PDA

View Full Version : Selling molds - prices?

trapperP
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm a relative new comer here so please be patient with me. At the moment, I'm trying to help my sister-in-law sell off the life time collection of reloading stuff from my late brothers estate. Knowing little about cast bullets and mold prices, I thought I would turn here for some help.
There is a total of 8 molds, mostly Lyman/Ideal but one RCBs and one Ohaus mold - did Ohaus become part of RCBS?
The list:
#1 - Lyman 311410
#2 - Lyman 457124
#3 - RCBS 32-170-FN
#4 - Lyman .490 Round Ball
#5 - Ideal 358 439 373; Hollow point mold w/ handles
#6 - Ohaus 44-215-S; 2 Cavity w/ handles
#7 - Ideal 358-429-438; 4 Cavity w/ handles
#8 - Ideal 358-432S-137; 2 Cavity w/ handles
I really need to know what sort of price to put on these to help her, quite frankly, she needs the money. I really hate to run them on ebay or the like.
Any and all info appreciated.
Best regards,
trapperP

redneckdan
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
As far as getting top dollar, ebay seems to be the ticket, some stuff goes for well over new retail. Others here may be able to give you a better idea on value, when I sell something here I usually figure out what I paid for the item and divide that by two.

masscaster
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Trapper,
The prices vary greatly, even between two single cav. moulds of different calibers.
Most of us know what the blocks sell for new & used, as well as the handles. It's also hard to say without having some pictures to see the condition of the moulds and handles.
Personaly, i'm very interested in #2 and #5. Please PM me if you like, with pics if you can get them, and i'll make you an offer for #2 (457124 SC or DC?) and #5 (358439 HP).
Note, I have a friend looking for that HP mould, the 457124 is for me personaly.
Hope this helps, and thanks
masscaster

Echo
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
+1 for eBay - putting them on there will bring the best prices, and she could probably gain a couple hundred dollars from the effort. 2C sell for more than SC...

Vly
07-13-2009, 09:25 PM
The best thing about the on-line auctions is you don't need to know that the item is worth, the bidders will determine that for you. The most important thing for the seller is a good, honest description, and a good photo.

HeavyMetal
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I hate suggesting prices for stuff!

However I also understand the postion your in.

So I will ry to give "general" pricing ideas.

Single cavity molds, usually these are lyman /Ideal Depending on boolit style and condition $35.00 to $50.00 per mold Handles make it worth a bit more by $10.00 to $15.00.

As an example a Lyman 429421 SC 44 mold no handle, good condition $40.00 shipped is a fair price. This is a fairly common mold and a good donor for an HP job.

Now lets talk Lyman 429303 SC 44 mold no handles good condition. To the right buyer $70.00 shipped is not unreasonable. This is a very hard mold to come by!

I hope this helps with your pricing delimma.

Most of what you have is fairly common molds in fairly common calibers.

I'd use ebay as a "guide" to pricing keeping in mind that some of the prices you see are pushed up by buyers out of the country hungry for stuff that is impossible for them to buy locally.

Entertain offers and see what happens.

mooman76
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Round ball moulds are pretty common and easier to come by plus the fact that a round ball is a round ball, nothing special between one brand or another so some might opt for a Lee RB mould when they usually wouldn't. Anyway a fair price for it would probablt be $25 if its a single or $35 if it's a double.
Hollow point moulds are a little higher to come by but I don't know what a good price for it would be but if you go the ebay route it is not uncommon for moulds to go for double what they are worth or more and hollow point moulds usually run pretty high there.

Slow Elk 45/70
07-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Sorry about your brother, if she needs money, take pictures of the molds, open so the cavities can be seen, E-Bay will get her more money than you imagine. Other than that they are a PITA. Good Luck

JMtoolman
07-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Trapper, sent you an e-mail on two of the molds I am looking for. # 7 & #8 Could you send me a discription of the condation (pictures), and the price if you are still intrested in selling. I have been looking for this style of bullets for my 38. Best regards, the toolman. Jaeger63@live.com