PDA

View Full Version : Can I?

singleshotbuff
03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Gentlemen,

I have some melted lube that is sitting in metal pans (Lee pan lube kits). I like this lube and would like to use it in my Lyman lubrisizer. Can I just remelt it and pour it directly into the lube reserviour? Will it gum up the threads?

Thanks

SSB

NVcurmudgeon
03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Sure, you can melt it and pour it in, or if it is soft enough you can spoon and pack it in. Once you screw down some pressure it will fill all spaces, even the threads, and not gum them up.

Dale53
03-22-2006, 01:22 AM
In Spence and Pat Wolf's great book on the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield he gave a great tip on using a lube/sizer. Buy one of those inexpensive (couple of bucks) coffee warmers - the kind that is about 50 watts made to keep one cup of coffee hot. You then put a tin cup and fill it with lube. It can melt and keep a cup of lube liquid all day long without overheating it. When I start sizing and lubing bullets, I turn on the coffee warmer with a cup full of lube on it. By the time I run out of lube in the sizer everything in the cup is fully melted. I just take off the cap on the sizer and pour the lube directly into the sizer. Be careful and do NOT overfill (how do I know about overfilling - trust me, do NOT overfill:mrgreen:). At any rate, when I finish a batch of bullets, I just pour the sizer full of lube and reassemble. That way, I am always ready with a full sizer when I need it.

It works fine with both NRA Alox mix and Emmert's. I haven't used the method with any other lube. When you mix your own lube, as I do, it completely avoids the need to make a jig/mould for lube sticks. It has been my "approved method" for years.

Dale53

454PB
03-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I guess I complicate things. I just slice off pieces of lube that will fit, then jam them in the sizer and compress it with the threaded piston. I've done it that way for 35 years without a problem.

buck1
03-22-2006, 02:26 AM
I just microwave my canning jars and pour it in the sizer and all over the dam@ place. ....buck

Cherokee
03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm with ya buck ....

lovedogs
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Dale forgot to mention not getting that cup of lube mixed up with your cup full of whatever beverage you drink. Might give you the squirts and your groups won't be too good neither. Ha, ha!

Dale53
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
lovedog;
Actually, if the lube is Emmert's, it's not too bad:mrgreen: . Not that I have actually tried it, you understand....

By the way, I have recently changed the metal cup to a Pyrex measuring cup and it still works fine. The pyrex cup has a better spout (and I don't mix it up with a beverage cup...)

Dale53

SharpsShooter
03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I pillaged one of SWMBO's candle warmers and have a tin cup with the lube warmed up for the press in short order.

:coffee: