PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Lucky Dog!!!

Three44s
07-11-2009, 11:26 PM
For sometime my local enabler has had a Mauser in one of those fugly stocks ..... the one that swallows up a Mauser and gives you a long weaver rail .....

And for sometime ....... it's been on consignment for 200 before sales tax.

Well ....... two days ago I spied it had been reduced.

I noted that it was listed as a Mauser 98.

Nobody seemed to know which persuasion.

I have four 24/47's thus far and kind of wanted one of those ugly stick stocks ..... they are 70 bucks at Midway.

And another Mauser could not hurt???

It followed me home .......... and today I had a spare moment to open it up and find out what I ended up with.

..................... a VZ 24 ................

YAAAAAHOOOOOO!

:drinks:

Three 44s

leadman
07-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you have the makings of a great cast boolit rifle. Tthe problem is the stock! Sanged ugly and not even good for firewood. The guy that designed that has to be one warped dude.

Three44s
07-12-2009, 01:38 AM
This is my first VZ 24 but I have another coming in a trade for one of my 24/47 ....... I have four of those.

I have a post war commercial Brno customed in 7mm Rem mag and a CZ 527 .......

Can't get enough Chech's!!

I am going to play the stock issue by ear but enjoy the rifle in the meantime.

Regards

Three 44s

Ben
07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Three44s:

It may just be bad luck on my behalf, but all the VZ-24's that I pick up & look at have horrible bores.

What does your bore look like ?

Ben

Buckshot
07-13-2009, 03:50 AM
................My brother gave me a VZ 24 he'd bought at Big 5 In Sierra Vista, AZ for $89 maybe 7-8 years ago. He said, "Do you want this?" I said, "Ahhhhhhhhhhh........." trying to get a mental handle on exactly what connotations the remark "Do you want this" carried, via facial expression and body language :-) You know, not wanting to reply in the positive and then being tangled up in some financial diffugalties?

Before I could formulate a safe answer, he said, "PLEASE take it"! So I did. It had been counterbored, but from the looks of what was left they should have just gotten a longer bit and drilled'er on down through the chamber while they were at it. Otherwise internally and externally it was in very fine shape. I ordered a military Mauser stepped barrel chambered in 308 from Brownells and had it screwed on and action & barrel blued.

..............Buckshot

Three44s
07-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Ben,

My bore looks great, the best of my now ten milsurps ...... but I don't count on bores until the fat lady sings on paper.

Buckshot,

This VZ is counterbored as well. (A M38 Russian of mine is counterbored but it shoots like sin)

I did manage to get one shot on paper at 50 yds but ran out of windage ................. a factory J-word and the right end of the bullet made the hole.

Time and some lead rattling down the tracks and I'll know.

Mainly I wanted a VZ action, the barrel if it works out will be creme.

Regards

Three 44s

bruce drake
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Adams and Bennett barrel from Midway will clean up that Mauser just fine. The ugly stock...well to each his own although the VZ-24 is a Long Action Stock so you can put any K98 stock on it and it would fit and get it back to wood.

Bruce

Three44s
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Bruce,

I am suscpecting that the bore on this one is pretty good. But we will see when I have time.

If I rebarrel, I would lean real hard towards a .35 Whelen as I have four 24/47's and figure the best bores in 8mm can remain and the other of those can go for short action projects.

And yes, a VZ24 deserves a honest to goodness wooden stock, I'm spot on for that change.

Regards

Three 44s