PDA

View Full Version : Cap'n Morgan buckshot mould results

Springfield
07-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I heated up the mould and started pouring with pure lead and my RCBS 22 lb pot. The ball/runners fell out OK with a decent rap on the handles. Most of the balls filled out very well, with the exception of the top ball of both sizes. I have a 00/0000 mould. You can see in the pic how the top ball just doesn't fill out. I poured 30 times and all the balls are fine except for the top 2. I think there just isn't enough pressure to fill them out, as thy are too close to the level of the top of the sprue. I tried some ladle casrting with the exact same results.

scrapcan
07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Springfield,

Does the shot break loose from the stem easily? I have not had a the time to heat and try yet, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Springfield
07-13-2009, 04:41 PM
The 00 broke of fine, the 0000 were a little more difficult, but I still did it using just my fingers.

Gee_Wizz01
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I have a #4B and they broke easily by hand but some of them broke with a dimple into the ball instead of leaving a nib sticking outward. I will probably use a cutter next time, but it is no big deal. I probably have a couple of years worth of 4B now since that mold throws 40 at a time!

G