PDA

View Full Version : Leupold 4x28

bedwards
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
how far forward should I mount a new 4x28 on a Ruger SRH? I have it as far as it will go to make more room to get to the hammer right now but need an idea from you guys before I tighten things down. Also, do you use any thread locker?

be

EOD3
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I guess that would depend on how long your arms are. :) The eye relief range on the pistol scopes are normally pretty forgiving. From your "shooting position" you should see a nice bright circle without any dark shading around the edge. DO NOT clamp the ring(s) right next to the adjustment housing, unless you want to break the reticle.

You might as well put a hammer extender on it now and save some skin.

Heavy lead
07-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I would also advise lapping the rings first as well. I have a lapping kit from Midway and a reamer from Manson, they are worth their weight in at least silver for mounting scopes.
On another note if you have torx screws I would not use loc-tite, If they are the slot style I would IMO.

bedwards
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess that would depend on how long your arms are. :) The eye relief range on the pistol scopes are normally pretty forgiving. From your "shooting position" you should see a nice bright circle without any dark shading around the edge. DO NOT clamp the ring(s) right next to the adjustment housing, unless you want to break the reticle.

You might as well put a hammer extender on it now and save some skin.

Thanks, that's exactly where I have it but haven't tightened it yet. So how far off the housing should it be? Yes, it has flat head screws and not torx or hex screws.

be

EOD3
07-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks, that's exactly where I have it but haven't tightened it yet. So how far off the housing should it be? Yes, it has flat head screws and not torx or hex screws.

be

I'd give it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance. Lapping the rings will increase the contact surface for a more positive hold. Hold off on the gun-tite until you're SURE you have the scope positioned correctly. The ring screws should be torqued to (IIRC), 35 inch pounds.

bisleyfan41
07-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I agree with the lapping mentioned above, however I have to take issue with the comment about not placing the ring against the adjustment housing. In fact, I would recommend you mount it this way.

I have a SBH Hunter I bought in 2001 that has literally thousands of rounds through it; both heavy cast and various factory JHP 44 loads. It has a 2x Leupold with the adjustment housing slid right up to the front ring and I have never had any issues at all; no broken reticle, no shifting of the scope, nothing. Still as accurate as when new.

The first I learned of mounting a scope this way was from Sheriff Jim Wilson (in Shooting Times at the time). He said scopes have tendency to move in the rings during recoil. Mounting the scope like this prevents any scope slippage from occuring. He was right, no slippage.

Not sure of others experiences, but like I said, thousands of rounds through this Hunter/Leupold combo and zero problems. Good luck with yours.

44man
07-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with the lapping mentioned above, however I have to take issue with the comment about not placing the ring against the adjustment housing. In fact, I would recommend you mount it this way.

I have a SBH Hunter I bought in 2001 that has literally thousands of rounds through it; both heavy cast and various factory JHP 44 loads. It has a 2x Leupold with the adjustment housing slid right up to the front ring and I have never had any issues at all; no broken reticle, no shifting of the scope, nothing. Still as accurate as when new.

The first I learned of mounting a scope this way was from Sheriff Jim Wilson (in Shooting Times at the time). He said scopes have tendency to move in the rings during recoil. Mounting the scope like this prevents any scope slippage from occuring. He was right, no slippage.

Not sure of others experiences, but like I said, thousands of rounds through this Hunter/Leupold combo and zero problems. Good luck with yours.
True. The reticle is near the back of the scope. Everything is in an inner tube that the adjustments move.
It is NOT a good idea to lock tite any ring screws. Only the base screws need it.

jh45gun
07-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Good Luck a 4 X is pretty hard to hold still just the slightest movement shows a 2x I think is a better choice on a pistol.

44man
07-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Good Luck a 4 X is pretty hard to hold still just the slightest movement shows a 2x I think is a better choice on a pistol.
Actually a 1X is the best. Can't find them anymore as far as I know.
2 to 4X is great from a bench but neither is worth a darn off hand.
Best for hunting is always the Ultra Dot.

bedwards
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Well... it was a gun show NIB bargain. I have a soft spot for bargains. I did want the 2x. I hope I haven't messed up. Haven't shot it yet, maybe this weekend, but it does show EVERY wiggle.

be

testhop
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
i agree with all who said 2 power is better than a 4power.
i have a 2 to 7 on my sbh hunter for load testing
and a 2 power for hunting .
in place of loc tite i use my ladys finger nail polish holds well but easly to release.