should have bought a Beretta 96 D and just been happy with DAO.

Pepe Ray
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
My disappointment was from a Smith & Wesson also.
I forget the model #.
It was a 3" st-st J frame in .22WMR. My buddy and I shared the purchase price and a case of ammo with high hopes. I've owned 44mags ,454Casulls .480 and 475 Linebauge but I've never been punished till I put 2 cylinder fulls thru this one.
The concussion of the report was just like being slapped in the chops by a really P.O 'ed woman. Was sick to my stomach and a head ache with 12 rounds.
Passed it to my chum and said "Have I got a deal for you."
Call me a wooss, it's OK.
Pepe Ray

AZ-Stew
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I've had a couple. First was a Ruger M-77 Varmint in .25-06. It shot OK, but it wasn't the barn burner I had expected. In addition I had to shim those wonderful Ruger scope rings that came with the rifle to get it to shoot on paper at 100 yds. Ruger bolt actions are off my list.

The second was a Weatherby Vanguard I bought at the Weatherby store in CA back in the 70s. Each year they had a clearance sale with some pretty good "bargains" (for Weatherby). This was a sporter-weight .25-06, and it didn't shoot well, either. At least the scope aligned with the barrel on this one. I sold it and bought a Remington 700 sporter in .25-06 that outshot both the Ruger and the Weatherby, with far less load development.

Regards,

Stew

bruce drake
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
In 1992, I bought a first year production of the Colt 1991 version of their 1911 and during my first disassembly of the pistol, the plunger tube flew right off as I removed the slide from the frame. The plunger tube had never been staked down properly. Took it back to the dealer who stated, "I never seen that happen before...". In-house gunsmith staked the tube back on but it never shot as well as my old 1927 Systema Argentina Colt 1911. FTF, FTE, huge groups. Everything that you wouldn't expect from a new pistol. My Systema would rattle if you shook it but shot good 3" groups at 15 yards any day of the week with 230gr hardball.

Sold the Colt to a fellow soldier before I left Ft. Campbell in 2002. He shoots it like once a year on the 4th. A $500 firecracker.

Bruce

44mag1
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Howa 6.5x55, wouldent shoot no matter what load I tried, Howa took it back and sent me a 7mm-08 and that one shot great.

Doble Troble
07-13-2009, 05:00 PM
A brand spanking new Kahr K9.

I didn't notice the bunged-up chamber until I got it home. The reamer that cut it was burred. It FTE'd every mag. Cases that did somehow manage to eject had ridges. I contacted Kahr about the problem, got a call back, admitted I shot handloads and the scored chamber became my fault. They weren't even interested in the two cases in the manila envelope that came with it.

No Kahr, no more.

SWIAFB
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Early 80's Ruger Mini 14. It would not keep five rounds on an 8 by 11 piece of paper. But very happy with stainless super single six, security six, old army, early model 20 gauge o/u and 77/22h. SWIAFB

pdawg_shooter
07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
A Ruger, any Ruger, All Rugers. I was a dealer for over 20 years and I sent more Rugers back to the factory than all else combined.

SWIAFB
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I must of got lucky on the 77/22H, all the rest are over 25 years old. SWIAFB

The Double D
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Mine is a S&W 44 mountain pistol, bought it twenty years ago from a deputy sheriff. Just recently started to shoot it and found that with the sights all the way to the right the gun still shoots 6" to the left at 25 yards. It also leads only on the rh side of the barrel for the first 1" of the barrel.

Send to Smith and Wesson and get it fixed. This sound mechanical.

Lead Fred
07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Mossberg 500 bullpup

it rattled like a spay paint can, and we so loose I had to remachine all the working parts to get it to stop making so much noise.

