PDA

View Full Version : .410 rifled choke

Matt3357
07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I am looking for something that may not exist. I am looking for a rifled choke for a 410. I don't care what its for, just that its for a 410. I think I have read somewhere that in Russia you can buy one for a saiga 410 but I have had zero luck finding one as of now. Could you please tell me if they do not exist or point me in the right direction to find one.

thanks,
Matt

turbo1889
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, rifled chokes do exist for the Saiga-410 as well as the Saiga-20ga. which are the only rifled chokes I know of that are made for those two gauges as factory items not custom made. However, as you have most likely already discovered finding one in the U.S. is like looking for a needle in a hay-stack.

Your best bet is probably to take like a 6" long 41-mag pistol barrel blank and have a machinist cut a muzzle crown on one end and machine and thread the other end to match your gun - would be possible for any 410 that takes threaded chokes. Twist rate would be much quicker than ideal but not much worse then other rifled chokes. If you could get a custom blank with a custom twist rate you would want like a 1 in 40 twist like a muzzle loader twist for 41-cal.

Matt3357
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
turbo1889,

I was hoping you would chime in. I came up with this idea the other day about a week ago to reload 410 slugs then more and more research I did the more your name came up. I saw your post about the 41 mag blank and all day today I have been trying to locate a short .41 mag barrel blank for a reasonable price. I found one from Green Mountain for $80. Another thought I had was contacting some gunsmiths and seeing if any of them had any old 41 mag barrels with the throat eroded. Another situation I have been wondering about is the chamber side of the choke where the bullet meats the lands, would you have to taper the inside lands to keep it from shaving or blowing apart. Also, is it possible to shoot jacketed bullets through a rifled choke?

Thanks,
Matt

lostchild0
07-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't know just what you want the choke for, but I've got a h&r survivor in .45/410. 410 slugs do work ok in it but .45colt or a longer case with a .45 slug is cheeper. This barrell has is fully riffeled and comes with a choke tube for shooting shot shells. I don't know the price of a new one but mine was about 200.00$ I don't think thats too bud for a .45 rifle and a 410 in one gun. There is also room in the fore end for half a box of 410 ammo. I hope this helps and dose'nt offend thanks for reading.....lost

Matt3357
07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I have heard of the 45/410 and the fabled 450 Mongo but I have an H&R 410 that is collecting dust so I thought I would breath some new life into it and see if I could get it to shoot slugs better and have the ability to change chokes on it as well. I am not looking to buy a new barrel or new gun.

Thanks,
Matt

Pepe Ray
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Matt--;
Is your bbl already threaded for removable chokes?
If so, I'd contact the manufacturer first, to determine availability.
If Not, then contact the purveyors of aftermarket chokes. I know that there are a few but the only one I can think of is Briley.

I'm considering a similar project but with a larger bore. I'm gonna begin by exploring the results of round ball/smooth bore accuracy first. It's less expensive that way and I may not need to go any further.
Good luck,
Pepe Ray

Matt3357
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Ray,

Sounds like we are on the same journey. My shotgun is an H&R 410 that is not threaded. My plan is to have it threaded for 410 remchokes or winchester chokes and then have a 41 mag barrel blank turned into a rifled choke. But I probably will start with a cylinder bore like you and see what comes of that.

Thanks,
Matt

lostchild0
07-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Sorry Matt I missunderstood what you wanted.

Matt3357
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
lostchild,

no offense intended, my original post didn't explain exactly what my plans were so you post is valid.

Everyone,

What about a 200 grain XTP as a slug? or a 300 grain 405 winchester rifle bullet? do you think they would have a better BC? Where can I find the BC? Do you think there would be enough velocity for them to open up on game?

thanks,
Matt

Pepe Ray
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Without twist for stabilization they'd probably strike sideways.
Look for shot gun postings by Longbow. There are others with this interest who've already plowed this ground.
I've only been a curious sideline observer.
Pepe Ray

turbo1889
07-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Matt3357, if you have your heart set on lobbing big heavy solid slugs out of a 410 shotgun and a rifled choke is how you want to do it you should seriously consider the possibility of going straight to a custom/semi-custom full length rifled barrel 410 slug gun. In the long run this may save you both time and money rather than fiddling with the rifled choke idea. For a semi-custom set up you could get a barrel from these guys and then purchase the appropriate frame to go with it:

http://hoeningbigboresouth.com/index.html

Alternately, if going the completely custom route could have a barrel made and fitted to a bolt action type rifle. I personally built such a gun on a 303-brit surplus military rifle action for my younger brother. This was an easy choice because only very slight changes are needed to the 303-brit service rifle action for it to accommodate 410 shotgun shells. A 405-Win barrel blank was used with chamber cut with a 410 shot-shell chamber cutter. I then had a local barrel smith thread the new barrel to match the original 303-brit barrel and screw it into the action and head-space it. I then did all the carving and witling and hardware modifications to but the whole thing back together again. Works great except it's my brothers not mine.

Me personally - I'm mainly interested in developing a 410 slug that can be used in an every day smooth bore gun of any normal choke constriction or lack thereof and pack the necessary terminal performance down range for deer size game within 70-yards or less.

Matt3357
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Turbo,

I have checked out that website and I think I can do it cheaper. I found a website I can get a barrel liner for $5 per inch and a guy named Mike Orlen that will do the choke installation for $35. I also have a machinist buddy that will take my barrel liner and match it to the choke tubes and on top of that I found a set of used chokes for $15 for use with shot. All in all I think I'll have around $100 bucks in the hole thing and still have a "shot" gun to boot. I think that is reasonable although I do like the idea of a bolt action slug, I just can't afford to partake in a project that intensive at this point with school and all. I like the idea of the slug that will perform in anything, but I want something just above that "anything" that will perform in my gun that is just collecting dust.

by the way, how is slug development coming?

Thanks,
Matt

Storydude
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I agree 100% on Mike Orlen doing the work. Great service Great turnaround and great price.

Matt3357
07-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know if the threads that Mike Orlen cuts for chokes work with any other brand of choke?

Thanks,
Matt

Storydude
07-19-2009, 12:38 AM
He'll cut them in whatever style you want, or can be put in the gun due to wall thickness. Remchoke, Winchoke, Truchoke...

Matt3357
07-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Storydude,

Have you had a winchoke put in a barrel by him? On his price sheet which I got from him, it says he uses True Tube. He told me it was a proprietary system and did not mention any other option when I asked the same question to him, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks,
Matt

Storydude
07-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry, he does Remchoke, Invector and Truchoke.
http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf

Matt3357
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
If you look at the title of the thread and look at the 410 chokes he uses, you will see that he only uses the True Tubes made by colonial arms as well as I have spoken with him myself.

Matt

jh45gun
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
If it was me I would sell the 410 and buy a 45/410. Much more useable and a hoot to shoot I do not have a 45/410 rifle but I do have a 45/410 barrel on my Encore pistol and it has become my favorite thing to shoot. the 410 is fun and should be great for squirrels and grouse at close range. The 45 shoots well at 25 yards once I put on some Williams Slugger fiber optic sights on the rib. Bow range is what I shoot all my deer with a pistol anyway. I traded off my 308 barrel and a Marlin 60 for a 45 colt Uberti pistol when I got this 45/410 barrel. I now wish I would have had one when I first bought the Encore.