PDA

View Full Version : Dissolving alloyed lead?

Naphtali
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I have been told there are non-destructive bore cleaning products available that function on alloyed lead but not on pure lead. They are supposed to dissolve (or whatever is this term's equivalent) not the lead, but non-lead chemicals in an alloy. Having done this, leading residue is suppose to become easier to swab out than any other process.

When I write "non-destructive," I mean product's regular use will not harm or degrade the I.D. of barrels -- as will ammonia, for example.

If this is accurate, please identify these products.

hiram
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
You might want to look at Sharp Shoot R. Foaming bore cleaner.

SciFiJim
07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I've used hydrogen peroxide occasionally on tough deposits. I have heard that it can cause problems with some bores so I make sure I clean VERY thoroughly afterward.

montana_charlie
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I have been told there are non-destructive bore cleaning products available that function on alloyed lead but not on pure lead. They are supposed to dissolve (or whatever is this term's equivalent) not the lead, but non-lead chemicals in an alloy.
I can't imagine what 'chemicals' could exist within an alloy of two, or more, molten metals. (I'm not sure how to classify arsenic.)
If the idea is to 'dissolve' some of those metals (tin, antimony, copper, silver, etc) while not dissolving lead or barrel steel...that would be a neat trick.

Having done this, leading residue is suppose to become easier to swab out than any other process.
Kroil is considered to be a good product for 'loosening' lead deposits in a bore. Being a penetrating oil, it (is said) gets between the lead and the steel...making removal easier.

I use it for this purpose, but it also requires the use of a very tight patch...

CM

Pepe Ray
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I support MC's position completely.
Lead and its alloys are "Inert".
Our resident chemist may clarify this.
Mechanical or electrolysis yes,
Chemical, No.
Pepe Ray

Johnch
07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Mercury will disolve the lead in your bore and not harm the steel

Then all you have to do is distill the mecury , to remove the lead

Sounds simple
Expect Mecury is highly toxic and not easy to get

And the tools to distill the lead out are even harder to come by

One thing
If you use hydrogen peroxide to remove lead
I can't remember what the chemical reaction produces
But I do know it is highly toxic

So handle the crud that comes out of your barrel carefuly and don't injest it

fredj338
07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
If you are just looking for a way to clean lead form a barrel, A patch of Kroil followed by a bore brush w/ ChoreBoy then another patch of Kroil pretty much removes any leading I have incurred.

Pepe Ray
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry!!!!
I assumed that the question was requesting a practical solution.
Pepe Ray

sargenv
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Foul out electrochemical bore cleaning? Uses a reverse plating method at lox voltage. Chemical for lead removal is Lead acetate, checmical for copper is copper acetate..