PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with 45 ACP Amerc brass?

strangwn
07-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a small quantity of 45 ACP range brass with Amerc headstamp. I have seen some comments that this brass has problems. After resizing it, all the cases are shorter than the trim-to length of 0.895", at least some are 0.890". I am an experienced handloader and understand the headspace issue, but have only recently started loading 45 ACP. Should I scrap this stuff, or do some of you use it for light loads? I hate to scrap anything that still has some limited use. Your comments and ideas would be very much appreciated.

wallenba
07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Find someone who has a 45ACP revolver, possibly could still use it since they do not typically headspace on the case mouth, or use it as an excuse to the wife why you need to buy a new gun!

GSM
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Send it to the scrap pile.

I can't get that stuff to work even for short line loads - bullets can be pushed into the case with fingers, even after sizing the brass.

deltaenterprizes
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Send it to me!

Trifocals
07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
It is useable as is in a revolver using half moon or full moon clips. OR.... if you are using a bullet with a front driving band, such as a SWC, seat the bullet out further so the round headspaces on the bullet's front driving band instead of the case mouth. I used this method several years ago with an ice cream bucket of short .45 ACP brass. It worked like a charm. :drinks:

felix
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
No problem. Just a challenge. Use dies that work in terms of contraction and expansion. Use a boolit shape that will force the headspace requirements in your particular barrel. ... felix

Recluse
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Agree with Felix.

I have a small batch of the Amerc junk, but I also have an old Colt Gov't Series 70 that will feed, eat and fire anything. So I use the Amerc stuff for some SWC boolits for little more than basic plinking ammo.

When my shooting's off a little bit, I simply blame it on the brass. Shooters at the range next to me that don't reload always nod understandingly and buy the story. [smilie=1:

:coffee:

jhrosier
07-13-2009, 12:11 PM
What to do with Amerc?
Give it to somebody that you don't like.

Powder, primers and projectiles are too scarce and valuable to waste on junk brass.
Good quality .45 brass is still relatively inexpensive and available.

Jack

yondering
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about them being .005" shorter than trim length, not really a big deal in most semi-autos.
The problem I've had with Amerc brass was the primer pockets were too big; the primers would just drop out of the brass. Kind of makes the other issues a mute point.

lylejb
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
you said "a small quantity".....if that's only a box or 2 (or less) it's probably not worth fooling with unless your very low on good brass.

if you have 300 - 400 -500 of them, it might be worth it, IF as yodering said, you can find enough cases with primer pockets that fit. Still, it sounds like a pain to deprime and try every case, hopeing to find "enough" that will hold a primer.

good brass isn't that hard to find yet.

when i go through range brass, i sort them by headstamp. If i only ave a few of an odd headstamp, i just toss them. not worth it to me.

scrapcan
07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
send them to delta and let him make them into bullet jackets. I have had lots of issues with amerc 45 and 40 cases. I sort them and throw them in the scrap bucket.

strangwn
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
wallenba,
So far I like your response best. Just need to find a good shooter revolver.

Thanks everyone for all the great comments!

Echo
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Well - I don't know about the other issues, but as far as being too short - just seat your boolits out so the shoulder contacts the leade. Ed Harris wrote about 'endplay' in the .45 ACP as opposed to headspace. The boolit contacting the barrel will serve as an effective headspace contact. Even if the loaded round stands proud of the dismounted barrel, the impact of the slide slamming home will do a light engraving job, and you will be good to go. I seat my -460 boolits out about .030-.040 with no drama and full functioning.

On the other hand, if the primer pockets are too large and drop primers, junk 'em.

Tom-n8ies
07-14-2009, 12:57 AM
+1 on the oversize primer pockets. Best scrap them.

tom

Rockydog
07-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I had about 60 Amerc cases in .38 special. Primer flash holes were far enough off center to bend decapping pins, Pockets were too large to hold primers. About 1 in 5 cases were split after the original firing. Case mouths were over twice as thick on one side of the case as the other as miced. Some case mouths were really nothing more than brass foil. Take a hammer and crush everyone of them before you give in and try to load them. Don't ask me how I know. RD