PDA

View Full Version : lube on boolit bases with lyman 45?

singleshotbuff
03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Gentlemen,

I'm kinda new to using a lubrisizer, mostly used TL and push throughs up until now, and I ran into a small problem with my new (to me) Lyman 45. I'm getting lube under the boolit, as in on the base. How do I fix this? I'm guessing it's just a minor adjustment? Other than that, I love this old 45 so far.

Thanks for any help.

SSB

SharpsShooter
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Gentlemen,

I'm kinda new to using a lubrisizer, mostly used TL and push throughs up until now, and I ran into a small problem with my new (to me) Lyman 45. I'm getting lube under the boolit, as in on the base. How do I fix this? I'm guessing it's just a minor adjustment? Other than that, I love this old 45 so far.

Thanks for any help.

SSB

Your's is a common problem with several solutions.

1. Reduce the lube pressure. (You may have to run the boolit through twice)

2. Keep firm pressure on the press handle at the bottom of the stroke to prevent lube from seeping under the base.

3. Vent the ejector pin by drilling a small diameter hole through the length of the pin to allow an escape for the excess lube.

4. Be sure that the boolit base is flat and the sprue cut was true. A protruding sprue cut will cause the problem often.

There ya go.

:coffee:

StarMetal
03-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Sharpshooter,

Just drilling a hole through the plunger rod won't vent the lube, it has to have vents at the bottom of the rod or more preferrably what the rod butts against. The lube has to have somewhere to go.

Joe

SharpsShooter
03-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Joe

The properly vented ejector pin needs no other modification and produces a small extruded ribbon of lube at the base of the pin itself. Works like a charm.

StarMetal
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Sharpshooter,

Exactly what I'm talking about. You didn't give the other poster enough information to make it all work right. Even a "properly vented" rod doesn't give enough details.

I've given it so many times I'm tired of giving it. It's in the NRA Cast Bullet book too.

If the base of plunger fits perfectly flat with the ram that pushes it up it won't vent as good as you say so. It's better to give it some sort of relief there.

Joe

SharpsShooter
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Pardon me Perfessor in muh failure to dispense the information in such a manner as to meet your omnipotent standards.

StarMetal
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Actually you didn't dispense alot. The proper way to do it is to counter bore the face of the bullet plunger rod, but still leaving a narrow rim of the original flat portion of the face. This then makes a tighter better seal on the bullet's base without digging into it unless you left said rim too narrow. This in conjunction with the hole drilled throught it lengthwise, with proper relief at the bottom so it can escape, it the right way to do it. All of mine have been treated in this manner.

Guess that's why I'm the professor and you're the student..yet.:kidding:

Joe

carpetman
03-21-2006, 10:42 PM
singleshotbuff--- Sharpshooter most likely answered your question with his first two answers and very probably #2. You just want to touch your lube pressure(ratchet)slighly. Don't crank on it like using a ratchet to tighten a bolt. You may get more than one bullet between just bumping it. When you do bump it have it at bottom of the stroke holding firm pressure---read firm not machine wrecking.

Ken O
03-21-2006, 11:58 PM
You didn't say what bullet you are having a problem with. If you are using a GC, if you get it on crooked, the lube will fill in the half void, then the next time it will build. If using a beveled base, run a piece of Styrofoam meat tray though it first to leave a seal on the bottom, or put a gas check at the bottom.
Get a rhythm, I don't crank the pressure until the bottom of the stroke, and move right along. If you go too slow the lube will find its way into the die before the next bullet. If you are going to pause for a while, crank the pressure back off until you are ready to start production again.

singleshotbuff
03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I tried another 50 tonight, using less pressure. Still getting lube on the bases. I'll try again tomorrow night.

SSB

Cherokee
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Read Starmetal's post - I always dish the face of the bullet plunger rod so there is a recess to take care of those tits that appear on the bottom of bullets some time. Works in my #45, #450 and #4500.

robertbank
03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
For all that is involved I just have an old piece of cloth and I wipe the lube off the base. MOst of the time there is so very little it is hardly worth worrying about unless I get to agressive with the pressure.

Take Care

StarMetal
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Read Starmetal's post - I always dish the face of the bullet plunger rod so there is a recess to take care of those tits that appear on the bottom of bullets some time. Works in my #45, #450 and #4500.

Thanks for mentioning that, being there shouldn't be any bumps at the sprue, I didn't mentioned...but you did...good job.

Joe

carpetman
03-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Cherokee you are to be commended. If someone had given me the words Dish,Face,Plunger,Rod,Recess,Tits,Bottom to write a short blurb about cast boolits,I would have gotten off track.

Blackwater
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM
One other thing that's worked for me in the past at times, is to adjust the threaded hollow guide rod for your ejector pin, located below the H&I die on the lube/sizer. Running that up or down sometimes helps. I just diddled with mine (technical term there) until it quit squirting lube under the bases. FWIW?

singleshotbuff
03-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the ideas and input. I'm going to cast a batch tonight after work, and I'll give it a go.

SSB

Bman
03-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I had that problem somewhat also. I stiffened my lube a touch and adjusted so that the bullet base did not line up with the holes in the die cured 99% this for me. I had cut lubed bases way down with the other advice given. Not too much pressure on the lube, hold the ram down firm when cranking the lube handle etc.

Dale53
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
An easy way to get the die plunger drilled is to use a center drill of the correct size. When you center drill the plunger, leave a rim (as was mentioned above) about 1/16". Change out the center drill for the drill to drill the length of the plunger. Then vent it. Quick and easy.

Dale53