DLCTEX
07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I got an old Stevens Pump 22 in a trade when I was a teen ager, don't know the model, but it had a hammer. I repaired the feed problem that caused it to be traded, then found the barrel was totally a piece of pipe. You could actually hear the bullet flip through the air. Steve McQueen was the Bounty Hunter on TV and had a 30-30 cut down into a pistol. I shortened the barrel and stock and made a holster for it. Didn't help the accuracy, but caught the eye of another teen that gave me a very nice profit on it. It was a couple years before I found that it was illegal. Hope 50 yrs. is past the statute of limitations. If not, this was just a tall tale.:mrgreen:

357maximum
07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Winchester 100 in 308 adequately accurate enough for deer with j-words, when it fed and when it fired. I tinkered with it, my smith tinkered with it..then I sent it packin.

AZ-Stew
07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
You're safe, Dale. Texans are renowned for their tall tales.

Regards,

Stew

parson48
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Bought a Ruger gp100 in the mid 90s. After 2 trips back to the factory it still would not shoot better than an 8" group off of a bench at 25 yards.

I eventually gave it to a fellow who wanted it for home defense in close quarters.

I've Rugers that were good firearms, but this one was a real lemon.

parson48

sargenv
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
A Mark 1 Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag.. and likely I was partly at fault.. with it's pencil thin barrel, anything over a few rounds and it heated up so bad that it wouldn't group for anything. I sold it and bought the rifle I should have bought in the first place, a heavy barreled 700 Varmint in .308 Win. I still have it.. and it still shoots well.

wallenba
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know if it qualifies because it was quite old and used. I bought a 9MM Polish Radom that had Waffenfabrik markings. It would not digest anything. It never hit the same place twice in a row, I mean all over the map. I figure that maybe it was built with forced labor workers that made it that way on purpose. Traded it, and cash, for a Browning HP.

Heavy lead
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Winchester 70 stainless .338 Win Mag, after 600 and some rounds gave up, rebarreled to a .257 Weatherby, bought a Remington Sendero .338 Ultra and never looked back.
Winchester 70 blue/walnut 7mm STW, after some 800 rounds and several bedding jobs sold it never did get the *** to shoot.
Winchester 70 Featherweight 7x57, beautiful rifle, but one poor performer, it is now a .338-06
Winchester 70 DBM .284 Winchester, after new bottom metal and a new stock (original warped so bad it touched the barrel on one end and put pressure on the other) it shoots, I still have it.
Ruger 77 .257 Roberts, simply a piece of junk like above.
I only buy Remington, Kimber and certain Weatherby rifles now, or a good Mauser or Springfield, or build them.

RU shooter
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
70's LW Colt Commander, I was working a job in Towanda NY walked into a gun shop and found a minty commander ,At the time and after reading to many gun rags on them,I thought it was the cats meow ,Paid the man and had him send it to my FFL in Pa. Finally get to shoot the thing and 6" at 25 yds is all the better this lemon would do after trying 15 different factory loads and about every handload I could dream of. And it kicked twice as much with that little grip safety as my P90 ,Oh and did I mention IT WAS A "JAM O MATIC"! Sold it off to another guy that was just tickled to death to be the owner of such a highly regarded weapon by all the expert armchair gunslingers. That expensive lesson has kept me from ever owning another 1911 since

fatoldfool
07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
My biggest disappointment was a custom Win High-wall in .225 Winchester. 3 inch groups at 100 yd with an occasional 2 1/2 in. group was normal. Long GONE! Memory says the next was a Nitexed Colt Commander (70s) shot like the one above, about 8 in. at 25 yds. It always fired, but I was used to 2 in. or so off the bags.

yondering
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Recently it was a Beretta 96 Elite II for me. Sweet looking gun, and the action was smooth as glass, barrel looked good, so I bought it. The stupid thing wouldn't do better than 4" at 15 yards. I tinkered with it and got it to shoot good, tightened the barrel fit, sweet trigger job, etc, but recoil with light .40 S&W loads was still as snappy as full power 10mm in my Witness. Sold it and bought a Para P16-40 Limited with three 20 round mags for the same money, way nicer gun to shoot, and it can actually hit something. Never wanted that Beretta back.

Marvin S
07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Auto Ordinance 45acp 1911. Slide must have been miss milled, it would drop about every other case back into the gun and jam. I tried new extractors and all sorts of things. Traded it for a Star PD which was a heck of a gun.

870TC
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Colt 1911A1 commander series 80. Bought it new, thought I would carry it. At 25 feet, with factory 230 ball, if you aimed at the top of a 8.5 X 11" sheet of paper you could get most of the group on the bottom edge of the paper. Sent it back to Colt, came back with a note "tightened slide", dang right they did....you could see the cross hatch marks from the vice jaws on both sides of the slide and now the front sight was loose. Back to Colt for another try, they buffed the heck out of the slide and dragged out the lettering while re-blueing it, then gave it to some 3 year old to peen the underside of the front sight with a broken screwdriver. Took it to the range and man did it group tight, to bad the groups were 9" low at 25 feet. Took it home re-tightened the sight, as it came loose again after one magazine and sold it. Have not bought another new Colt product since.

AZ-Stew
07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Forgot a couple...

I bought a Winchester post-64 M-70 through the ships' store for just over $100. Heavy barreled .22-250. I worked with that SOB for MONTHS trying to get it to shoot. Trigger job, glass bedding, free floating. Everything I could think of. Then I went to my local dealer and bought $85 worth of components (1974 prices), powders, primers, cases, bullets and FINALLY found ONE load it would shoot. And it did really well with it. But it was WAY too much work for the reward.

My son bought a Kimber/Daewoo .40 S&W pistol that would jam on one round out of each magazine full. We sent it to Kimber Oregon, it disappeared from UPS tracking and miraculously re-appeared in Yonkers. They kept it for 2-3 weeks and sent it back with the original magazines claiming it "performed to spec". We sold it at a gun show and he bought a S&W .40 pistol that worked perfectly. When the NRA show was in town a couple of months ago I stopped by the Kimber booth and told the guy there my story about the pistol and asked him what has changed with the company since then that would make me want to buy a new Kimber. He couldn't give me an answer, so Kimber will never get another $ from me. If the company rep can't promote his own product, there's something wrong.

Regards,

Stew

S.R.Custom
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Pretty much anything that's worn the name "Taurus" has tested my anger management skills.

44mag1
07-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I forgot about my springfield GI 45, are 8" groups at 25 yards good? I didnt think so either.

clong
07-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Colt 2000, jammed on every type of ammo I tried. Not hit or miss jammed. Jammed every round. And could not consistantly hit a 10 inch circle at 7 yards. My buddy and I each bought one at the same time. His would cycle anything and would keep a 10 inch circle at 25 yards.

MT Gianni
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
The Ruger P-89 I had would test my patience with small teases, then go back to 5-6" @25 yards. Long gone and the CZ-85 is a lot nicer in a 9mm.

Mumblypeg
07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Colt SA. Bought a Colt Peacemaker .22 in 1974. Beautiful little gun. It felt good in the hand, always fired but you couldn't hit hardly a thing you aimed at. Gave it to an old girlfrind cause she liked it... Then there was a 3rd generation SAA, 6in. in .44spl. I never could get that thing to shoot worth a hoot, traded it for a Ruger#1 in 30-06 that I have slayed numerus beast with. I do now have a Colt Cowboy in .45 that shoots good but I was realy wondering about those SA there for a while. BTW, the peacemaker was replaced with an old model Ruger Single Six that is a shooter. Also had a Winchester model 70 Varmit in .223 that wouldn't act right but have a featherweight in .243 that shoots one hole groups. Go figger... I guess they are like cars, good and bad from the same makes.

redneckdan
07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
I forgot about my springfield GI 45, are 8" groups at 25 yards good? I didnt think so either.

With those GI issue style sights, not too bad.

My biggest dissapointment was a glock 22. Shot okay with FMJs but not even as well as most glocks. Cast was potintless, I honestly couldn't hit a piece of notebook paper at 10yds with any of the cast loads I tried.

gnoahhh
07-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Back about 20 years ago or so, I bought a Stevens 44 .22LR with the intention of building a .22 for offhand events. The rifling looked awfully shallow. I figured it was pretty well worn. Stuck a 20x Unertl on the existing blocks, for accuracy testing. It shot eye-popping small groups, but bulged cases terribly. A few even burst. Not wanting to get into having the action rebuilt, I horse traded it for a dandy Colt Police Positive Special in .32 Long. The new owner informed me later that it was a Stevens-Pope. My disappointment in the gun turned into massive self hatred for being so stupid! (In my buddy's defense, he didn't know it was a Pope barreled gun either. Found out from a third party.)

