PDA

View Full Version : need more heat

dancast
07-12-2009, 08:22 PM
hi casters,
well tonight i tried to melt some w/w on my grill on the pot side. could not get the lead hot enough, using a cast iron frying pan, got it hot enough to make a paste, and get the clips out. any new ideas? thanks....dancast

docone31
07-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I got an hot plate. Inexpensive enough, even at 1500 watts.
Makes plenty of heat. Not as hot as the kitchen stove, but the wife is much happier.

HeavyMetal
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
+1 on the hot plate.

Kind of concerned with the burner on the side of the grill. Are we talking Bar B Q grill?

If so +++++ on the hot plate! The grills I've seen are not as strongly built as I'd like them to be to hold even a small pot full of hot lead.

This is one thing you want to be very safe with! Burns are no fun, ask around the site you'll get the skinny straight enough, but even more important is if you get a bad burn living with it until it heals won't be near as bad as the scorching you'll get from SWMBO!

Those are usually measured in "MegaTons" and "Mila-rads"! Trust me and avoid that experience!

SciFiJim
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I use the side burner on my grill. Before doing so, I tested it by applying my weight on it (far more than a 3 quart pot of lead[smilie=1:). Just to be sure I brace it from the bottom with a 2x4.

Dancast, try something with taller sides like a pot. Then fold aluminum foil over to double the thickness and wrap around the outside of the base while the pot is on the burner to act as a heat and wind barrier. This will keep the heat where its needed. Use more foil doubled over to make a lid for the pot and keep heat in that way. Be careful when removing the foil lid. The smoke and fumes can catch on fire.

I've used this method to process a lot of WWs and to process radiator shop dross in to usable solder. I also ladle cast using the same burner.

WILCO
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I got an hot plate.

I do all of my casting on a hot plate with a cast iron pan!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/jato321/IMG00157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/jato321/IMG00159.jpg

When I'm done smelting WW's, I let it cool down and flip the pan to give me a pancake ingot......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/jato321/IMG00005.jpg

woody1
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Here's what I use. Pot is every bit of 2 qts. (heavy when full). I put flashing around the pot to direct the heat to the pot sides. A lid that covers all speeds up the initial melt. Works for me and since it was a throwaway bbq was basically free. Regards, Woody

WILCO
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Here's what I use.

Nice set up Woody!

HeavyMetal
07-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Nice pic Woody!

For those not fortunate enough to get a "donor" BBQ I saw the side burners for sale as an add on at Lowes or wal mart.

The were much less than a turkey fryer and, with a little thought, a very stable propane casting set up could be made darn cheap!

I do see a support under the burner correct? Looks like a 2x4. Again I think I'd make some serious support changes or rebuild a seperate set up. I have this vision of that side burner folding while filled with hot lead!

Just my wild imagination but still... food for thought!

woody1
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Actually there is no support under my sideburner melting set-up. Mebe it's an extra heavy duty BBQ but I took the photos in 2001 and no calamity yet and I feel confident there will be none. Another shot showing my "lid." It's the top of the propane tank I use with a turkey fryer for smelting. Regards, Woody