PDA

View Full Version : value of ww

terminal gravity
03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
As I am new to casting, I need some equipment. Talking to the other half, she thinks i should try to offset the cost by selling ww ingots (5 lb) at gunshows. Does anyone have an idea of what they might go for at a gunshow. Has anyone ever bought ww ingots at gunshows? TIA!

Bass Ackward
03-21-2006, 11:56 PM
As I am new to casting, I need some equipment. Talking to the other half, she thinks i should try to offset the cost by selling ww ingots (5 lb) at gunshows. Does anyone have an idea of what they might go for at a gunshow. Has anyone ever bought ww ingots at gunshows? TIA!

TG,

I .... think you are barking up the wrong tree. Besides, you pay to rent those tables in this neck of the woods. Here WW is free for the asking.

There are two ways to go. Buy quality that is guaranteed and it will pay dividends and appreciate. Or go the cheap route and use it and throw it away when it fails. There is some merit to both. Especially if you are not sure that this is the hobby for you.

Try looking at this from another angle. You buy the equipment now at today's high prices and maybe you sell it 20 years from now at those inflated prices on ebay or where ever. During that time, you learned alot about your sport and get to shoot at rates you can afford today. Hell, I have doubled my money on a lot of stuff I sold on ebay from what I bought it at and that was stuff I no longer needed. That produced "gains" that has bought even more inflated priced stuff.

Oh boy the money I am going to make 20 years from now!

versifier
03-22-2006, 01:46 AM
I think it would be worth a lot more if you turned it into boolits first and sold them at the shows. With a little care and practice, you can get some good ones, at least as good and likely better than the commercial cast on the market. And if you sized them correctly (.002" or .003" bigger than "jacketed diameter") they'd be more accurate than commercial offerings and you could build yourself up a market locally. Get yourself a couple of six-bangers and have fun. The more you practice, the more consistant they will come out, and that will rapidly improve the ones you cast for your own use. I believe I have read here that you need a license to go big time, but selling them in small amounts at a show is no big deal, and if the quality is good you can continue to sell them privately to the ones that like them.

44man
03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Be darned if I would sell lead that I can shoot!

versifier
03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Neither would I, but I don't have to keep a woman pacified anymore. It was hard enough just getting time to load, shoot, and hunt when I was married, never mind spending my hard earned money on TOOLS I would actually when there was something she wanted to look at for a few weeks and then store it out in the barn for the rest of eternity. If selling a few boolits can earn some peace, it's a good investment. Maybe she can work the table while you check out the shows. :mrgreen:

rbstern
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
eBay is probably a cheaper and easier outlet for ingots.

It seems that the ingot market on eBay is heating up. I would recommend selling in batches of 20 pounds or more, starting priced at a penny per batch. I suspect you'll get about 30 to 50 cents a pound plus shipping cost, based on what I see going on there. The amount you charge for shipping has a lot to do with the final price. Search for "ingot" in eBay's hunting category and you'll get a good sense for the what price the market will bear.

terminal gravity
03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
I just keep collecting ww & making ingots (how can that be a bad thing?:-D ) I just wondered if anyone has actually seem them at gunshows & paid for 'em.. Those fancy new lubrisizers are a little spendy. Thanks for all the replys!