I now make it a point to examine the rifling of every single shot I come across, hoping against all hope to stumble onto another Pope "sleeper."

Echo
07-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Right now it is a Walther P-1 (P-38 w/alloy frame) that I bought in a fit of dumbness at a gun show a few months ago. Feeds like a champ (I haven't shot any ball, only nice HL's w-402 boolits sized to .358) and is fairly well-mannered, but won't do better than about 8" group @ 25 yards. My near-74 eyes (come Saturday) might have something to do with it, but it ought to do better than that, and will be on the block SOON!

cajun shooter
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Tarus Thunder, copy of Colt Lighting. Bought it for CAS and it would never fire 10 rounds without a failure that locked up the gun. Sent it to Factory 3 times and finally demanded my money be refunded. Took 10 months to receive money. Have other Taurus products that work very well.

armyrat1970
07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
It's amazing. Look at all of the different brand names mentioned here. You would think they would be all fine shooting weapons. Goes to show. Anyone can make a lemon at some time and they ain't all they are cracked up to be.

felix
07-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Would it be different if the persons who made and verified the gun signed their names on the piece to be delivered? I should think so. ... felix

redneckdan
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Thats when I wanted a really good axe I got a gransfors bruks. The smith marks the ax head with his mark when he is satisfied that the head is completed. They are truely a work of art that must be seen to be appreciated.

wallenba
07-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah, I also had an Interarms 44 mag Virginia Dragoon. The cylinder was so poorly machined ( cutting tool left annular grooves in each chamber ) that the expanded cases had to be punched out of the cylinder with a punch and hammer ruining the brass. My dealer took it back without hesitating.

hamour
07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Ruger mini 14! Most in accurate rifle I ever owned and got rid of!

dukenukum
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
My .45 cal flint lock from traditions , gun never did work right even after three times back to manufacturer and several visits to a local gun smith it went bye bye real soon after that .

2shot
07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
A Ruger, any Ruger, All Rugers.

Those Ruger's plus my Charter Arms .44 Bulldog that I bought in I think 1978 when they first came out. Ruger has been the biggest disapoitment in both rifle and handgun.

2shot

oldfart1956
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Hmmm..? Winchester Model 250. Remember those? Nice little 22cal lever action that I worked my **** off all summer long baling hay, mowing lawns and shingeling roofs to purchase at the tender age of 17. After shooting a box of shells the trigger pull went up to 20lbs. !! ***? Took it back to Grices Gun Shop in Clearfield, Pa. where I bought it. They said.."Tough..it's a cheap gun we can't fix it." Never bought another Winchester and never bought from Grices again. Good riddance to both. Audie..the bitter oldfart.

lead-1
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Browning Citori, that thing would beat me to death trying to shoot 50 clay birds. I felt like I went 12 rounds with Ali after shooting that thing so down the road it went. I didn't fit me and I couldn't bring myself to have such a fine piece of wood cut down to fit just me.

Geraldo
07-14-2009, 06:46 PM
.44 magnum Colt Anaconda. The rear face of the cylinder wasn't machined square, so it bound up on three chambers. I also realized that the barrel hadn't been turned quite far enough, which caused rear sight adjustment issues. I sent back to Colt and it was returned in the same condition. I had a friendly machinist face the cylinder for free, which fixed that, but that didn't help the barrel. In the end I traded it off and wasn't sorry.

chaos
07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
...nevermind...

legend
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
i have two...

a ruger 30 carbine blackhawk;'the chambers in the cylinder were all cut a different length,most rub the case on the recoil shield,it also had a huge bump in the recoil shield(from the casting process)so that primers dragged on it.i stoned it off.now i just use 32-20s THANKS BEAGLE !

second was a browning BPS trap gun,it just would not make it through a tournament without breaking down...several trips back to browning was enough for me.

waksupi
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
My .45 cal flint lock from traditions , gun never did work right even after three times back to manufacturer and several visits to a local gun smith it went bye bye real soon after that .

There are no commercially available flintlock rifles that worth a hoot.

lylejb
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
ruger P85. bought it used about a year after it came out. Looked great, not a scratch on it, had really nice wood grips on it, extra mag, matching gun rug, looked like it was barely fired, and was only a little over half price of new. WOW, what a deal. i owned it 4 days. i bought it on a friday, took it to the range SAT. about 2 foot groups (and i use that term very loosly) at 25yds. It looked like i was shooting buckshot. At the time, i cound hold 3 - 4 inchs with my 629 at 25yds. i returned it that monday!!

i bought a new colt 1991 shortly after they came out. The front site fell off while shooting the first box!! "Staked in" my ****. Anyway i didn't want to wait to send it back to colt, so i had a local smith put sites on it, and tighten it up a bit. still have this gun, and it has become one of my favorites.

LB

Gee_Wizz01
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine was Winchester Model 270 pump 22. It was my first .22 and I saved up for a year and a half to buy a .22. I wanted a Marlin 39A, but the guy in the gun shop talked me into the Winchester. At first it shot pretty good, and I bought a scope to put on it and all of a sudden I couldn't hit anything. The gun couldn't keep 10 rounds on a sheet of notebook paper at 30 yds. My Uncle looked at it and found the barrel was loose. It had a barrel nut that had backed off. We took it to the gun shop and the smith tightened it up and it worked great for about 4 months and loosened up again. My dad tightened it up and put lock tite on it and it lasted for another year. I finally took it to Oshmans and traded it in on a Browning Auto. They gave me exactly what I payed for the gun on the trade in. The Browning was a sweet gun.

G

jhrosier
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
A Dan Wesson (Monson) revolver, blueprinted by DW R&D dept.
It really didn't shoot any better than a stock Ruger Security-Six.
It would also get out of time and bind up after about 1000 rounds.
After the third trip back to the factory for rebuild, It got traded for another Ruger.
No regrets on the trade.

For years I wished that Ruger would buy DW just for the interchangeable barrel design. A GP100 with interchangeable barrels would be sweet.

Jack

jlchucker
07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Without a doubt, the very worst *** firearm that I ever bought was an H&R Classic Target model in 38-55. After a seemingly endless amount of tinkering and load experimentation, I never could get this damned thing to stop keyholing the occasional shot. Many posters had written about similar problems and recommended remachining chambers to achieve acceptable results. I draw the line at remachining something that a manufacturer should have done in the first place. I was glad to get rid of this object to someone who wanted it primarily for its looks.

ronterry
07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
CZ 2075 RAMI in 40S&W: I've put more time in this firearm than I care to admit. Was admittedly designed for ball ammo, and not hollow points. Horrible trigger, and ridiculously long reset. For a compact, it's way to fat to wear comfortably, and way to unreliable to be considered a CCW. It's a cute looking gun, but the S&W3913 is far superior in every respect, or even the Glock thin frame if thats your cup of coffee!!!

Kahr 1928: Yet another gun that took an ungodly amount of time to make function. No good for Lead, since the blow back design is pretty hard on keeping the bullets from setting-back. Luckily the barrel is pretty strong, cause I've shot a few that where clearly over pressured due to set-back! -> pow-pow-jam-pow-pow-boom-pow-jam-pow-jam-broken extractor!
The recoil springs are insane (ladies need not apply!) to charge the weapon, the furniture is half rate on the fit, the drums are useless, the trigger sucks, screws on the sites fall out (Need to weld, cause they're to short for locktite to work), and you have to cut up good mil-sup mags to use in this ***.
I wish I had lost my grand in three card monte, then this ***!!!
Two pages on bad guns and Kahr has made it in a couple of times already? F'in Weegers!

Early Glock 29's had issues with frames cracking with NORMAL 10mm loads. Glock admitted to me on the phone that the G29 was designed for current production 10mm Lites.
I cracked TWO before I had to pay a hundred bucks to upgrade to the newer frame design. The jerks even threaten me to send my gun to Austria for powder analysis, and I would never see my gun again cause I didn't admit to using handloads.

Both early frames cracked with less than three hundred rounds... 11grs 800x / 155gr Plated.
The upgraded black frame had NO issues?
http://www.ronterry.com/images/G29Crack.jpg
http://www.ronterry.com/images/G29R2.jpg
Your millage might also vary with older Glock 30's and +P's, cause I've talked to a few folks that cracked those and my advise was to ask for the newer design when they RMA it.

I had a few 1911 that wouldn't shoot out of the box, but an hour of fitting and tuning they would shoot fine. It's sort of a right of passage with 1911's :)

Out of all the guns I have, those are the ones that stand out...and I've got a little of everything...

pumpguy
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Has to be my beloved Marlin 39M. It simply will not shoot better than 3" groups at 50 yards. I can take the 39A and shoot into the holes left on the paper by the 39M. I should get rid of it, but, for no good reason, I still love it.

Kskybroom
07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Ruger st m77 heavy bl 243 Varmits would laugh at me

DLCTEX
07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Ruger st m77 heavy bl 243 Varmits would laugh at me

A local fellow here had the same experience with that same model and caliber. Didn't take him long to send it along.

ddeaton
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a Wilson 9mm carry pistol, I cant even remember what model it is. It is plastic frame, night sights, a lot of bells and whistles. I had a moment of weakness at a gun show and paid way too much. I dont like it at all. I will make someone a good deal if they want it. Nothing wrong with it, just paid too much for the Wilson name.

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
S&W Sigma in .40 S&W (anyone else remember those?). Slide-to-frame fit was so poor that you could, literally, see daylight under the slide when locked in battery. I'd fired one of the pre-production guns (a shooting buddy was doing some contract work for S&W marketing at the time) and thought I just couldn't do without one. Picked the piece up from the dealer and took it straight to the range with a couple boxes of factory loads. Function was good but targets looked like buckshot patterns. Sent it straight back to S&W and they replaced it within a week. Next one was just as bad so I got in touch with S&W and arranged to send it back for credit against a new M586 wheelgun.

armyrat1970
07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
A Dan Wesson (Monson) revolver, blueprinted by DW R&D dept.
It really didn't shoot any better than a stock Ruger Security-Six.
It would also get out of time and bind up after about 1000 rounds.
After the third trip back to the factory for rebuild, It got traded for another Ruger.
No regrets on the trade.

For years I wished that Ruger would buy DW just for the interchangeable barrel design. A GP100 with interchangeable barrels would be sweet.

Jack

I love Rugers and would jump on that in a heart beat. They could easily come out with that offering for the GP100. I loved mine in 6"stainless full underlug barrel that I lost through some unfortunate circumstances. A combo with a 2 3/4", 4" and 6" barrel would be assume. And while talking about one I did like, I also liked my old Taurus model 66 I bought in the mid 80's. Not a Ruger and had the rear sights sear the screws off once because of shooting to many full house loads through it but it was accurate and reliable. (until the rear sight flew off of course) Had a smith drill and tap and add an extra screw to the rear sight but traded it later along with an FIE Titan and a Marlin model 30AS for my GP100.

Jbar4Ranch
07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Chaparral 1876.
The first one had too many problems to list here, but the worst were ill fitting and bent side plates, the hammer catching in the half cock notch if you squeezed the trigger instead of jerking it, and bullets were tumbling before the twenty yard line. "Groups" at fifty yards couldn't be kept on an 8' x 8' target. A wide variety of BP, subs, smokeless, lead and jacketed bullets were tried. It was replaced with a new rifle by Charter Arms. Rifle #2 had many repeat problems, plus a bunch of new ones. It too was replaced by Charter Arms and Nick Ecker promised me that he would personally see to it that #3 worked, and, for the most part, it did. I had to tweak the extractor spring a bit to get reliable extraction, but other than that, it has worked well. FWIW, the caliber is .45-75 using cases formed from .348 Winchester brass.