PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli shoots too high

Dave B
07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
My Sharps Heavy Target shoots about 8" high at 125 yds. I just put a Pedersoli Soule mid range sight on it. I noticed that the eye piece won't go quite as low as the cheap tang sight that it came with. I also was shooting Ranch Dog 340 gr gc with 29 gr 5744. (nice groups). My first thought was to put on a taller front, but it has a nice globe with several inserts. I also thought about maybe dropping to 24 gr 5744. Any ideas out there?

waksupi
07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Dave, you need to shoot a heavier boolit. Go to a 500+ gr., and you should be on target.

SharpsShooter
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Speed it up and flatten the trajectory. Or...just shoot a heavier boolet as Ric suggested. What is the AA powder you mention??? Is there a new grade of black powder out :kidding:

SS

Dave B
07-12-2009, 02:31 PM
AA 5744 is touted as good for smokeless loads in large black powder cases. After shooting a couple of lbs of it in a Marlin 45-70, I would agree. It seems to shoot nice tight groups in my Pedersoli, just a little too high.

pietro
07-12-2009, 03:00 PM
You could use a riser block betwixt the globe sight/barrel.

They are a block with a male dovetail below to fit the barrel dovetail, and a female dovetail on top to accept the sight.

This is a Williams, installed in a ramp, but the principle's the same for all:

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/WU13053.jpg

BPCR Bill
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Those Sharps target rifles, of any make, are best suited to long range. I'm just another one of those PITA purists, but I only shoot BP in mine. You can get target globe sights with many different height bases. I agree that you need a much heavier boolit, though. I sometimes shoot my 45-70 at 100 yards, as the range here where I moved to only has out to 200 yards. My Shiloh 45-110, on the other hand is strictly a long range gun now, and I drive to another range to shoot that one. A 3 hour drive.

Regards,
Bill

NickSS
07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I had to put a higher front sight on one of my sharps because my rear tang sight whould not go low enough. Its usually cheaper to change front sights than rear ones. Lyman 17 sights come in several hights. I just bought the next tallest one and it works fine at 100 yards now.

Don McDowell
07-12-2009, 11:32 PM
If you're going to insist on using that longrange rifle at powder burn close off hand ranges, you probably ought to go to at least the 405 gr bullet with 28 grs of 5744, or a 500 gr with 25 grs of 5744.
Of course you could always just stuff the cases with 65-70 grs of 2f black and live happily ever after.:lol:

Gunlaker
07-13-2009, 12:19 PM
My Sharps Heavy Target shoots about 8" high at 125 yds. I just put a Pedersoli Soule mid range sight on it. I noticed that the eye piece won't go quite as low as the cheap tang sight that it came with. I also was shooting Ranch Dog 340 gr gc with 29 gr 5744. (nice groups). My first thought was to put on a taller front, but it has a nice globe with several inserts. I also thought about maybe dropping to 24 gr 5744. Any ideas out there?

My 1874 Pedersoli Basic Hunter shoots bang on at 200yards with the mid range soule and a 525gr Postell :-D.

I'd suggest going with a taller front sight if you want to shoot at less than 200yds. Buffalo Arms sells a taller globe that should do the trick for a reasonable price.

It is also annoying that their Soule sights won't allow you to use the bottom (or top) 1/4".

Chris.

montana_charlie
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I noticed that the eye piece won't go quite as low as the cheap tang sight that it came with.

My first thought was to put on a taller front, but it has a nice globe with several inserts.
Along with the cheap tang sight, your rifle came equipped with the cheap (USA 455) globe sight to match. It sits very low to the bore with a height of .350".

If you want to stick with Pedersoli globe sights, the USA 469-R at .433", or the USA 462 at .433"-with a spirit level, will probably work better for you.

If you buy a new sight, you will also get a new card of 12 inserts. Not a bad idea to have some spares in the shapes you like best...

Pedersoli also makes globes that are even taller.

CM

07-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Unless very short, most tang sights have enough elevation to go to fairly long range. So, for max flexibility for ranges, bullets, loads to be shot, then a little taller front is prolly a good idea. And, for most of the so-called long range shooting, a spirit level is a good idea. The taller front is the least expensive way to get the flexibility for shorter ranges. Then at some later time you could always upgrade the tang sight if wanted or needed.

Dave B
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Like Pietro suggested, I ordered a riser from Midway. For under $10 I can try it out. I can always get a new taller globe if I don't like the look of it. I also will try some 405 gr bullets too.

waksupi
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
I will repeat myself. Go to a heavier bullet. That rifle was never intended to shoot a light one.

Don McDowell
07-14-2009, 08:49 PM
:-D
I will repeat myself. Go to a heavier bullet. That rifle was never intended to shoot a light one.
:groner:[smilie=b: