PDA

View Full Version : Over run with squash and onions?

Marvin S
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Zucchini and or yellow crooked neck sliced with onions and fried in a little butter. Add a bit of Lowerys season salt. When they are almost cooked drizzle a little teriaki sauce on it and cook for another two minutes.

44mag1
07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I like to fry them in butter and add sausage and top it with cheese.

pmeisel
07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
How can you get overrun with squash when you eat them for dinner every night?

Marvin S
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
When you plant more that you can eat. The yellows arnt called prolific squash for nothing.

scrapcan
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
add a bit of cayenne pepper. Add some cubed tomatoes and onions. make it a skillet type dish. Don't over cook, leave them with a little bit of crispyness. This is the way we use our extra squish.

leadeye
07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Bread those sliced zuchinni in italian bread crumbs and deep fry at 350! Season with paprika and salt out of the fryer. :-D

gon2shoot
07-13-2009, 07:40 PM
We lived in a small town in Mo. for awhile,where the only time houses or cars were locked was to keep the neighbors from dropping off squash for you. :smile:

waksupi
07-13-2009, 08:00 PM
you can pickle it, ya know.....

Marvin S
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Gon2shoot that's funny. My Mom used to can anything and everything but I cant seem to find the time.

crowbuster
07-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Heck my wife has been sellin and tradin for a few things we don't plant and even traded a mess of green beans for a box of j-word 9mm ammo, what a good woman, good cook to.

C.B.

hoosierlogger
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
The wife and I like to take the yellow squash and zucchini, slice them in half length wise, score the meat on the inside with a knife into about 1" squares still attatched the the skin, butter the crap out of it, give it a good coat of season salt, wrap in foil and put it on the grill for 20 minutes on low. MM good

MT Gianni
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM
The wife and I like to take the yellow squash and zucchini, slice them in half length wise, score the meat on the inside with a knife into about 1" squares still attatched the the skin, butter the crap out of it, give it a good coat of season salt, wrap in foil and put it on the grill for 20 minutes on low. MM good

My wife spices burger and cream cheese and fills the center of small squash after scooping out the seeds. Top it off with grated parmesan cheese and butter and grill it.

dominicfortune00
07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I take zucchini, slice it thin length wise, coat with a simple batter of egg, flour, and milk or water.

Fry them up, very tasty!!

scrapcan
07-14-2009, 03:57 PM
it is also very good if you slice at an angle and just grill it on the rack. It helps to coat the rack with olive oil or cooking oil on a brush or paper towel. salt and pepper it while it is being charred.

oldhickory
07-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Bread those sliced zuchinni in italian bread crumbs and deep fry at 350! Season with paprika and salt out of the fryer. :-D

Pretty good Leadeye, I bread the slices and pan fry them in bacon grease. Yeah, I know...It ain't healthy, but it sure is good!

wallenba
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I take zucchini, slice it thin length wise, coat with a simple batter of egg, flour, and milk or water.

Fry them up, very tasty!! I keep tryin' to cook mine that way Dominic, but I can't get the batter to stick. What's the secret?:???:

mold maker
07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Boil cubed and freeze them to make casserole with next Winter. Ya can't ever have too much.

sargenv
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I keep tryin' to cook mine that way Dominic, but I can't get the batter to stick. What's the secret?

I do it:

Flour the squash, egg wash, then breading. It worked for me when I was working in a kitchen.

I usually added seasoning to the flour (salt, pepper, spices)

I usually whisked the egg with a little water and strained the egg wash to remove any clingies (usually egg white) and shell if there was any.

StarMetal
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
That's the truth about locking your car and house doors. Zucchini should be listed as a weed. The things will over run your garden.

Now here's a recipe I'll bet you boys haven't heard. Got it from my dad. He would take the orange yellow blossoms egg batter and flour them, then fry them. Dang, those are good. Picking the blossoms doesn't hurt the plant producing either, if that at all possible.

Joe

dominicfortune00
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I keep tryin' to cook mine that way Dominic, but I can't get the batter to stick. What's the secret?:???:

No secret really, here's what I do:

I make my batter from simple proportions, such as: 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk or water, and 1 egg.

I also vary the batter ingredients, such as; 1 cup flour,1 cup milk or water, 1 or 2 eggs.

This will result in batters that run from almost pancake like, (think Long John Silver's fish batter) to a tempura like,(think Japanese tempura), just vary the ingredients until you find one you like.

As far as the batter sticking, here's how I prepare the zucchini.

Cut the ends off, and cut out any bad spots; then wash by rubbing with your hands under running cold water.

Pat dry.

Slice very thin length wise and pile up on a plate.

Put about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of oil in a skillet, and heat to around 375.

Dip the zucchini slices in the batter, pull out, let the excess drip off for a few seconds, and fry her up.

Because they are batter dipped, I fry them as soon as I dip them.

Make sure you don't crowd the pan and reduce the oil temp too much because the food will soak up the oil.

Good Luck and Happy Frying!!

dominicfortune00
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Now here's a recipe I'll bet you boys haven't heard. Got it from my dad. He would take the orange yellow blossoms egg batter and flour them, then fry them. Dang, those are good. Picking the blossoms doesn't hurt the plant producing either, if that at all possible.

Joe

I do that too, with pumpkin and zucchini blossoms.

You pick the blossoms in the morning before they close and trap insects inside, like bees.

There are male and female blossoms on pumpkin and zucchini, if you look at the stem behind the blossoms and it swells up a bit, that's a female blossom. Don't generally pick those, just the male ones.

To clean, open the blossom and peel off the base so that it will lay flat, discard the base with the pollen things on it.

Rinse, pat dry, and fry in a batter as above.

Very very tasty!

sargenv
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Another thing you can do with the zuchini flowers is to stuff them with an herbed cream cheese or ricotta filling before breading and frying. A few of these done up right will sell for like $8.95 at a restaurant.

dominicfortune00
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
sargenv

Never thought of doing that with them, sounds good though!

Stick_man
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
How can you get overrun with squash when you eat them for dinner every night?

You have obviously never tried planting more than one plant at a time. Three zucchini plants can keep an entire neighborhood in squash. One is more than enough for me. One year we ended up with 6 plants by mistake and couldn't give them away fast enough.

I don't care much for them cooked (but will eat them raw and sliced) but my wife loves 'em and insists on two plants each year. As long as we get the melons as well, I am happy.

We slice em and dice em and put them in green salads similar to what folks do with the cukes.

My wife slices some up and fries (sautees) them with onions and mushrooms. She likes them, she can have them that way.

pmeisel
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I should say that I have never much cared for zucchini and don't plant it. I have a couple yellow squash plants. Thinking of going to 4 next year, we eat them in preference to potatoes.

shotman
07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
take the yellow crook neck and a green Zucchini. Plant side xside they cross and you will get a zucchini with yellow strips [we call astec] they are more firm and fry better. If you let a couple get big then you have seeds for life.

Freebore
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I can't grow Squash for Squat! I manage a few, but most just turn yellow and rot before picking size.